Qos is not working for me on the downloading side. how do I fix this?

My qos doesn't seem to work at all on the downloading side of things.   I thought it was working on my other post about this problem, but I realized qos is not working and I don't know what to do about it.   Watching twitch  creates huge lag spikes and what I did was I used ping plotter, turned bufferbloat on and off and my lag spikes were the same.  I played around with the qos sliders at one point I went down to 10%  download and nothing changed.  Would be nice to know what the problem is cause I like to watch twitch on my second monitor while  playing games, or someone else in my house hold starts to watch twitch and it cause my game to lag a lot. 

• Administrators

Hi there - could you follow this optimal settings guide to make sure you have not made any errors with your setup:

If issues continue after that, could you do this:

1. Take a screenshot of your QoS page and share the image of it on here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos
  2. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% and Always mode, then run a Speedtest on speedtest.net - does your download speed match the setting you have given it on Anti-Bufferbloat?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there - could you follow this optimal settings guide to make sure you have not made any errors with your setup:

If issues continue after that, could you do this:

1. Take a screenshot of your QoS page and share the image of it on here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos
  2. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% and Always mode, then run a Speedtest on speedtest.net - does your download speed match the setting you have given it on Anti-Bufferbloat?

Thanks.

yes my settings are the optimal settings. I was just wondering, I have a docsis 3.1 modem and It probably has built in qos, but there is no settings on the modem  to turn the qos off, could this interfere with the netduma's qos? 

10 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

yes my settings are the optimal settings. I was just wondering, I have a docsis 3.1 modem and It probably has built in qos, but there is no settings on the modem  to turn the qos off, could this interfere with the netduma's qos? 

You are not alone with the Qos issues. When it works, it works better than anything out there from all the firmwares ive ever used (dd-wrt, Tomato, Openwrt, Asuswrt) which are all basically built off one another as is the Netduma OS. Ive been told that you truthfully cant "control" the download side of things, this is because that is on the ISP's end. Sure you can tell a router that its gonna hold off on so and so packets and let the others go through, which would probably use up some resources and so on, but if it takes less time for a packet to reach a youtube server and come back than it does a cod server and come back, well then guess which packet hits the router first on the download side? yup you guessed it, NOT the COD packets. This is why good hardware and throughput are essential. Its also probably why the old R1 struggles more with the updated OS since its much more powerful in what it can do. Anyways, its not likely that a cable modem has Qos built into it, unless it is a cable/modem router. That isnt to say it CANT have qos, since in a sense all a cable "modem" actually is, is a router that changes the form of communication between your lan and the outside WAN. Is there a way you can connect directly to the modem to find this out? If you can figure out your modems IP address then you can type that into your browser, ive done that before. Do you allocate bandwidth to your console? Have the setting for prioritizing games on?

23 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

fpsabe it is possible it could mess with Netduma QOS.. DOCSIS 3.1 uses AQM, PIE, and other forms of QOS within your ISP Network.. What brand of modem do you have?

Zippy.

Just now, Zippy said:

fpsabe it is possible it could mess with Netduma QOS.. DOCSIS 3.1 uses AQM, PIE, and other forms of QOS within your ISP Network.. What brand of modem do you have?

Zippy.

hitron coda-4582

22 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

hitron coda-4582

Im not personally familiar with that particular brand. But my guess its a gateway/router modem combo unit.. If it is make sure you don't have any QoS on in the router end of it.. Double check that first and if there is either disable it and let your Netgear take care of it.. See what you come up with then.. Also follow what bbursley said and double check things.. I personally have never been a fan of combo units because of exactly what you have going on. And its likely one you either have to have or your ISP allows.. Which doesn't give you a lot of flexibility.. Let us know how things go.. And good luck! Sorry I couldn't be of any further help..

Zippy.

