Geo filter not working at all: Destiny 2

I posted a couple comments on another thread, but this needs to be addressed. Since the destiny servers were all white listed, geofiltering doesnt work at all. Not in strict mode, regardless of the range, etc. It is CONSTANT connections to INDIVIDUAL players from way outside the range of the geo filter. 

What is the solution for this, or does geofiltering just flat out not work for D2? 

I should note that moving the center of my geofilter (and rebooting) in D2 does not actually change what servers or what players I connect to. 

If you cant deny servers, you cant geofilter. Forcing all destiny servers to be white listed seems to make the geofilter not work.

The ability to toggle Strict Mode was implemented primarily because of the weird way Destiny does PvP, so make sure Strict Mode is OFF if it's not already, it must always be off for Destiny.

What country are you from? I'm only asking so that we can see why certain matches are being chosen over others.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, Netduma Alex said:

The ability to toggle Strict Mode was implemented primarily because of the weird way Destiny does PvP, so make sure Strict Mode is OFF if it's not already, it must always be off for Destiny.

What country are you from? I'm only asking so that we can see why certain matches are being chosen over others.

I am from the US. No matter where I set the geo-filter, I get matches with SOLO people from all over the world. They are not being brought in by a fireteam leader connecting to them, they seem to being brought in because you dont allow me to black list servers that people in denmark and Japan are connecting to.

This router simply doesnt work at all with Destiny2 since you whitelisted all the servers. Since this is the game I play, it is dishartening that the router doesnt work at all with D2. Especially when it USED to work when I could deny servers from out of the country. 

Also, you guys should get your suggestions in order, since the last time I created a topic to discuss this, it was suggested to use strict mode (and that it would lead to more disconnected games, but better connections). Now you are claiming to NEVER use strict mode. Regardless, strict mode or not, the geofilter simply doesnt work at all for Destiny anymore. 

Can you please either admit that it doesnt work at all, or give some advice on how to set it up so it works. Right now at least 50% of players I match against are from other continents, when my geo filter is set to 500km in my area. To test if it made any difference at all, I moved it to Europe, where I got the same random matchmaking, as evidence that the geofilter doesnt do anything at all with D2. 

I see you play on PS4, maybe you can fireteam with me and explain how my setup is not right. 

• Administrators

You can't block players from joining a server so theres nothing you can do about specifically, what area of the US are you - west? Are you seeing people in game with connections that are causing you issues or is it just the Geo-Filter that is prompting your concern? 

Destiny works using a Hybrid P2P/Server system and so blocking servers can lead to disconnections mid game, it wasn't always like this and doesn't happen every single time but it does happen a lot. We whitelisted servers that we identified it communicates with occasionally for this purpose. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:36 PM, Bmann said:

I second that Hybrid P2P = Destiny 2.  I use geofiltering without issues and Destiny2 is all I play via xbox.  I do toggle it off to do ping assist from time to time just to get players faster in early morning and off peak times.

Which router and firmware version are you using? Geo-filtering doesn’t work at all on my xr300 with the latest firmware.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Grandall said:

Which router and firmware version are you using? Geo-filtering doesn’t work at all on my xr300 with the latest firmware.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What issues are you having exactly? Are you using the Destiny profile on the Geo-Filter?

I have xr500 and destiny 2 geo filter works but most of the time I have to use strict mode for my UK based matches. The problem is that I don't think minimum of 69 miles is useful in greater London as it pretty much matches you with someone who is in a fire team and drags their whole team from China in the game! The goeip is probably not accurate to the last mile anyway so matchmaking is also inaccurate. 

For my xr500 geo filter settings

Xbox x on static IP.

Filtering mode on with my location in greater London and 69-300 miles. Strict mode is on.

My problem is whether the range can be stricter. Any advise?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Immy said:

I have xr500 and destiny 2 geo filter works but most of the time I have to use strict mode for my UK based matches. The problem is that I don't think minimum of 69 miles is useful in greater London as it pretty much matches you with someone who is in a fire team and drags their whole team from China in the game! The goeip is probably not accurate to the last mile anyway so matchmaking is also inaccurate. 

For my xr500 geo filter settings

Xbox x on static IP.

Filtering mode on with my location in greater London and 69-300 miles. Strict mode is on.

My problem is whether the range can be stricter. Any advise?

So you're saying you're getting games with people far away who are connecting to UK games? If that's the case then we can't do anything about that, as you're not the host of the game we can't prevent them joining. We don't usually recommend a radius that small or strict on for Destiny, that's not what the profile sets it to. What's the average ping you're getting to the game?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What issues are you having exactly? Are you using the Destiny profile on the Geo-Filter?

Yes I'm using the Destiny profile on the Geo-filter, with my location mid-Pacific. I've solo-loaded into a strike only once out of approx 20 attempts, including after hard resets and adding/deleting console etc.

