Opinions/Thoughts on IPV6?

Hey all, 

I know it’s recommended to disable IPV6 but what is the reasoning since it is supported? I have it enabled & it shows “IPV4 & IPV6” being utilized on my Xbox & seemed to have good gameplay.  I’ve seen & heard both great gameplay & not-so-great gameplay stories with it enabled. 

Would like to get some insight on this (good & bad), as I know there’s tons of wisdom on this forum. 

Thanks as always!

It's mainly because DumaOS has been designed with IPv4 in mind, so several features might be more prone to weird behaviour with IPv6. That said, if you're not experiencing any problems, you should be fine using IPv6.

I know that the devs are interested in improving our IPv6 compatibility in future. We didn't think most people would want it, but we do receive questions about it.

46 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

It's mainly because DumaOS has been designed with IPv4 in mind, so several features might be more prone to weird behaviour with IPv6. That said, if you're not experiencing any problems, you should be fine using IPv6.

I know that the devs are interested in improving our IPv6 compatibility in future. We didn't think most people would want it, but we do receive questions about it.

Thanks for the fast response!! Yes, it seems like it’s being used more commonly lately. Not sure if I’ll know if it’s hindering or helping my performance or not though. How would I know? Seems good so far but so many variables!

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Why would you think people would not want to use IPv6 when its the latest networking protocol to replace IPv4 and is now running on most ISP's at least in the UK and many in the USA i'm sure.? My ISP, IDNet has had it for over 5 years now.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

Just chiming in here. This may become a problem. I found this server on Xbox. They specific IPv6 servers.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 7.50.49 AM.png

Thanks, it may be something we need to look out for but in theory it should be fine as is.

Guest Killhippie
On 7/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah but is there really any advantage to using it in the home? I was under the impression that it was just slower and longer, but apparently it's more complicated than that.

Considering there are no more blocks of IPv4 addresses, yes. Any router in 2019 that cant use IPv6 is pretty much dead in the water these days as most ISP's now prefer IPv6 over IPv4 and use it like BT etc. Also a whole bunch of other reasons, but I'm heading out so search away ;) 

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I saw that people in France were paying extra for IPv6 which confused me because surely you should have to pay to have an IPv4 address considering the scarcity value?

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/samih_souissi/accelerating-the-transition-to-ipv6-in-france

I just love how a 300 dollar router comes with features that don’t work 2 years into its life cycle. It’s just how I’d love to go purchase a brand new car with a non functioning A/C even though it’s an included feature. Then for 2 years I’m told that it’s a relatively new feature that i don’t need and I should just roll the windows down and be quiet. 

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Durty said:

I just love how a 300 dollar router comes with features that don’t work 2 years into its life cycle. It’s just how I’d love to go purchase a brand new car with a non functioning A/C even though it’s an included feature. Then for 2 years I’m told that it’s a relatively new feature that i don’t need and I should just roll the windows down and be quiet. 

R7800 had IPv6 in January 2016 when it was released yes that's the same hardware as the XR500 so it's really old, So the XR500 could use IPv6 but the Devs from Netduma decided the most up to date networking protocol that the hardware already supported was not worth re-writing DumaOS to utilise not that even when the Xbox uses it! 🤨    

So this happened.......I upgraded my speeds from 200/10 to 400/20 with Spectrum & experimented with some settings while adjusting the QOS on the R1 for the new speeds. With IPV6 off, I wasn’t able to get over 300.....even with sliders to 100 & anti bufferbloat set to “never” and yes, “share excess” is ticked. Turned on IPV6 & boom......not only did I get 400/20 but I got 437/22!!

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So this happened.......I upgraded my speeds from 200/10 to 400/20 with Spectrum & experimented with some settings while adjusting the QOS on the R1 for the new speeds. With IPV6 off, I wasn’t able to get over 300.....even with sliders to 100 & anti bufferbloat set to “never” and yes, “share excess” is ticked. Turned on IPV6 & boom......not only did I get 400/20 but I got 437/22!!

We usually recommend it off for the full speeds. I assume your ISP is primarily using IPv6 so that makes more sense, thats great!

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We usually recommend it off for the full speeds. I assume your ISP is primarily using IPv6 so that makes more sense, thats great!

More the reason why it should be fully supported in the next firmware update

Guest Killhippie

This really sums it up.

"If you want IPv4 addresses in Europe, there is now a literal waitlist to join.

In a new policy approved and posted on Tuesday, the regional internet registry (RIR) that serves Europe, the Middle East and Central Asia, dubbed RIPE, has decided that the only way to deal with the ever-diminishing number of internet addresses is for everyone to form an orderly queue.

"On application for IPv4 resources, LIRs will receive IPv4 addresses according to the following," notes the new policy. And the first bulletpoint? "All allocation requests are placed on a first-come-first-served waiting list. No guarantees are given about the waiting time."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/31/ipv4_address_queue/