Not getting close to full speeds PPPoE 80/20 but everything else works

green1234

My line is sync'd 76/20 and my original ISP BT HH5 used as modem/router gets 70/19.4 (the new BT HH6 only got 66/17), we used to get 73/20 with the old sky hub.

My BT HH5 via PPPoE > Vigor 130 modem gets 66/17

My NetDuma R1 via PPPoE > Vigor 130 modem gets:

55/18 with all QOS off  (this gives mild ping instability/buffer bloat but still better than the BTHH5):

2028181125_DISABLEQOS-55down18up.thumb.JPG.e1722e2feb4d51d3d8a5aadfb901fc6b.JPG

37/18 with QOS back on and Buffer Bloat set to NEVER

209227393_NEVERenablegoodputenableQOS37down18up.thumb.JPG.6d0e17dc7dd7649ddf21adad26dbccea.JPG

33/11 with Buffer Bloat set to ALWAYS 70% (this gives very nice ping stability/buffer bloat and is a great thing the netduma achieves) 2 Test Images:

1919107901_ALWAYS-enablegoodputenableQOS33down11up.thumb.JPG.0502a46de0601f219a3dfb61e8f50b84.JPG

1349737140_ALWAYS2-enablegoodputenableQOS33down11up.thumb.JPG.a1883319c08ec3040a59f21699aed8fc.JPG

The DumaOS picks up high priority traffic, but only after I changed the two pcs to Xbox, it picked up the High Priority last night for each PC playing league of legends - again this is great.

I set anti buffer bloat to 'only when high priority traffic detected', settled at bandwidth as 60 /20 , sliders at 70% and left goodput on.

1. why do I get a crippled 37 download speeds on speedtest when buffer bloat is inactive but still get a full upload of 18?

2. why do I still get occasional lag spikes of 100ms when I leave buffer bloat as always - this usually happens when the connection has been idle a while and then I do a speed test.

1199950105_lagspikes.JPG.6e922e515634569de87bba180ea7b33e.JPG

I understand ping stability is better than bandwidth but it would be nice if I could get closer to 55Mbps or even the 66Mbps when the anti-buffer bloat is inactive.

Firstly I wonder if the Download and Upload bandwidth settings are correct, since the predicted results from the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders are so far off. The Download and Upload bandwidth has to be manually updated, so you'd need to disconnect everything and do a speedtest on a totally clear connection so get your accurate bandwidth. I assume from your post though that you know what you're doing in this regard.

Another thing I wonder is whether you've accidentally turned off the Share Excess option in the Bandwidth Allocation options window. There's actually a separate toggle for Download and Upload, and based on your results I wonder if the Upload excess is being shared, but not the Download? Just an idea.

Regarding the lag spikes... What are your current Traffic Prioritization settings? Could I get a screenshot?

Thanks, I have tried several settings for bandwidth:

80/20,  76/20 (the sync speeds),

66/20 (the best I could achieve without the Netduma)

55/18. (the best the netduma achieved without QOS)

I even tried 95/23 so that 50% gave me 33/9, but even then with bufferbloat set to never I still didn't get back to my full download speed (55 would be fine) but I always got my full upload.

I seem to need to reboot often to get things to work.

I have attached my traffic prioritization settings and a recent ping plot after a reboot 20 min ago, the ping is mostly below 20ms and includes browsing, emails and speedtests. The very first speed test gave an odd almost full speed upload result of 17Mbps and is also a small ping spike at 14:45 (the download was throttled at around 33Mbps and didn't create spike), the router was set to Always 70%. When I did another test a few minutes later the upload settled back to around 11 Mbps and there was no ping spike. So I assume the netduma needs some time to settle down and apply the bufferbloat settings after a reboot.

prio1.JPG

ping plot.JPG

Just to follow up, I did another speed test. I didn't change anything, all I had done was go into menu to open up the traffic prioritisation in order to get the screen shot. The speed test gave 37/18 but a small ping spike again, especially on upload and the upload speeds have nearly doubled.

strange-changed nothing- just went into menu to do screenshots.JPG

hmmmm.................I am wondering wether or not you are now interleaved, if you mess around with your connection it looks like there is a fault on your line and dslam invokes interleaving which throttles your speeds. There is some consensus regarding the vigor 130 and wether or not it  has issues on bt lines and I know personally 3 people with that modem that have speed and line issues only when using that modem. If your connect your hh5 and look at your line stats it will tell you if interleaving has been applied to your connection, if that is the case it can take from 9 - 11 days for interleaving to be lifted and fastpath to be reapplied. This can also be checked on the vigor console display option to show your line stats also, but I suggest strongly you use the hh5 for this.