20 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Im not personally familiar with that particular brand. But my guess its a gateway/router modem combo unit.. If it is make sure you don't have any QoS on in the router end of it.. Double check that first and if there is either disable it and let your Netgear take care of it.. See what you come up with then.. Also follow what bbursley said and double check things.. I personally have never been a fan of combo units because of exactly what you have going on. And its likely one you either have to have or your ISP allows.. Which doesn't give you a lot of flexibility.. Let us know how things go.. And good luck! Sorry I couldn't be of any further help..

Zippy.

yea just talked to my isp, the modem I have is a router and modem combo,  they said I have to bridge the modem for it to work with the router, But the bridging on the modem actually doesn't disable the routing feature.  all it does is disables the wifi, firewall etc.  So I have a problem and I don't know what to do or which I would prefer.  My current modem has a stable ping cause it's docsis 3.1, but doesn't work with the router very well. Or go back to a puma 6 modem that I can actually bridge.  that's the only options I have at my isp lol. :( 

2 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

yea just talked to my isp, the modem I have is a router and modem combo,  they said I have to bridge the modem for it to work with the router, But the bridging on the modem actually doesn't disable the routing feature.  all it does is disables the wifi, firewall etc.  So I have a problem and I don't know what to do or which I would prefer.  My current modem has a stable ping cause it's docsis 3.1, but doesn't work with the router very well. Or go back to a puma 6 modem that I can actually bridge.  that's the only options I have at my isp lol. :( 

Or, you could supply your own modem. However, docsis 3.1 capable modems tend to be relatively pricey. I thought about getting my own because I have one from my cable provider as well. In fact mine even has phone jacks to convert a house phone into VOIP and then back again. Im thinking my modem does to many functions and I want to swap it out. Is there no way you can ask your ISP for a unit that isnt a combo? most ISPs will offer both, but more lilely than not they will always supply you with one you dont want if you dont let them know your purpose. I guess I cant say that was my case since I did say I wanted only a modem and what they gave me was a unit that does VOIP too, I didnt want that garbage. The more extra things you add, the more things that can go wrong. Im not okay with that. You should have routing options turning off if you bridge though, thats kind of the point of it. Instead of being a modem/router it should just be a modem. But those are still buggy since they are designed to work together. 

18 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Or, you could supply your own modem. However, docsis 3.1 capable modems tend to be relatively pricey. I thought about getting my own because I have one from my cable provider as well. In fact mine even has phone jacks to convert a house phone into VOIP and then back again. Im thinking my modem does to many functions and I want to swap it out. Is there no way you can ask your ISP for a unit that isnt a combo? most ISPs will offer both, but more lilely than not they will always supply you with one you dont want if you dont let them know your purpose. I guess I cant say that was my case since I did say I wanted only a modem and what they gave me was a unit that does VOIP too, I didnt want that garbage. The more extra things you add, the more things that can go wrong. Im not okay with that. You should have routing options turning off if you bridge though, thats kind of the point of it. Instead of being a modem/router it should just be a modem. But those are still buggy since they are designed to work together. 

my isp is weird and not very up to date how gamers like their equipment, and buying their own equipment and stuff like that.   I am actually stuck with this modem that I have now  and my isp doesn't allow people buying their own modem.  My current modem apparently has bridge mode, but it doesn't work so I have a tech coming over tomorrow to replace the modem.

54 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

my isp is weird and not very up to date how gamers like their equipment, and buying their own equipment and stuff like that.   I am actually stuck with this modem that I have now  and my isp doesn't allow people buying their own modem.  My current modem apparently has bridge mode, but it doesn't work so I have a tech coming over tomorrow to replace the modem.

That is unfortunate that your ISP doesn't allow you to even buy your own modem..  Who is your ISP?  

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

That is unfortunate that your ISP doesn't allow you to even buy your own modem..  Who is your ISP?  

I live in canada and for some reason a lot of isp here don't allow you to buy your own modem and all them have puma 6 chips. lmao very unfortunate. finally 3.1 docsis starting to be the norm here so hopefully better modems come a long the way.  and I don't want to say my isp, it's a canada only isp and you probably won't know it. 

