Nighthawk XR500 vs Netduma R1

scrubosaurus

Both are excellent routers, but the XR500 has more power and also has 5ghz wifi where as the R1 does not and is much less powerful. It all depends on your needs, budget and expectations.

5 minutes ago, scrubosaurus said:

hey mate, tanks for the fast reply.

that depends on how much is the difference in euros :)

in this picture i would prefer 5GHz and more power ofc

there is also a mid range model called the XR300 which although not a powerful as the XR500 is more powerful than the R1. I like the R1 so don't get me wrong, it just has ti's limitations I am trying to be as unbiased as possible.

Basicly:

R1 will do as long as you don't need wifi features or you don't need PPPoE and your bandwidth is limited to a few hundred Mbps.

For better wifi, and PPPoE support etc XR500 is the better option. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, scrubosaurus said:

hello, im going for the XR 500, but it seems dificult to get it shipped to portugal, from EU

It's available on Amazon UK, that may be an option. Otherwise click buy now on this page: https://www.netgear.co.uk/gaming/xr500/ and some of those retailers may be able to ship to Portugal.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:02 PM, BIG__DOG said:

Both are excellent routers, but the XR500 has more power and also has 5ghz wifi where as the R1 does not and is much less powerful. It all depends on your needs, budget and expectations.

I cant even turn on 5gz wifi, how do I do that?

7 hours ago, BugsAndGlitches- said:

I cant even turn on 5gz wifi, how do I do that?

By default, Smart Connect is enabled. This will connect your devices to 5GHz unless they do not support it or they're too far away, in which case it will give them 2.4GHz.

If you disable Smart Connect, you can edit the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands separately. You can give them different names and passwords, then you can connect devices to the best band based on distance and speed required.

You could even disable one or the other. For example, at home I don't use the 5GHz band at all because it doesn't reach as far as 2.4GHz and my internet doesn't even go that fast anyway.