A working Geofilter

Can we actually get a geofilter that works consistently? Out of all the parts of DumaOS that dont work on the regular its the geofiltering part. I always think I have luck and then I dont. I dont feel like im the only one with the issue either. The rest of DumaOS seems good though, Qos is wonderful and feels much crisper than the old firmware. Its just that the geo from the old firmware was so much faster and less interrupting than the new one, its making it nearly impossible to even want to play cod due to all the inconsistency....

Also...I dont wanna hear the nonsense about how it should work, and honestly sometimes it will! However it is inconsistent enough that its not a viable feature of netduma like the original (this may just be on the R1). I have no idea what others experience on other versions of it. But this seriously needs a fix or revamping. Theres just no more set and forget it. Its more like set it and hope that it actually works like it used to kinda deal. Issues like this make me hold back from even wanting to upgrade to another Duma related device :(. QOS is awesome and all, but its the lower ping on those servers that call for it that really make this product shine to its fullest. At this point I may as well buy a $50 edgerouter x that has extremely high rated QOS even by people like battle nonsense, and its clear that guy knows whats up as his videos are very intricate. 

Just now, progprogprog said:

Hi bursley

Just double checking.

Do you have ping assist set to anything other than zero?

im not even on the firmware with ping assist. I took that out as to not be an issue lol.

7 minutes ago, progprogprog said:

Hi bursley

Just double checking.

Do you have ping assist set to anything other than zero?

See now I turned upnp off and restart the router and boot the game even with geo on and I get matches in the radius. Maybe UPNP is broken? I forwarded ports with upnp off (even though it still shows them as being active through upnp....

2 minutes ago, progprogprog said:

Very odd

Strict mode on?

yeah always. I always set radius and strict. Ive noticed DumaOS struggles with keeping ports open via upnp, and forwarding with upnp on does not help. using upnp alone and you get a moderate nat. Idk its a port issue or a geo issue or both perhaps. Im thinking port though, but i dont wanna have to port forward every single port that I need open for every single thing on the network...thats supposed to be what makes upnp so helpful....

How many devices are on the geo page?

Maybe it's filtering the wrong console?

nah just one console and I refreshed it as well, like deleted it and re-add that device. 

Like I said before the geo does cause mod nat

But if I reboot with the console deleted it goes open again

It does reopen if I reboot the router. But then it just doesnt stay open. Idk, I think they are taking the issues too lightly. I mean why would you care about a ancient product anyways when you got three to four devices from netgear to worry about...

bbursley, I would always recommend using port forwarding over upnp.. One problem ive discovered is upnp doesn't always capture the new ports for each new session/game.. Also if you can capture the ports on the server side of things for the particular game you play then I would also add those into your ports to open list.. Pretty much the games I play are all hosted from dedicated servers. And those ports are consistent and haven't changed.. I don't have an R1.. But do you have a port table or a connection list that shows what ports are being used while playing a game?

Zippy.

45 minutes ago, bbursley said:

yeah always. I always set radius and strict. Ive noticed DumaOS struggles with keeping ports open via upnp, and forwarding with upnp on does not help. 

It is not good to use upnp and port forwarding at the same time as that will cause issues whatever the router as it generates conflicts. I know your issue is with upnp and I get that issue occasionally so I agree it is a upnp issue.......open all the required ports in port forwarding with upnp disabled and you should have an open nat all the time.

https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-iiii/

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

bbursley, I would always recommend using port forwarding over upnp.. One problem ive discovered is upnp doesn't always capture the new ports for each new session/game.. Also if you can capture the ports on the server side of things for the particular game you play then I would also add those into your ports to open list.. Pretty much the games I play are all hosted from dedicated servers. And those ports are consistent and haven't changed.. I don't have an R1.. But do you have a port table or a connection list that shows what ports are being used while playing a game?

Zippy.

