Geo filter not working at all: Destiny 2

15 minutes ago, WACK said:

Thanks, I'll try it.

These are my settings I was using last night, went straight to bed after I'd finished. They were filtering everyone out. Except the ones I'd whitelisted. It did miss one player i was in party with.Screenshot_20190805-080914.thumb.jpg.47cd5f06f78b1c4c035290ea544f23be.jpg

22 minutes ago, WACK said:

Thanks, I'll try it.

I am solo in the Tower. Also my postmaster is full. 

What happens if you load a strike? Do you go in solo? If so then it's geofiltering correctly.

Those laggy players are coming from the hosts connection. So you're connected to a reasonable host using geofiltering, but they're connected to crappy players across the world. Your router can't stop them connecting to other players. If it were possible to somehow make sure you're the host then you'd only connect to good connections.

22 hours ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

What happens if you load a strike? Do you go in solo? If so then it's geofiltering correctly.

Those laggy players are coming from the hosts connection. So you're connected to a reasonable host using geofiltering, but they're connected to crappy players across the world. Your router can't stop them connecting to other players. If it were possible to somehow make sure you're the host then you'd only connect to good connections.

The problem is that even against SOLO players I am matchmaking against people in FAR distant regions. When my geofilter is set to 100 miles, and I matchmake against solo players from china, that means geofilter doesnt work.

The problem is that bungie checks with servers outside the region for elo (or their version of it) compatible players. If the best match for my skill level is in China or Brazil or both, Bungies authentication servers are permitted to pull in any connection at all. Because this router doesnt allow me to control those servers anymore, it doesnt geofilter. I can force no matchmaking, or matchmake against everyone as though geofilter isnt on at all. those are the options since they forced whitelisting of ALL servers. 

I really don’t understand how Bungies remote severs can force an override of local settings? I’d expect the default to be a failure to connect at all rather than Bungie deciding what is best for us.

1 hour ago, WACK said:

The problem is that even against SOLO players I am matchmaking against people in FAR distant regions. When my geofilter is set to 100 miles, and I matchmake against solo players from china, that means geofilter doesnt work.

The problem is that bungie checks with servers outside the region for elo (or their version of it) compatible players. If the best match for my skill level is in China or Brazil or both, Bungies authentication servers are permitted to pull in any connection at all. Because this router doesnt allow me to control those servers anymore, it doesnt geofilter. I can force no matchmaking, or matchmake against everyone as though geofilter isnt on at all. those are the options since they forced whitelisting of ALL servers.

What happens if you try to load into a strike with those settings? Do you match anyone?

If you do, then geofiltering isn't working as it should.

4 hours ago, Grandall said:

I really don’t understand how Bungies remote severs can force an override of local settings? I’d expect the default to be a failure to connect at all rather than Bungie deciding what is best for us.

Well with Strict Mode disabled, the Bungie servers will always be connected to. If you attempt to block a peer connection, Bungie routes it through their own servers instead, which of course have no idea about your local Geo-Filter settings.

If this server was blocked, the game would just be disconnected.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well with Strict Mode disabled, the Bungie servers will always be connected to. If you attempt to block a peer connection, Bungie routes it through their own servers instead, which of course have no idea about your local Geo-Filter settings.

If this server was blocked, the game would just be disconnected.

This doesn't happen on the XR500. No peers whatsoever can connect to your Xbox, not directly, or through a server. If that were the case you'd eventually connect to someone in say quickplay.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, HOLGATES HERE said:

This doesn't happen on the XR500. No peers whatsoever can connect to your Xbox, not directly, or through a server. If that were the case you'd eventually connect to someone in say quickplay.

Here is a link to a couple of videos. One show the router denying all attempts to connect. The other is of the loading screen in D2. No peers are found for a good 3/4 minutes (I started recording after launching quickplay). Then in spectating mode it connects to peers.

edit: sorry about the monstrous potato video 🤣

• 7 months later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, I have a query that seems to fit this thread, and I have used some of this threads info to confuse myself even further. So if you could please help!

I have an XR500, and play Destiny 2 on PS4, and PC. So when I load into the tower, using the Geofilter as described earlier (Seting the home point in the middle of the Atlantic, at about 100 miles across, and filtering), on the console I am alone in the tower, and can solo load into strikes. This is not the case for the PC, though the geofilter map seems to be filtering Triangles appear all over the place, but I am not alone, and cannot solo load into strikes. I have factory reset my XR500 so many times now, and just can't see how this can happen on the same system. I have 2 PS4's and both work, but not the PC, though it used to. I have set the PC to console mode, both XBOX and PS. Also flushed the cloud.

I am starting to think that they (Bungie etc.) have cottoned on to you, and soon they will do to the PS servers what they have done to the PC servers. Is this paranoia or a real concern?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, I have a query that seems to fit this thread, and I have used some of this threads info to confuse myself even further. So if you could please help!

I have an XR500, and play Destiny 2 on PS4, and PC. So when I load into the tower, using the Geofilter as described earlier (Seting the home point in the middle of the Atlantic, at about 100 miles across, and filtering), on the console I am alone in the tower, and can solo load into strikes. This is not the case for the PC, though the geofilter map seems to be filtering Triangles appear all over the place, but I am not alone, and cannot solo load into strikes. I have factory reset my XR500 so many times now, and just can't see how this can happen on the same system. I have 2 PS4's and both work, but not the PC, though it used to. I have set the PC to console mode, both XBOX and PS. Also flushed the cloud.

I am starting to think that they (Bungie etc.) have cottoned on to you, and soon they will do to the PS servers what they have done to the PC servers. Is this paranoia or a real concern?

Destiny has switched to using a new system on Steam very recently so it requires us to test the game again and see if it will be possible to bring it back to the filtering level of the consoles. No need to worry, they're not trying to counter act us or anything like that.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
15 hours ago, mirkoG said:

Hello I hope anyone can help me. Me and my friend got a netduma r1 and we are trying to matchmaking each other in competitive playlist. The thing is that when we try to do so, we still match up with random people. We both use the same location and I know people are able to do this but I don't know which settings are required. Do we need to whitelist everyone in our fireteams? Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The router wasn't designed to do this, it has been possible in the past but it doesn't seem possible any more. Due to the fact that the game uses servers and P2P it would be hard to force it to use one over the other as you'll likely connect to other people through a server. It also sounds like cheating which we don't support.