32 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

I live in canada and for some reason a lot of isp here don't allow you to buy your own modem and all them have puma 6 chips. lmao very unfortunate. finally 3.1 docsis starting to be the norm here so hopefully better modems come a long the way.  and I don't want to say my isp, it's a canada only isp and you probably won't know it. 

No worries I totally understand.. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that your ISP will get this sorted out for you tomorrow..  DOCSIS 3.1 is the new best thing.. And I do hope you wont have to use anything puma 6 chip related either lol.. That would be a nightmare!! ha ha.. Good luck! Let us know how things go for you.

btw when the tech comes out tomorrow see what modems they currently have.. See if you have any options there that might help you.. 

Zippy.

5 minutes ago, Zippy said:

No worries I totally understand.. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that your ISP will get this sorted out for you tomorrow..  DOCSIS 3.1 is the new best thing.. And I do hope you wont have to use anything puma 6 chip related either lol.. That would be a nightmare!! ha ha.. Good luck! Let us know how things go for you.

Zippy.

Thanks.  even if my problem doesn't get solved, I'm still very happy with the docsis 3.1. I just got to remember not to watch twitch when gaming.  before I had a puma 6 modem and well... that was a terrible gaming experience on call of duty like out of no where your bullets stop hitting probably from the 100ms+ lag spikes puma 6 modems does. I will update tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, bbursley said:

i just switched to an Asus router using DDWRT Qos, priority to xbox ports and this is the result....Gameplay is like butter

DDWRT.JPG

yea I get the exact same results.

3 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

nighthawk xr500

damn, the R1 definitely does not do that for me....I gotta work out the bugs I have or something because they say those ratings dont matter, but anytime the netduma DID give me that. It was butter honestly

That's the strange thing.. When I use dslreports and get those results that reflects good gameplay.. But with my XR500 I cant get those results.. Which is strange.. But when I use my ASUS router my gameplay is outstanding! And I can get A+ across the board.. This is so very strange. lol.

• Netduma Staff

The results of DSL reports do matter, but we don't recommend relying on them due to the DPI system of DumaOS. Due to a quirk of our DPI, DSL reports will never score an A+ by default when QoS is enabled. This isn't actually a true reflection of what is happening, which is why we always recommend Pingplotter to thoroughly test your connection quality, accurately.

The results of DSL reports and the results of Pingplotter effectively show the same data, just in a different way. If you run a Pingplotter test and find your line to be entirely stable, with no bufferbloat happening, then it's likely that the DumaOS router is doing its job effectively. The inaccurate DSL test results won't be the cause of your gameplay being off, if Pingplotter is telling you a different story.

I hope this helps :D

16 hours ago, Zippy said:

btw when the tech comes out tomorrow see what modems they currently have.. See if you have any options there that might help you.. 

Zippy.

tech replaced  my modem and it is still doing the weird glitch about bridging, so I got my isp trying to figure out what the problem is.

49 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us updated with what they find!

yup I'm screwed lmao. they said my modem can't be put in bridge mode and pretty sure the modem needs to be put in bridge mode for my router to do the qos feature cause none of my routers I have qos doesn't work.  soo, they are sending me a arris modem that has a puma 6 chip in it that has a bridge mode on it, and see if I like that better. cause at the moment, the nighthawk xr500 is a expensive ethernet switch....  And I did have this modem before and hit detection and ping times on games were fine, none of the lag spikes seemed to show up. so if the puma 6 modem seems to works really good with my nighthawk xr500 router I will keep that, if I start feeling those lag spikes, I will have to keep the docsis 3.1 modem and suffer from congestion lol. anyways not trying to advertise or anything but I do have youtube channel and I've been looking at old videos where I had the puma 6 chip modem with my r1 router and hit detection looked on point to me so I guess we will see.  This is a video I was looking at to compare hit detection back when I had the puma 6 chip modem.