Yes but I NEVER had any issues with it on the old firmware, UPNP was sufficient for me, never got nat issues

1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

It is not good to use upnp and port forwarding at the same time as that will cause issues whatever the router as it generates conflicts. I know your issue is with upnp and I get that issue occasionally so I agree it is a upnp issue.......open all the required ports in port forwarding with upnp disabled and you should have an open nat all the time.

https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-iiii/

Yea I know I could port forward, but theres alot of other things i need ports open for such as using my cell phone as a remote for my smart tv etc. I dont know what ports it uses for that and if its not open it doesnt work, nor does my GFs voip calling through her work computer or skype messaging. I just feel like they could figure out how to resolve the issue and not make people use this route...or just add DMZ already? That would fix all port related issues, I personally have always loved dmz over the others. DDos isnt as much of an issues on dedis now. where as player hosts could easily see all IP adresses they hosted to. I mean im not saying its impossible, just less probable.

44 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Yes but I NEVER had any issues with it on the old firmware, UPNP was sufficient for me, never got nat issues

Yea I know I could port forward, but theres alot of other things i need ports open for such as using my cell phone as a remote for my smart tv etc. I dont know what ports it uses for that and if its not open it doesnt work, nor does my GFs voip calling through her work computer or skype messaging. I just feel like they could figure out how to resolve the issue and not make people use this route...or just add DMZ already? That would fix all port related issues, I personally have always loved dmz over the others. DDos isnt as much of an issues on dedis now. where as player hosts could easily see all IP adresses they hosted to. I mean im not saying its impossible, just less probable.

That's very true! I totally believe you when you say upnp once worked for you but doesn't now.. There likely was a change in the firewall of the router and upnp wasnt updated with the change. This is very common issue. Even with Netgear and other routers alike.. Don't you have a port table that tells you what ports a device is communicating on? 

Zippy.

Heres what I mean about a port table and connections table.. Doesn't the R1 have something similar to this?

1183252147_Screenshot(45).thumb.png.92a566b028e615b2f50c91d99f94ac1d.png

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Heres what I mean about a port table and connections table.. Doesn't the R1 have something similar to this?

1183252147_Screenshot(45).thumb.png.92a566b028e615b2f50c91d99f94ac1d.png

Nah I don’t think so. The Netduma wasn’t designed to really have any kind of advanced interfaces, unless of course you’re a part of the Netduma team then I’m sure you can get access to just about any part. Kinda bull crap in my opinion since we paid to own these things yet they are locked away like a childproof router. I mean I get why, some idiots on this forum would brick their router for trying to do something outside the normal realm of use. That or it isn’t programmed into it. I’m sure it’s locked behind something that doesn’t let you change features or anything because even under the R-apps you can’t pause those either. Still shows A7-legits name which again is another reason I don’t fully trust moderators. There is to much risk of a bias and if you can’t tell like the post above me, it’s a pretty Netduma bias response. Not you zippy...but just moderators inngeneral. Like no I don’t NEED port forwarding. There’s simply no excuse for one software working flawless and the other one isn’t. I wasn the one who had to jump all over Netgear and abandon my original device to begin with, that’s what they did. It was such a big F you to all of us R1 owners except the suck ups who managed to become moderators and test everything and who knows maybe paid compensation. Now that maybe be speculation on the last part, but I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I’m satisfied with a product that’s supposed to be superior to its past firmware and has more issues than it. They were passionate about the R1 initially and that effort. Stands to be pretty obvious. Until it got abandoned and all these features go tossed aside and we got deprioritized. It’s not the way I “feel” it’s literally what happened.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, bbursley said:

I mean....seriously though...

image.png

Just to confirm, the issue you have here is that Texas server being allowed right?

The fact is has a white ring around it, either means strict mode is not on or because it has been tagged as an authentication server. Did the game end up being played on it? The screenshot is taken before the game started so we can't tell. If you can get the server ID of that allowed server we can check it out and see if we've tagged it incorrectly (this hasn't happened in any game yet but there's always a first time).

Also please let us know the game you were playing here.

(I've moved this to Support)

2 hours ago, bbursley said:

Nah I don’t think so. The Netduma wasn’t designed to really have any kind of advanced interfaces, unless of course you’re a part of the Netduma team then I’m sure you can get access to just about any part. Kinda bull crap in my opinion since we paid to own these things yet they are locked away like a childproof router. I mean I get why, some idiots on this forum would brick their router for trying to do something outside the normal realm of use. That or it isn’t programmed into it. I’m sure it’s locked behind something that doesn’t let you change features or anything because even under the R-apps you can’t pause those either. Still shows A7-legits name which again is another reason I don’t fully trust moderators. There is to much risk of a bias and if you can’t tell like the post above me, it’s a pretty Netduma bias response. Not you zippy...but just moderators inngeneral. Like no I don’t NEED port forwarding. There’s simply no excuse for one software working flawless and the other one isn’t. I wasn the one who had to jump all over Netgear and abandon my original device to begin with, that’s what they did. It was such a big F you to all of us R1 owners except the suck ups who managed to become moderators and test everything and who knows maybe paid compensation. Now that maybe be speculation on the last part, but I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I’m satisfied with a product that’s supposed to be superior to its past firmware and has more issues than it. They were passionate about the R1 initially and that effort. Stands to be pretty obvious. Until it got abandoned and all these features go tossed aside and we got deprioritized. It’s not the way I “feel” it’s literally what happened.

I understand your frustration bbursley.. I thought the R1 had something similar to what I posted..  Maybe Netduma can help you out with the geofilter issue.. As far as upnp that might need addressing with the next new milestone. It did work at one time for me but also became unreliable.. But I also had the XR500. Which currently I no longer use because of its own fair share of issues.. Which hopefully will be addressed in the next milestone..  But until then I had to just abandon it for the moment.. Once the new milestone is out then I will at least know where I stand with this XR500..  I just had to move on to something that worked for me.. My game play and dealing with issues nonstop with the XR just became to much..

The screen shot I posted is from my ASUS.. Its one of the most useful tools ive seen. It comes in handy to help trouble shoot and really works awesome so one can prioritize certain ports.. Because it gives you all the ports a specific game is using and communicating on in real time on your side and the game server side.. Which is key!

Again I understand your frustration and see you post here frequently.. I hope both of us will have better luck with the next new milestone..

Zippy..

30 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I understand your frustration bbursley.. I thought the R1 had something similar to what I posted..  Maybe Netduma can help you out with the geofilter issue.. As far as upnp that might need addressing with the next new milestone. It did work at one time for me but also became unreliable.. But I also had the XR500. Which currently I no longer use because of its own fair share of issues.. Which hopefully will be addressed in the next milestone..  But until then I had to just abandon it for the moment.. Once the new milestone is out then I will at least know where I stand with this XR500..  I just had to move on to something that worked for me.. My game play and dealing with issues nonstop with the XR just became to much..

The screen shot I posted is from my ASUS.. Its one of the most useful tools ive seen. It comes in handy to help trouble shoot and really works awesome so one can prioritize certain ports.. Because it gives you all the ports a specific game is using and communicating on in real time on your side and the game server side.. Which is key!

Again I understand your frustration and see you post here frequently.. I hope both of us will have better luck with the next new milestone..

Zippy..

Well that is pretty neat. I have an older Asus as well and I recognized that interface. I have tried to resolve the issues with geofilter with them, and the mods. But the main issue is Both the mods and netduma team are not going to accept they are broken. Mods are on this forum to put out the fires, thats all they do. They could be extremely biased and youll never know the truth. The only person I trust is myself and my own anecdotal reports, especially when I have screenshots to back them up, and other people reporting the same issues I have as well. Theres only few facts, an those are that DumaOS was a rushed product for the R1 and by the sounds of it for the others as well, though theres less of an excuse for a team who already had experience working with the R1 version since that was their original hardware, but yet its still broken. I would rather have a team accept that something just isnt right than to tell me its fine and im the only one having the issues. All I can think of when I hear that and see all these other posts is that its pure BS. Anyone in customer service would do the same thing to you, got a bad internet connection and you call and complain? oh its gotta be your fault. Got a issue with cell phone or tv service or anything else you can imagine? Always the end users fault. Does it matter how many screen shots you post? Never. I am all for the teams vision on what they want to accomplish and I fully stand behind that, who wouldnt want those features they advertise even if it was only a tool to our advantage and somtimes turning geofilter off had to happen. Im legit tired of spending hours into something trying to figure out what went wrong in this firmware when im using the same settings as the old firmware. I never had issues with that one except the QOS just wasnt built for higher speeds, it always caused more issues than what seemed good. Other than that I can set my radius, strict on and no matter what I can reboot the router, the console multiple times and those settings typically stick and my NAT never goes moderate, even when booting games with GEO on. Never puts me on a player host with geofilter either. DumaOS on the other hand....takes forever finding a match, when it does its usually outside the radius on a dedicated server I dont want, or its just a player host I dont want either. 