6 hours ago, Grandall said:

I second this, I have an XR500 coming tomorrow to test as my XR300 doesn't geo-filter with D2.  If it works with the same settings as my XR300 then I think it is safe to assume it is an XR300 issue.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That'll be because you have strict mode off, if you want to go solo then you will need to enable strict mode but it may kick you.

It doesn't allow you to do this even with strict mode on using an XR300.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

It doesn't allow you to do this even with strict mode on using an XR300.

If thats the case then it will be due to the whitelisted servers that are required and players connecting to it, I have asked the team to test to see if they are still necessary

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If thats the case then it will be due to the whitelisted servers that are required and players connecting to it, I have asked the team to test to see if they are still necessary

Thanks Fraser 😁, having said that it is working better with location set to Arctic and auto ping on.

Am now filtering most people out except in strikes.

Maybe someone can help me with my problem. I have 2 PS4. Both added one PS4 when I have geo filter on does awsome  like if I set it and go into a strike it will load me in all by my self ...but my 2nd PS4 get matched with people every time both set up the same ...trying to get the 2nd to do the same ...I am trying to get it to only match up with my 2nd PS4 

16 minutes ago, Vaporishend said:

Maybe someone can help me with my problem. I have 2 PS4. Both added one PS4 when I have geo filter on does awsome  like if I set it and go into a strike it will load me in all by my self ...but my 2nd PS4 get matched with people every time both set up the same ...trying to get the 2nd to do the same ...I am trying to get it to only match up with my 2nd PS4 

I was having the same issue and I couldn't figure out why but it went away after a factory reset.

Only difference I have at the end is I didn't set static IPs for the consoles, just left the router to assign them.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Not due to whitelisted servers. The XR300 doesn't geofilter the same as the XR500. The XR500 allows you to load into strikes solo without connecting to anyone else. You cannot do this on the XR300.

Geo filtering isn't working in XR300 at the minute.

1 hour ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

Not due to whitelisted servers. The XR300 doesn't geofilter the same as the XR500. The XR500 allows you to load into strikes solo without connecting to anyone else. You cannot do this on the XR300.

Geo filtering isn't working in XR300 at the minute.

Holgates and I are real-life mates who have been trying to figure this out. Just to clarify, he now has an XR300 and a 500. So, Alex and Fraser, can you get the devs to think about what’s different in firmware(?) between the two that knocks out filtering on the 300? 

On 5/17/2019 at 9:09 AM, WACK said:

I posted a couple comments on another thread, but this needs to be addressed. Since the destiny servers were all white listed, geofiltering doesnt work at all. Not in strict mode, regardless of the range, etc. It is CONSTANT connections to INDIVIDUAL players from way outside the range of the geo filter. 

What is the solution for this, or does geofiltering just flat out not work for D2? 

I should note that moving the center of my geofilter (and rebooting) in D2 does not actually change what servers or what players I connect to. 

If you cant deny servers, you cant geofilter. Forcing all destiny servers to be white listed seems to make the geofilter not work.

Are you using the XR300?

No. 500

If I could get some troubleshooting assistance that would be amazing. The "it works for me" just makes me want to throw this router away. Clearly it is a defective unit. 

Maybe my QoS or ports or geofilter or something is causing this. I just cant deal with it anymore. I feel like a my comcast POS is better than this setup. Maybe I need to factory reset it? Honestly, I am in no position to buy new gear, so it is really to the point of just deleting Destiny, and going back to my Comcast provided equipment and shelving this setup at this point. 

I love to play games, but my current network setup makes enjoying Destiny impossible. 

Factory reset and install the latest firmware.

I set my location to the Arctic and radius to around 100 miles.

Strict mode off, filtering on, ping assist 0, fast search off.

Then try and load into tower, see if you're solo.

So, I have reached a unsustainable frustration level with Destiny. If this router setup cant solve it, I guess I am done with the game. Maybe its my Elo or whatever, but with geofiltering on, I just finished a game where solo players from the southern tip of British Columbia to eastern Colorado to southern Mexico matched against me in Quickplay. I have a 750km radius on my geofilter. That is ~2800km radius to the matchmaking. 

Here is my ping to 8.8.8.8 during the gameag7praH.png 

Here is my connection through a jitter testo50B3g6.png

So my general connection is fine. And here is gameplay with geo filter on. 

Literally every single game I play has the same EXTREME latency. It is to the point that I am on the cusp of deleting the game if I cant solve it. 

My ping to 8.8.8.8 is stable with no jitter or packetloss. My ping to local Bungie servers is relatively stable. That is why I am looking for an honest answer to tell me if geofiltering does ANYTHING for Destiny. It seems like it does not, and that makes the game not worth playing for me. 

Its great that other people dont have this issue. I do. 

17 minutes ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

Factory reset and install the latest firmware.

I set my location to the Arctic and radius to around 100 miles.

Strict mode off, filtering on, ping assist 0, fast search off.

Then try and load into tower, see if you're solo.

Thanks, I'll try it.

I am solo in the Tower. Also my postmaster is full.