How to further improve ping?

Silencedrage

Now that I have the Netduma and I'm taking the #1 cause of lag out of the equation what else can I do to improve ping?  I've done a little research and here are some things I may try:

1. DNS change in router.  Many recommend using Namebench to find the best DNS servers for your location.

2. Would getting a CAT6 cable to go from console to router improve connection reliability?

3. Will port forwarding help if I've had to put the netduma in the DMZ of my ISP modem/router already?

Thanks

1. Dns servers does not improve your in game ping much if not at all

2. I am not sure on this one as i always use cat 6

3. Just tick UPNP in your duma router and the magic of port fowarding will be done automaticaly by r1 router

port forward is the same as using upnp its just gonna open the ports up so your nat type will be open which means you will connect to more players

dns doesnt matter 

i use a cat 6 cable to my console and all my cables connected to my nighthawk and netduma are cat 6

I can state authoritatively that DNS has zero impact on ping.  Your ability to receive a response from a nameserver via UDP does not affect in the slightest the round-trip transit time for a series of ICMP packets.  Both are affected by network topology, throughput, congestion, and routing, but neither affect one another.  In fact, due to QoS between source and destination, ping doesn't even necessarily reflect actual RTT for "real" traffic.

CAT6 is an improvement over CAT5 and CAT5e, though if you're in a high-EMI environment, you may still need additional shielding.

Hey Silenced welcome to the forum. +1 on what everyone has said. Are you using congestion control and Geo-filter as well? 

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes I am using Geo-filter with about a 500 mi radius and 40ms ping.  Most games so far are a great improvement from what I experienced before.  However lately it seems like the only people still playing CoD are people located near the servers still putting me at a slight disadvantage :( .  I do not use CC as I don't have many devices using my bandwidth.

• Administrators

You can move your home location around to try to block this from happening :) I'd recommend using device prioritisation to give your console more upload so it gets what it needs when it needs it :) 

I don't mean to hijack the thread but is the Ethernet cable that comes with the R1 is it Cat 5e or 6?

I didn't get an ethernet cable in my R1 box :(

Not that is matters as I had a few Cat6's knocking about anyway.

It should have been included in the white envelope we sent it in, is there a chance it may have got chucked away by accident? If not I do apologise about that! 

There was just the box!

I knew that a cable was supposed to come with it, but like I said - I had some spare Cat6's so it didn't matter :)

I'd be more upset if I opened the box and the R1 was missing!

There was just the box!

I knew that a cable was supposed to come with it, but like I said - I had some spare Cat6's so it didn't matter :)

I'd be more upset if I opened the box and the R1 was missing!

dude just reading thaht made mi cruble in side

• Administrators

Now that I have the Netduma and I'm taking the #1 cause of lag out of the equation what else can I do to improve ping?  I've done a little research and here are some things I may try:

1. DNS change in router.  Many recommend using Namebench to find the best DNS servers for your location.

2. Would getting a CAT6 cable to go from console to router improve connection reliability?

3. Will port forwarding help if I've had to put the netduma in the DMZ of my ISP modem/router already?

Thanks

1. Nope, that will only make websites load slightly quicker
  2. You're talking microseconds here, so absolutely not
  3. Nope its only to do with connection establishment

To reduce ping use the Geo-Filter and congestion control section mate. If you're interested in the topic read this buddy: http://netduma.com/wtf-is-lag/

Haha yeah that would suck! Sorry about that quick, an oversight on our part! 

Don't worry about it.

The amazing customer service and awesome support on this forum more than make up for it!

Archived