But here I was thinking I wanted to go blow a few hundred on a higher tier router with DumaOS on it, and I cant find any reason why it would even make sense to. Why waste 3-500 or so on a router thats just gonna do the same thing? As I said before, its insulting that they ever ditched the R1 crew for Netgear as it is. Also ive said I can understand where continual revenue is needed, but theres issues that need to be addressed and they have not been. I just want a router that does what its advertised to do.

4 hours ago, bbursley said:

Well that is pretty neat. I have an older Asus as well and I recognized that interface. I have tried to resolve the issues with geofilter with them, and the mods. But the main issue is Both the mods and netduma team are not going to accept they are broken. Mods are on this forum to put out the fires, thats all they do. They could be extremely biased and youll never know the truth. The only person I trust is myself and my own anecdotal reports, especially when I have screenshots to back them up, and other people reporting the same issues I have as well. Theres only few facts, an those are that DumaOS was a rushed product for the R1 and by the sounds of it for the others as well, though theres less of an excuse for a team who already had experience working with the R1 version since that was their original hardware, but yet its still broken. I would rather have a team accept that something just isnt right than to tell me its fine and im the only one having the issues. All I can think of when I hear that and see all these other posts is that its pure BS. Anyone in customer service would do the same thing to you, got a bad internet connection and you call and complain? oh its gotta be your fault. Got a issue with cell phone or tv service or anything else you can imagine? Always the end users fault. Does it matter how many screen shots you post? Never. I am all for the teams vision on what they want to accomplish and I fully stand behind that, who wouldnt want those features they advertise even if it was only a tool to our advantage and somtimes turning geofilter off had to happen. Im legit tired of spending hours into something trying to figure out what went wrong in this firmware when im using the same settings as the old firmware. I never had issues with that one except the QOS just wasnt built for higher speeds, it always caused more issues than what seemed good. Other than that I can set my radius, strict on and no matter what I can reboot the router, the console multiple times and those settings typically stick and my NAT never goes moderate, even when booting games with GEO on. Never puts me on a player host with geofilter either. DumaOS on the other hand....takes forever finding a match, when it does its usually outside the radius on a dedicated server I dont want, or its just a player host I dont want either. 

But here I was thinking I wanted to go blow a few hundred on a higher tier router with DumaOS on it, and I cant find any reason why it would even make sense to. Why waste 3-500 or so on a router thats just gonna do the same thing? As I said before, its insulting that they ever ditched the R1 crew for Netgear as it is. Also ive said I can understand where continual revenue is needed, but theres issues that need to be addressed and they have not been. I just want a router that does what its advertised to do.

Hey bbursley, I can understand your pain.. I think right now the best thing we can do at this point is to wait until the next new milestone comes out.. At this stage of the game im not sure where things have gone wrong. I can only say this though.. Many avid followers of DumaOS have moved on to other options because of issues that have surfaced.. Im not saying you should do the same.. Im just saying to see what the next milestone brings. Then you should have a good idea of where things stand and what move to make.. My experience has only been with the XR500 so I cant give any real insight onto the R1.. I just want to be honest with you on my experience has been only with the XR500.. There are likely issues both share though because we are using the same DumaOS.. So it would be expected to see similar issues.. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I would still hold back from purchasing any of the XR family routers atm.. I think it would be just a smart move at this time to wait and see how the next new milestone does with these XR family routers and see if it has addressed the many issues that people have reported.. Then move forward and make your purchase based off of that..  One thing I do like about the R1 verses any of the XR family routers is that the R1 operates only with DumaOS.. There is no Netgear/DumaOS working together.. Which I feel is much easier to manage then having any of the XR family routers with Netgear operating somethings and DumaOS operating some things.. And then having both operating together in harmony..  Hope what im saying makes sense.. And again I hope the best of luck moving forward using DumaOS.. They have some good ideas.. They just haven't fully come together yet.. Good luck!

