Netgear XR500, rebooted modem now router won't connect to internet.

I have Spectrum internet.

Speeds were getting sluggish so their IT had me reboot my modem, unplug it for 2 minutes.
I unplugged the modem and my router and waited a few minutes.

I plugged my modem back in and waited for the connectivity lights to come on and waited a few minutes more.

Then I plugged my router back in.

I did not mess with any of the ethernet cables.  

The issue I am having is the "Internet" light on the router is a flashing amber.
There is no wi-fi connection and my PS4 which is hardwired to the router has no connection either.

If I go straight from my modem to my PS4 I do have internet so I know that is working.

Any suggestions on how to get my router to reconnect to my modem and receive internet connection?
I have no idea if this is Netduma related but am looking for advice everywhere.

Thank you.

Can you access DumaOS? If you can, go to the settings menu and make sure that your internet connection settings are all set to "Get dynamically from ISP"

If this doesn't work, go to Setup Wizard and run through it again to see if the router picks up a connection from the modem

If this doesn't work, you could try a factory reset from Administration > Backup Settings. This will put everything back to default and wipe out any settings that could be causing an issue.

I went home and checked/tried all 3.

"Get dynamically from ISP" was checked in both boxes.
Running the setup wizard said I was not connected to the internet, check the cables etc.
Backup/Restore did nothing either.

Maybe it is hardware related as I can still hook up to the internet directly through the modem.

Is "Administration > Backup Settings" different than the paper clip in the back method or do they do the same thing?

No they both do the same thing as far as I'm aware.

Did you change any settings on your modem? When connected directly to the modem, can you access the modem's interface and check that everything looks legit? If you need login information like PPPoE, make sure it's entered either on the modem or the XR500.

If that doesn't work then maybe it's a hardware issue, although i've never seen a hardware issue like this happen before.

If you are seeing red or orange color light on router, here's what you can try:

1. Check the light on your route's modem. if you see the same red or orange color light on the modem then, contact your ISP to fix the Internet issue first.

2. Next, you must check the cables connected between the modem and router. None of them should be moist or broken.

3. Next, go to router management console and update your router's firmware, in case it's been too long that you last updated the software.

4. Weak signal strength can also be the reason for the issue. So, make sure you haven't consumed the daily data limit of your Internet pack. 

5. Otherwise, you need to upgrade your Internet package and extend the daily data limit of your network package.

6. After following all these steps, now open a Command prompt and type ‘ping google.com’ without inverted commas on screen and hit ENTER.

• 1 month later...

I hope your issue has resolved. but if you are still face the problem then you can try these steps mention below.

•  Check the wireless connection
  • if your router not working, Login to the router> open the wireless setting> change the SSID (name) to something new. after that go to the wireless security setting and change the security key (wifi password) .  And save all the setting and try connecting to the new wireless network.

If internet is not working at all.

• Power off the modem and again turn ON in the same order with a brief delay of 15-20 seconds.
  • if they are not working,  bypass the router and then you connect the computer directly to modem (to confirm if the internet not working form the ISP). if still your internet not working then contact the ISP.
  • If direct internet is working then reset and reconfigure the router.

Upgrade the firmware on the router, if the issue persists.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Aspect of Wrath said:

Same thing happened to me except when i rebooted for some reason it factory reset the router, i lost my setup and had to go through setup wizard again.

That's very odd, how did you perform the reboot? By unplugging the power cord?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it possible you clicked erase at all by mistake?

definitely not because it showed the reboot screen please wait, i always see this screen because once in awhile my high priority traffic glitches out and stays on when no console/pc games are on and since i have anti bufferbloat set to when high priority detected it slows down the internet when im not gaming sometimes. When this happens I reset the router, but now that there is a chance it might reset my settings i might not want to use reboot at all.

I have had the same problem the last three times I rebooted my spectrum internet modem and router. What has worked for me was to disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem before rebooting the modem. It obviously shouldn't matter and you shouldn't have to do this but this was the only thing that worked for me. The first time it happened I was having problems with the connection and thought my internet was down. The next morning I tried rebooting the modem and plugging directly into my iMac and the internet worked. Rebooted everything 3 days ago cause internet was slow (despite speed test giving good results, I have 400 down and 20 up) and my roommate said jokingly " So the internet will be down for 45min to an hour?" He was correct cause even though I knew the trick of unplugging the ethernet from the modem I had to reboot several times to get everything to work. I really regret buying this router and my roommate is pissed that he split the cost of this router. Praying that the new firmware will fix all the problems with this router cause for the money spent its hard to justify getting rid of it but I have thought about just trashing it a few times and replacing it. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Aspect of Wrath said:

definitely not because it showed the reboot screen please wait, i always see this screen because once in awhile my high priority traffic glitches out and stays on when no console/pc games are on and since i have anti bufferbloat set to when high priority detected it slows down the internet when im not gaming sometimes. When this happens I reset the router, but now that there is a chance it might reset my settings i might not want to use reboot at all.