15 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

hmmmm.................I am wondering wether or not you are now interleaved, if you mess around with your connection it looks like there is a fault on your line and dslam invokes interleaving which throttles your speeds. There is some consensus regarding the vigor 130 and wether or not it  has issues on bt lines and I know personally 3 people with that modem that have speed and line issues only when using that modem. If your connect your hh5 and look at your line stats it will tell you if interleaving has been applied to your connection, if that is the case it can take from 9 - 11 days for interleaving to be lifted and fastpath to be reapplied. This can also be checked on the vigor console display option to show your line stats also, but I suggest strongly you use the hh5 for this.

Usually the sync speeds change when on interleaving, so if he's defo getting 80 or 76/20 sync, its probably not interleaving the cause.

When on interleaving, my 55/10 dropped to as low as 18/10... upload speed usually unaffected.

If I turn off all QOS I get back to 55/18. During all the fiddling I have kept the modem on the whole time, even when I changed from the BTHH5 to the NetdumaR1. I kept it sync'd as I assumed this would not to trigger dslam, but i could be wrong. The reboots have been the router, not the modem/line sync. When I put the HH5 back on instead of the Netduma R1 I got 66/17 again.

But I'll look at the modem sync speeds when I get the chance, but can't fiddle now anymore as everyone home and it drives the household crazy. I have attached my broadband quality monitor, the packet loses are when I rebooted the router. Apart from the middle of the night, I don't know what happened then.

bqm.JPG

• Administrators

You mentioned that you changed your PCs to consoles in Device Manager, is this still applied? If so then take a look at Traffic Prioritization when doing a speed test, is it updating rapidly? If so that could be the reason for the spikes and potentially the speed drop as well as it's not meant for high bandwidth traffic.

Also have to ask but I assume these tests are all done using an ethernet cable?

Hi, Well the whole thing ground to a halt and I needed two factory resets as the netduma became totally unresponsive and I kept losing the internet. I've attached a log file from when it finally gave up but I managed to download

Yes, everything is tested direct ethernet cat6. I also tried a HG612 modem - it made no difference other than worse upload speeds.

I think I might know what's happening and its a bit silly my end: I have been using chrome with adblock, my tablet is synced to google and that uses chrome with adblock and my sons pc has a different adblock as well. They have all been used to access the Netduma over the last few days. Initially, when it had a fresh update to DumaOS, at first it was great as time went on the more I tested and accessed it via chrome the more erratic it behaved.

I have now factory reset and only accessed via Firefox and it seems to be working again. I can't test properly because everyone is online after 2 hours offline.

log-1557510594666.txt

• Administrators

Okay so are the speeds fine using Firefox? We do suggest disabling adblock when accessing the interface as it can interrupt some processes. I'm not a developer but looks like the QoS crashed. After the reset what are the speeds like?

Actually, nothing has changed regarding speeds and spikes. The speeds are still low but the interface seems to work a bit faster with less loading circles through firefox.

35-37 down and 18 up with buffer bloat set at high priority or never and spikes around 50ms on ping plotter during test.

33d , 11u with buffer bloat set always - but fairly good plots, except for random spikes throughout the hours

The connection is easily capable of 67down and 18up through the R1, as proved brifiely when the QOS seemed to crashed and the speedtest posted 67 17. Also, I get a solid 67 18 always whenever I connect the old BT HH5.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You mentioned that you changed your PCs to consoles in Device Manager, is this still applied? If so then take a look at Traffic Prioritization when doing a speed test, is it updating rapidly? If so that could be the reason for the spikes and potentially the speed drop as well as it's not meant for high bandwidth traffic.

Yes, still applied. Do you mean the red dot and prioritised packet figures? If so, when doing a speed test the red light doesn't come on and the high priority packets don't change.

The last odd thing. I tried a speed test through my mac mini connected via wifi and got approx 50/18! But then the more times I ran the speed test the slower it got until it settled at the usual 35-7 down and 18 up. What's could explain that?

Also, here is a ping plot of when my sons started a game and the R1 picked up High Priority, so I took the opportunity to run a speed test during his game. It was clear the bufferbloat was activated as I got the same speeds as when setting to always.

The 160ms spikes are obviously pinged to my PC, so would my son not experience the same 160ms spike because his gaming packets are prioritised to his PC?

