Netgear XR500, rebooted modem now router won't connect to internet.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

A lot of people don't have it, it doesn't seem like a widespread firmware issue. Likely some compatibility issue with a specific modem/chipset. We will do any fixes necessary but as you know I couldn't say when to expect any updates.

You mind if i test out that beta version? Im really hoping there is a fix. I just dont get how it can work on my previous router but not xr500.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

A lot of people don't have it, it doesn't seem like a widespread firmware issue. Likely some compatibility issue with a specific modem/chipset. We will do any fixes necessary but as you know I couldn't say when to expect any updates.

Btw my modem is an spectrum modem e31t2v1

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Gamingman1278 said:

You mind if i test out that beta version? Im really hoping there is a fix. I just dont get how it can work on my previous router but not xr500.

There likely won't be a beta firmware but we'll let people know when an update is out. Keep in mind it might not be the next firmware that becomes available.

• 5 months later...
On 11/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Gamingman1278 said:

I have the same issue. This all started when i switched from the r7000 to xr500. I used to boot my modem first then router but seems to do the same thing on xr500. Only way i can get it to work is boot router and modem at same time. Then reboot router one more time and im set. I gotta do that everytime i wanna use the xr500. I had my modem checked and was fine. I actually even replaced it and still does it. It never done this on my r7000 or previous routers... this is definitely some sort of bug

I created an account here just to say thank you. I've had the same issue ever since I purchased the XR500. I even bought a new modem too because it never comes back up after a reboot. It's a household joke that every time I say I have to reboot because everything slowed down, the family makes plans to do other things for 3-4 hours. I don't know why but I never thought to try and boot them up simultaneously. I would always go through the process of boot modem first, then router and just accept it's a half day and a dozen reboot process. I was an hour into this reboot when I saw this. I rebooted them both together and they came right up. I am very grateful you posted this. Saved us several hours of headaches during COVID

On 12/1/2019 at 11:33 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Just so you're aware, it happens with both my SB6100 and MB8600 modems. I've done factory resets, firmware upgrades, reboots by interface, reboots by power, new modem, disconnecting every single device, etc and the ONLY thing that has worked is booting the router and modem simultaneously as opposed to modem first, then router. There is definitely an issue here. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with Motorola modems themselves. I don't know but there is definitely a problem

2 hours ago, localsocalgirl74 said:

Just so you're aware, it happens with both my SB6100 and MB8600 modems. I've done factory resets, firmware upgrades, reboots by interface, reboots by power, new modem, disconnecting every single device, etc and the ONLY thing that has worked is booting the router and modem simultaneously as opposed to modem first, then router. There is definitely an issue here. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with Motorola modems themselves. I don't know but there is definitely a problem

Same, it’s annoying 

• 10 months later...

It’s April 2021 and I am having so many issues with my router I could cry. Between the device not connecting to the internet at all to constant drop outs to packet loss. I am sending out an SOS to anyone who can actually help. I have an XR500. I would like to know 

1. what firmware for this device actually works? I need a version that doesn’t drop the connection every 15 minutes. 
2. How are the QoS settings different than that of the R2? I used to have an R2 but the hardware failed on me 2 times in 6 months. When the R2 worked, the experience was great. I had minimal lag and no packet loss. Now on my XR500, I have very similar QoS settings and GeoFiltering and I get consistent packet loss when I play any game. 

18 minutes ago, Nick Paranzine said:

It’s April 2021 and I am having so many issues with my router I could cry. Between the device not connecting to the internet at all to constant drop outs to packet loss. I am sending out an SOS to anyone who can actually help. I have an XR500. I would like to know 

1. what firmware for this device actually works? I need a version that doesn’t drop the connection every 15 minutes. 
2. How are the QoS settings different than that of the R2? I used to have an R2 but the hardware failed on me 2 times in 6 months. When the R2 worked, the experience was great. I had minimal lag and no packet loss. Now on my XR500, I have very similar QoS settings and GeoFiltering and I get consistent packet loss when I play any game. 

Following another thread on here I attempted to downgrade the firmware to another version. Another world of headaches. I’m so deeply disappointed in this product if I can’t get this to work before I have to work tomorrow I’m going to return this. For $250 you would think the device would work flawlessly. I’ve had more luck with $150 Asus Routers. I don’t want to bash NetGear but how are so many people having the same issues and there seems to be no solution?

• Administrators

@Nick Paranzine what firmware version are you on currently? The latest beta build has a fix that should help with disconnections, it also runs 3.0 and has fixes from us. I'd recommend you give it a try https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2080222 make sure to factory reset after for a fresh install

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@Nick Paranzine what firmware version are you on currently? The latest beta build has a fix that should help with disconnections, it also runs 3.0 and has fixes from us. I'd recommend you give it a try https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/m-p/2080222 make sure to factory reset after for a fresh install

I am going to try this firmware now.