nighthawk XR500 AP mode

14 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

hi and welcome to the forum.

yes, all functions apart from wifi and lan ports are disabled as that is what an AP does.

Thanks bro

Ohh , then xr500 must be the main router

Is there a way that i can use it as router mode and make it secondary or as bridge or any other way

I have my XR500 as the main router, I have all wifi on it disabled. I thien have a managed switch with another router in AP mode for the wifi which I have the switch throttle down to 30mbps as i dont give a monkies about others in my house so long as they get acces  :D This way I minimise the load my main router has to do. It works for me :D

I did same thing! Just now read your post. Lol works great now except the nat problems, upnp, just all of Netgear 's code is terrible. They need to update  a ton of code. And maybe a gui overhaul while they're at it. On Dumas side, the network doesn't show the correct devices  online, it says they're offline. The qos needs more options to control each device individually. Like controls speeds of bandwidth and a tier system. Like a max, high, medium, low sorta thing. And forget all the fancy stuff in the gui. Just takes up more resources. Ever here KISS?  Keep It Simple Stupid?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Sunaikinti said:

I did same thing! Just now read your post. Lol works great now except the nat problems, upnp, just all of Netgear 's code is terrible. They need to update  a ton of code. And maybe a gui overhaul while they're at it. On Dumas side, the network doesn't show the correct devices  online, it says they're offline. The qos needs more options to control each device individually. Like controls speeds of bandwidth and a tier system. Like a max, high, medium, low sorta thing. And forget all the fancy stuff in the gui. Just takes up more resources. Ever here KISS?  Keep It Simple Stupid?

Which firmware are you on? You can literally dictate bandwidth to each device, that's really simple, what would be the benefit of adding a different way to do this? We did keep usability in mind when designing the interface, what don't you like about it specifically?

Tried the latest and referred back and forth. Problem is when you turn off excess share, it does it for everyone, even devices that are not connected. I want to have the ability to limit some devices and not others. Or maybe some get more others. What ever I want. Upload and down!oad. Per ip or mac or port. Then I to determine who's first in line. That's the tiers.  And when you have 30+ devices showing, can't even see them at all. A lot say unknown. The list is useless, because who's online and isn't? So then i can't see who's really online and what ip they are using. I come here 3-4 times a day hoping waiting for the magic new firmware to appear. I had so many netgear product's and the always end up with third party firmware. Geo filter is brillant, just hoping the rest could be as good.

• Administrators

Thanks for your feedback, I don't think we'll be changing bandwidth allocation any time soon but more control is something we want to give to users in the future. Does the table view on the device manager help you more?

6 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

Tried the latest and referred back and forth. Problem is when you turn off excess share, it does it for everyone, even devices that are not connected. I want to have the ability to limit some devices and not others. Or maybe some get more others. What ever I want. Upload and down!oad. Per ip or mac or port. Then I to determine who's first in line. That's the tiers.  And when you have 30+ devices showing, can't even see them at all. A lot say unknown. The list is useless, because who's online and isn't? So then i can't see who's really online and what ip they are using. I come here 3-4 times a day hoping waiting for the magic new firmware to appear. I had so many netgear product's and the always end up with third party firmware. Geo filter is brillant, just hoping the rest could be as good.

I use port assignment with the S8000 switch and throttle the bandwidth on the port for my AP and all the other devices that are connected are prioritized as low priority. The only device apart from my switch connected to my router is my consoles. That is one option available to you if you want port control.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

Thanks for the feedback. We're working on a bunch of improvements for our next development milestone, some of which will directly address some of the problems you've experienced here.

Anything left after that should be picked up in a future development milestone too! 

• 1 year later...

👍

On 4/3/2019 at 2:13 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it should be the main router. You can put it in the DMZ of an upstream router. I would highly advise having all devices connected to the router otherwise QoS will not perform correctly.