214837919_speedtestduringprioritytrafficdetected.thumb.JPG.a02a7eb4f1c7d5abd2457f3d2b10fcaf.JPG

this is further ping graph, without me doing a speed test and background household usage, but while my son continued to trigger 'high priority traffic detected':

1152116646_badping.thumb.JPG.1a66303b6493cc61d38537c8eca4e211.JPG

14 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Have you tried selecting an alternative server in speedtest options? Differing servers can give differing results.

Yes I also use dslreports and thinkbroadband, they all give more or less the same. I stick with speedtest for consistency.

• Administrators

I think PPPoE is likely the issue as someone else is experiencing this as well, DumaOS is more involved, I think when QoS may have crashed that it used up less system resources which allowed higher speeds, that's just my theory. Downgrade to the latest original R1 firmware and then see what speeds you get. Then upgrade to DumaOS with preserve settings unticked, disable QoS and retest.

ok, it was on H originally before going to DomaOS. I have downloaded J ready. Can I go straight from DumaOS to 1 03 6J. 

Also, can I do the downgrade & re-upgrade offline, with the router just connected to my PC (and nothing else, no modem or internet access) via ethernet and the file on my PC

I decided to just try it plugged it into the ISP BTHH5 to skip the PPPoE function. So I factory reset and let it connect to the BT HH5 ISP router (I also put it on DMZ for belts and braces, although it was working fine without this.

It seems to be working just fine, but needed a reboot to apply the downstream QOS %.

I get my original full speeds with QOS enabled. 68/18 - 68.5/18.5 (the same as if straight from the ISP router) and with <70ms lag spike with no Buffer Bloat

1681762636_isp-netduma-no-PPPoe-bandwidthset68-5down18-5up.thumb.JPG.307f8b4bd95a4584ead1a097fa8c7a62.JPG

When I set to 70% the Download Buffeblost didnt work but the upload one did. I tried updating distribution, adjusting but I just couldn't get the download to work. And kept getting messages in the system:

kern.warn kernel: [ 1425.380000] HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change. 

1775974713_downloadqosnotworking.thumb.JPG.ca87ee13aae6fe1b25523985929bd699.JPG

Then I rebooted and it worked:

working.thumb.JPG.18c8320782d58636c410ab7309b2d9a1.JPG

Then I tried adjusting the % sliders and got the quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change message accompanied by an iffy download result:

1312605098_quantumclasskickindowenload.thumb.JPG.8b6e6d6eb91086f94fc983f21f4a71f4.JPG

Then I waited, changed nothing and tried again and got perfect result:

697131415_2ndtrynothingchagedbutworks-quantumclassdidntkickin.thumb.JPG.5e4a369d520fe10146352053f7a8b607.JPG

And it all seems to be working Perfectly, here are the dslreports, (which before when it went  through PPPoE I always had some random 150-180ms spikes early on in the download***edit - I still get the spikes, BUT only when logged into DSLreports and using finer sample rates setting, i think this is bug with dsl reports****)

80471533_dslreports.thumb.JPG.5e22357ab015bed29d2829090fae00ba.JPG1137681390_dslreportsdetailed.thumb.JPG.91f3ac392cb7804956220b4040037769.JPG

So, I think, the problems, as mentioned by support, are all to do with the PPPoE. So, I'll use it through the ISP router and put my shiny new £85 modem on the shelf ready for another day or maybe an XR300 or XR500. I hope it continues to works once the network has more devices and comes under heavy load tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this same issue with PPPoE and VLAN tagging beeing handled by the R1

On the original 1.03.06j firmware I was topping out at 55 mbit download and on DumaOS I was topping out at 25-30mbit download. While beeing on a 200mbit fiber connection.

If you set the ISP router in bridge mode and let that handle the VLAN tag it probably fixes it, but you still need to add PPPoE info in the R1.

Went to a XR500 in the end since I was a bit dissatisfied with the total throughput on the R1, both wifi and on LAN. But come to think of it I never went back to bridgemode and using the R1, and discovered afterwards that one ethernet cable in between wasn't supporting 1GBps.

XR500 can properly handle those speeds in VLAN / PPPoE configuration but there is a bug that it will disable QoS upstream so my antibufferbloat settings etc didn't work. So that's when I had my ISP set the original router to bridge mode and connect to that.

I did find a improvement in ping times going straight from the ONT into the R1 and eliminating double NAT initially.