That is very strange, had you done a factory reset on this version at all until now? Could be a legacy issue and now it's been reset it won't happen again.

2 hours ago, Brian_M82 said:

I have had the same problem the last three times I rebooted my spectrum internet modem and router. What has worked for me was to disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem before rebooting the modem. It obviously shouldn't matter and you shouldn't have to do this but this was the only thing that worked for me. The first time it happened I was having problems with the connection and thought my internet was down. The next morning I tried rebooting the modem and plugging directly into my iMac and the internet worked. Rebooted everything 3 days ago cause internet was slow (despite speed test giving good results, I have 400 down and 20 up) and my roommate said jokingly " So the internet will be down for 45min to an hour?" He was correct cause even though I knew the trick of unplugging the ethernet from the modem I had to reboot several times to get everything to work. I really regret buying this router and my roommate is pissed that he split the cost of this router. Praying that the new firmware will fix all the problems with this router cause for the money spent its hard to justify getting rid of it but I have thought about just trashing it a few times and replacing it. 

It certainly shouldn't take that long, why do you need to reboot it several times? What exactly isn't working after the first reboot?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, gkontos10 said:

I Have the same problem i reboot the rooter

every 4-5 days i have to reboot rooter because of the low speeds ..

after that XR500 its not getting any internet

so i have to reboot multiple times

I've PM'd you, let me know if that helps at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That is very strange, had you done a factory reset on this version at all until now? Could be a legacy issue and now it's been reset it won't happen again.

It certainly shouldn't take that long, why do you need to reboot it several times? What exactly isn't working after the first reboot?

I had to keep rebooting it because the ethernet light was amber after every reboot. And from my experience you have to reboot this router at least once a week or everything slows down. When my roommate and I were playing an online shooter about a year ago we would have to reboot the router every night before we started playing and sometimes have to leave the group to reboot only a couple of hours in.

I have the same issue. This all started when i switched from the r7000 to xr500. I used to boot my modem first then router but seems to do the same thing on xr500. Only way i can get it to work is boot router and modem at same time. Then reboot router one more time and im set. I gotta do that everytime i wanna use the xr500. I had my modem checked and was fine. I actually even replaced it and still does it. It never done this on my r7000 or previous routers... this is definitely some sort of bug

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Gamingman1278 said:

I have the same issue. This all started when i switched from the r7000 to xr500. I used to boot my modem first then router but seems to do the same thing on xr500. Only way i can get it to work is boot router and modem at same time. Then reboot router one more time and im set. I gotta do that everytime i wanna use the xr500. I had my modem checked and was fine. I actually even replaced it and still does it. It never done this on my r7000 or previous routers... this is definitely some sort of bug

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What happens otherwise, it doesn't gaing a connection? Why do you need to reboot so often? How are you rebooting the router, from the interface or pulling out the power cable/pushing on/off button?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What happens otherwise, it doesn't gaing a connection? Why do you need to reboot so often? How are you rebooting the router, from the interface or pulling out the power cable/pushing on/off button?

Yes it wont connect to dhcp. Just says disconnected. I dont reboot alot. Just once in a while for cache clearing. I reboot my router by turning it off and then unplugging. Modem is just an ac power cord so i unplug that too. But like i said. It wont connect if i boot my modem completely first. I have to boot router and modem at same time. And then reboot the router again so it will connect. Because if i boot router up and modem at same time but dont reboot router again it wont connect. So once they bootup together i need to reboot xr500 once more and im connected. But wont connect by modem first then router or any other method. Ive tried many ways. Including resets. Like before i never had this issue on the r7000 so its weird. Does the r7000 have its own dhcp server like xr500? If not then maybe Thats what’s causing it. Not 100% sure

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, gkontos10 said:

What i can see is that a lot of people has this problem with reboot.. 

And now one can give an answer... 

Why you dont give as a fix update for this?? 

A lot of people don't have it, it doesn't seem like a widespread firmware issue. Likely some compatibility issue with a specific modem/chipset. We will do any fixes necessary but as you know I couldn't say when to expect any updates.