x500 hybrid vpn slow speed

• Administrators

Hi - no this is most likely the expected speed. VPNs are always slow, especially through a router. That’s why’s Hybrid VPN is great - you can choose the exact ports/applications you want under the VPN so the rest of your network is not compromised. 

On 12/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Hi - no this is most likely the expected speed. VPNs are always slow, especially through a router. That’s why’s Hybrid VPN is great - you can choose the exact ports/applications you want under the VPN so the rest of your network is not compromised. 

Actually something strange is going on.

My real speed is 150 down (Usually get between 160-170), and 10 up. Now when I use the VPN with the NordVPN client itself from my PC I get just about the same speed 120-150, but when I use the advance config hybrid-VPN to connect my nordVPN I barely get 20 down.

At this point it’s not the VPN service or the PC as I can get fast speeds with the actual client.

Is there a way to allocate more power to the VPN module itself in the router to get more speed?

• Administrators

No theres no way to do that. As Admin said it's just slower on the router. A suggestion perhaps though I haven't tried, you could disable QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloats settings. Also on VPNHybrid have it connect via TCP instead of UDP.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No theres no way to do that. As Admin said it's just slower on the router. A suggestion perhaps though I haven't tried, you could disable QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloats settings. Also on VPNHybrid have it connect via TCP instead of UDP.

Sadly it didn’t work. Would be cool to have a feature in the OS that could detect between browsing and downloading, because sure 20down is NOT bad for browsing BUT when it comes to downloads that are a little big or for gamers usually like 5gb+ downloads it is bothersome, and would be so cool if those downloads don’t go through the VPN

• 1 year later...

Hi Fraser, 

• Im experiencing the same problem, im using vpn because i have packet loss that create lags in my ps4 game online, but with vpn in router the speed is so slow so its not what i wanted, how can we do to have the real speed but the routing of vpn to avoid packet loss ? 
    Thank you 

• Administrators
On 2/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, vinskapen said:

Hi Fraser, 

• Im experiencing the same problem, im using vpn because i have packet loss that create lags in my ps4 game online, but with vpn in router the speed is so slow so its not what i wanted, how can we do to have the real speed but the routing of vpn to avoid packet loss ? 
    Thank you 

Just by the very nature of using a VPN you are introducing increased latency, the only way around this is to select the closest possible server to you so that the hops increase is minimal. What are you applying the VPN to specifically, a console? Gaming doesn't require much bandwidth so you will have plenty for this. You can't specify a specific application/service on the console through the VPN.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, leo_estevez3 said:

Is there any update to this issue? Regular internet 300 download, client vpn 100 download, hybrid vpn 6 download

We're working on a way to improve speeds through a VPN, though unfortunately I don't have an ETA as to when we'll be able to release it.

I just tried on my Express VPN account. 600 mbit download speed.

I am able to get full bandwith with the PC client, 500+ mbit. When I use hybrid VPN on XR500 I am able to achieve 20-25mbit. During the speed test I reach 100% CPU load.

I will try and see on XR700 tonight with more CPU power.

There is also the issue that there is multiple VPN protocols available. OpenVPN - UDP is one of the slower ones. When I use OpenVPN on my PC I max out around 200 mbit.

Detail here is that HybridVPN doesn't seem to work on my PC. When I VPN it, the computer doesn't run through a VPN at all. This is DumaOS beta .120 I did manage to test Hybrid VPN through my phone though that's where I got the 20-25 mbit.

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

I just tried on my Express VPN account. 600 mbit download speed.

I am able to get full bandwith with the PC client, 500+ mbit. When I use hybrid VPN on XR500 I am able to achieve 20-25mbit. During the speed test I reach 100% CPU load.

I will try and see on XR700 tonight with more CPU power.

There is also the issue that there is multiple VPN protocols available. OpenVPN - UDP is one of the slower ones. When I use OpenVPN on my PC I max out around 200 mbit.

Detail here is that HybridVPN doesn't seem to work on my PC. When I VPN it, the computer doesn't run through a VPN at all. This is DumaOS beta .120 I did manage to test Hybrid VPN through my phone though that's where I got the 20-25 mbit.

I suspect you'll find that speeds are improved on the XR700 as it has a quad-core CPU.

We're aware that the OVPN standard isn't the quickest, this is something else we're working on improving in Hybrid VPN!

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Bert said:

I get about 60 mbit/s on XR700 against the same server so this 20-25mbit on the XR500 is definitly a CPU limit.

Sounds about right, thanks for the update. As previously mentioned we are working to get this higher through other methods

I found an issue with the XR700 though.

If you run a VPN client on a PC then the transfer speed is limited to about 230 mbit. It shows just 1 CPU core maxing at 100%, so most likely traffic is only processed by 1 core.

This persists in both v1.0.1.38 firmware and v1.0.1.34 DumsOS beta firmware.

On the XR500 I could comfortably do 500+ Mbit/s since both cores were utilized as long as the client was run from PC.

There is some weirdness with it though.

I tried on v1.0.1.34 DumaoS3.0 and had 1 core processing traffic 220-230 mbit

I tried on v1.0.1.38 and same

Reflashed v1.0.1.34 and now 2 cores is working processing VPN traffic, 270 mbit, 1 100% and 3 80%. Then I tried wifi and cores 3 and 4 were processing traffic. 

I wonder if it was accidental, ie the VPN service just wan't up to the task at that time.