QOS issues (again)

ArcaPulse

This was the result from the 40% up and down anti-bufferbloat on always with no rules and Duma OS classified off. The only device on the network is my iphone where I was downloading a movie, halfway through roughly I stopped this and watched a youtube video. The higher percentage settings produced worse results.I had device allocation on the default (I reset distribution before the test).

pingggg.png

• Administrators

Did you say you did the PingPlotter tests were done using WiFi on the PC? If so please use wired direct to the router if possible. There are no other devices connected upstream of the router, not connected to the TP-link correct?

So PC was on (new) cat6 Ethernet. Nothing else was connected to the network. The only device other than my PC on the internet was my phone which was being used to load the network. This was on the R1 WiFi. The power line adapters were off and all other Ethernet devices were turned off at the mains ( no devices uses the R1s WiFi due to its location in the house). Nothing was connected upstream either, the only thing plugged into the tp link is the netduma, and the tp link has WiFi turned off.

This is the result from the Tp link ( set up is Modem > TP link > R1 . The R1 was removed for this test and no other devices were on the network). If you can't quite read the ping values then it was going between 8-10ms the whole time here.

1536215239_TPlinknodownload.thumb.png.6ba81b8a82aa2628410e206f8bb25d2a.png

This was the result with the tp-link with my phone being the only device connected to it's wifi network. I was downloading movies for the whole duration of the test. The yellow indicated the above 100ms zone if the ping values are too blurry.

1668319301_tplinkdownload.thumb.png.65256e7274458737f6bd08eff730c4f9.png

Yes correct. I tried with Duma Classified OS only, which made it worse. The first ping plotter (the other day) was from no QOS rules, Duma Classified disabled and anti-bufferbloat on always and set at 40% (I tried from 100% down in steps of 10% and each one got slightly lower spikes) and the same as today with no other devices on the network. Any ideas as to the cause or source of the issue?

I just tried again with the same test condition excpet replacing the iphone with a laptop (Samsung), exact same results as before, tried from both Netduma and TP link. Perhaps slightly less frequent spikes from the Tp link but it was far far worse this time from the netudma, but that may just be run to run variance. 

I was just thinking about trying the original R1 firmware? Since I got my R1 in December last year I’ve never had the original firmware, only Duma OS and there’s only been problems. Perhaps I should try this?

• Administrators

I couldn't say when they'd get back as they're usually quite busy. Could you let me know what the CPU usage on the router is usually and also when playing a video on your phone? Yes that would be a good idea too, please try that.

So the original firmware produced the exact same problem. When watching youtube on my phone (only device on the network and back on Duma OS) the R1 goes between 60%-100% usage, no prioritsation is taking place only anti-bufferbloat on 50% when high priority is detected (which is wasn't as it correctly recognised the phone as normal traffic).

Hi Fraser,

ive emailed the address and we're in the process of sorting everything out. I’ve got an XR500 arriving on Monday as well as an EX7700 , I thought Id give it another go before trying another product. I was also wondering if there’s similarities between your feature set and the ones seen on ubiquity edge router in particular Smart Queue? That’s the other option that I nearly took but I have faith in the new products. I also had a question about anti bufferbloat. Does it limit the total bandwidth, or just the maximum available to each device? And can high priority traffic max use of that the unused bandwidth or is it just left idle there? And lastly, with the device bandwidth manager (the flower thing) do the values set in there mean the minimum bandwidth that the given device will receive, and how does this work with share excess? Is it only inactive devices that it takes unused bandwidth from or any spare capacity say if the Xbox is using 1mbps when it has 5 allocated? Thanks in advance and also thanks for your help with the R1!

• Administrators

I couldn't speak on the similarities very well as I haven't used the ubiquiti solutions but DumaOS was made from scratch including our QoS solution.

You can do both! High Priority Traffic supercedes QoS entirely so it's effectively using that unused bandwidth. That's maximum amount a device can get, with share excess enabled a device can receive more that its allocation if it needs it and other devices do not need their allocated bandwidth. Unticking share excess prevents this and sets the hard limit.

Ah perfect, so I’ll set everything up again using default OS classification and do bufferbloat tests to see the optimal settings perfect! The reason I wouldn’t go any lower than 40% for the anti-bufferbloat is because I thought that bandwidth was made redundant entirely. I’ll make sure I test all ranges for the XR500. I’ll keep you posted. If I have any issues I should make another thread on the nighthawk subsection correct? But if there’s no issues I’ll just post an update here is that ok?

Hi Fraser,

Im struggling to get the XR500 to get an internet connection? I ran the set up wizard and it only got a download speed but failed for upload so I re ran with the same result. I’ve left all settings as default and inputted the PPoE login for BT. I reset my modem and XR500 still no change. I’ve also tried with the TPlink and it can get a connection.  I really don’t have space to have the tp link there as well as the XR500 (I didn’t realise how big it was).

Although the speed test worked I can’t connect to the internet on any device.