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Hey bbursley, I can understand your pain.. I think right now the best thing we can do at this point is to wait until the next new milestone comes out.. At this stage of the game im not sure where things have gone wrong. I can only say this though.. Many avid followers of DumaOS have moved on to other options because of issues that have surfaced.. Im not saying you should do the same.. Im just saying to see what the next milestone brings. Then you should have a good idea of where things stand and what move to make.. My experience has only been with the XR500 so I cant give any real insight onto the R1.. I just want to be honest with you on my experience has been only with the XR500.. There are likely issues both share though because we are using the same DumaOS.. So it would be expected to see similar issues.. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket I would still hold back from purchasing any of the XR family routers atm.. I think it would be just a smart move at this time to wait and see how the next new milestone does with these XR family routers and see if it has addressed the many issues that people have reported.. Then move forward and make your purchase based off of that..  One thing I do like about the R1 verses any of the XR family routers is that the R1 operates only with DumaOS.. There is no Netgear/DumaOS working together.. Which I feel is much easier to manage then having any of the XR family routers with Netgear operating somethings and DumaOS operating some things.. And then having both operating together in harmony..  Hope what im saying makes sense.. And again I hope the best of luck moving forward using DumaOS.. They have some good ideas.. They just haven't fully come together yet.. Good luck!

Zippy.

Oh I know, I just filed today and got them approved so it will be a bit. I was considering getting the XR500 though so its kinda a bummer that it doesnt work well for you. I am hoping that the next milestone does improve and I will not buy anything until proven otherwise. Im not saying I have lost ALL hope in the team. But I would not go out and buy a new router even if i had the money at this point until I see some serious overhaul on these problems. Yes there are other solutions and honestly I have considered them as well. I will just build my own version of a router like you can with PFsense or something. Again the Edgerouter x and above have extremely positive reviews. Is there a Geofilter, no. But I will definitely consider my options. Right now im far to busy to worry about any of that. Dont get me wrong, I love the team, but i feel like this is a bad relationship at this point where im screaming out the problems and seeing no results lol. I definitely would love to see what it would be like with the XR500 working solid though. I can only imagine its fantastic. I feel like the R1 only performs well on lower tier connections and it does do well. I would have QUIT black ops 3 if I never had one. I remember waiting like idk 2 weeks for it to arrive and when it did it was like the gift ever lol. Sure games were not always perfect but my connection wasnt either. It absolutely made a difference though, I could have skype going and not even get lag on that or my game or anything, at one point I almost managed to get a stream going, but my upload was just too low. Just waiting patiently. I personally loved my experience with the R1 firmware and I would love to relive that through the next versions of routers, (and get off that crappy 2.4ghz...). 

4 hours ago, bbursley said:

Oh I know, I just filed today and got them approved so it will be a bit. I was considering getting the XR500 though so its kinda a bummer that it doesnt work well for you. I am hoping that the next milestone does improve and I will not buy anything until proven otherwise. Im not saying I have lost ALL hope in the team. But I would not go out and buy a new router even if i had the money at this point until I see some serious overhaul on these problems. Yes there are other solutions and honestly I have considered them as well. I will just build my own version of a router like you can with PFsense or something. Again the Edgerouter x and above have extremely positive reviews. Is there a Geofilter, no. But I will definitely consider my options. Right now im far to busy to worry about any of that. Dont get me wrong, I love the team, but i feel like this is a bad relationship at this point where im screaming out the problems and seeing no results lol. I definitely would love to see what it would be like with the XR500 working solid though. I can only imagine its fantastic. I feel like the R1 only performs well on lower tier connections and it does do well. I would have QUIT black ops 3 if I never had one. I remember waiting like idk 2 weeks for it to arrive and when it did it was like the gift ever lol. Sure games were not always perfect but my connection wasnt either. It absolutely made a difference though, I could have skype going and not even get lag on that or my game or anything, at one point I almost managed to get a stream going, but my upload was just too low. Just waiting patiently. I personally loved my experience with the R1 firmware and I would love to relive that through the next versions of routers, (and get off that crappy 2.4ghz...). 

Im with yah! Always keep the faith! There were many times I felt I wasn't being heard.. Like standing on a little soap box in a big crowd! lol.. Some times we just need to step back and just wait.. I think the XR500 would make a good option for you once things get sorted for it.. Something tells me that this next milestone should make very positive head way.. I think there is a reason why this next firmware is taking longer... Theres issues that they are totally stomping out!  I just hope im not wishing for a miracle!  :) Keep in touch and lets see what responses others get from this next new milestone! 

Zippy.