QOS issues (again)

ArcaPulse

No difference if you remember the original R1 graphs were with a download rather than YouTube videos. I also just did a very quick tests with a large download test file with the same results.

Well I’m on my gap year from uni so all my friends have gone to uni already. I’ve just text my neighbors and neither really understood why id have to do it as they aren’t really techy and seemed pretty unwilling unfortunately. I’ve had a bit of a conversation with battlenonsense who’s a YouTuber and he does networking and he seemed to have similar speeds to me and had a similar experience with the R1 in terms of the spikes.

Edit: one of my friends is home tomorrow afternoon as I didn’t realise he commutes. Unless his parents are working from home during that time we should be free to mess around. But his dad has several data servers and stuff so it still might not be possible as they have a very exotic setup.

• Administrators

Yes that's right, so I assume that hasn't been changed? Could you try a test please, DMZ/port forward all ports to one device for testing and re-do PingPlotter w/QoS & saturation - I want to see if there may be some miscommunication on the router on what ports are required for downloads/streams.

So just for clarification you want me to put my PC in the XR500 DMZ and re do the ping plotter tests while loading up a YouTube video on my phone? Also yes I left WMW on as that was what the default value was.

Or do you want all saturation to come from the PC as well?

Ok, tried both of Zennon's suggestions but unfortunately no change. I went to my friends house but his parents were working from home and looking at their internet connection/setup  it wouldn't be something I'd be confortable messing with. 

Surely having a faulty R1 and then a faulty XR500 is almost impossible right? I bought it off amazon and also have an Ex7700 which is still in it's box as I thought I may have to return it, I'm easily within the window for returns if anyone has anymore ideas for me to try. Otherwise I'll return it tomorrow unfortunately.

Try this set up.

Congestion control set to always 70% each slider.

Under bandwidth allocation for for download update and reset distribution

For upload update and reset distribution

At the bottom of the same page under traffic prioritisation.

Untick DumaOs prioritised games.

Add you console manually by clicking add device.

Reboot from the GUI.

• Administrators

I actually meant to do the DMZ on the device that is actually doing the downloading/streaming, in this case your phone. It is very unlikely yes but these things can happen. Try the DMZ test again with the device doing the downloading/streaming in the DMZ and see what happens.

I tried Zennon's suggestion once again and it's a good one, I found that as a solution on a number of other posts, unfortunately not for me. I did a sanity check and just left the XR500 running ping plotter with nothing on the network and it was a constant 8.5ms ping. I then tried my phone in the DMZ with the same results as before, ping spikes up to 80ms with it being the only device on the network.

I have the ping plotter saved if you're desperate to see it but it's the same as the others and really clogs up the thread. Any more ideas?

Not sure if its relevant but I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. After much testing and head scratching it turned out that the filters in the little white box that the fttc comes in to the house on needed the filters replacing. Might be worth a try.

I actually had this problem a few weeks ago. They’ve actually just been replaced by the engineer and my speeds retuned to normal and even increased by about 5mbps over what we used to get. We have the 5C master socket from BT now. If you have any more advice Bagsta69 then it would be useful as you had a similar experience. But any input is welcome as usual!

• Administrators

You did the same test direct to the TP Link is that right and it produced similar results? If that's the case it would indicate and issue either between the modem/router or the line. The topic is quite long now so forgive me but do you get this same issue if you go direct to the hub? They should have some form of QoS as well you could enable.

The Bt hub is useless, it has no QOS. I have tried the modem as the first device as well as the BT hub. I have then tried them both to the Tp link to XR500 and straight to XR500 with no TP link in the middle. All produced the same results. I might try knocking on my other neighbors door tomorrow and asking if I can test on their line. One thing I noticed when i got the modem was 42million aprox HEC error on the line, they never go up or down, but even with a factory reset they remain. Thought I would just post the stats from the modem here.modem.thumb.png.ebe824f6af48ee8dea3180e2f877c392.png 

I just left it for 30-40 mins and gamed for a bit, went and re-checked the errors and they are all the same values still (am im still lagging). I remeber when i got the modem the values were the same and they haven't changed since. 

Share excess massively reduces lag. But that's not why i bought the router and I can't be on the router 24/7 changing bandwidth values.