UPnP tables empty using DHCP reservation

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Just checked my UPnP tables, they are totally blank! Not even skype is showing up. This seems to be an issue with DHCP reservation  possibly? The router was factory reset its been up for weeks I reloaded the firmware, everything works fine but UPnP reports nothing. (yes it is on) :)

• Administrators

Could well be DHCP reservation causing this. Could you post steps for us to try to reproduce? Is it as simple as:

1. Reserve DHCP
  2. Make sure UPNP is enabled
  3. Use device with reserved DHCP, ports will not appear on table
  4. Disable DHCP reservation
  5. Device will now show open ports on UPNP table

Thanks.

Guest Killhippie

Oddly If I take my iPad out of DHCP reservation and use skype no UDP Ports are shown, and my iMac is not showing as opening ports for facetime calls either. UPnP seems still broken in this firmware, it works but the table listing stays blank whether DHCP is used or not.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does UPnP show ports opening if you do a connection test on a console?

No, absolutely nothing shows, Fraser.

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, thanks for confirming. We / NETGEAR will investigate,

I tried a factory reset  but the Speedtest does not work properly, it took ages and got my download speed but could not get my upload speed and said it was 1000mbps And then said it had failed, I’m not sure if there is something wrong with the Speedtest because only grabbed my download speed, it showed I had 55.7 down but could not work out the upload and spent ages trying to do it before failing. This is on macOS 12. Can someone sanity check the Speedtest to see if it is working fir them? If it is there is an issue with macOS 12 and the XR500 maybe. It’s never half worked before. 

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

I tried a factory reset  but the Speedtest does not work properly, it took ages and got my download speed but could not get my upload speed and said it was 1000mbps And then said it had failed, I’m not sure if there is something wrong with the Speedtest because only grabbed my download speed, it showed I had 55.7 down but could not work out the upload and spent ages trying to do it before failing. This is on macOS 12. Can someone sanity check the Speedtest to see if it is working fir them? If it is there is an issue with macOS 12 and the XR500 maybe. It’s never half worked before. 

Just a check but if you disable WMM in Advanced WiFi settings and turn off QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloat settings does the upload work first time?

Guest Killhippie
31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just a check but if you disable WMM in Advanced WiFi settings and turn off QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloat settings does the upload work first time?

This is the built in Speedtest Fraser.  I reset the router to test UPnP table issues and during the setup process it fails the upload part of the built in Speedtest, and it also fails it from within the router as well after you set it up manually. So WMM and QOS will not be active during the set up process.

Something is very amiss here, and I’m not If it’s the router not connecting to whatever speed test site iNetgear or Netduma use properly. I can do a browser speed test fine just using say OOKLA speedtest or DSL Reports of Thinkbroadbands one.  This is from a hardwired iMac running  mojave 12.0 with Firefox 63.0.3

If there is a issue at the moment,  then setting the router up out the box means maybe it won’t complete the speed test, just the download part works as I said the upload test fails  and  you get a message saying the test failed and  upload is left at 1000Mbps! 

Also I’ve noticed that when it gives you the option to print your settings and then you click next and it checks for a firmware update the router loses connection at this point and the internet light goes orange so you can’t check for new firmware and if you  carry on just pressing next  after it says it says there is no connection  the connection then comes straight back up  this happens multiple times and is easy to reproduce. 

This behaviour started with this version of firmware, and does not always happen but it occurs more often than not   My connection is PPPoE with a vlan tag of 101 so nothing exotic on plain old VDSL2. The setup speedtest has never half failed since I’ve had the router though. 

I’m having exact same issue. I have fixed wireless broadband and have a carrier grade static IP address using XR500 with latest firmware installed. I’m getting Ubus binding pending a lot on my Logs and on windows 10 pc I noticed I was getting error code 45 on Ethernet adapter. I have reset XR500 to factory settings twice and it’s still acting like killhippie  explained about his XR500!!

• Administrators

Thanks for clarifying. It does use OOKLA as far as I am aware to do the in built speed test and it does fail sometimes but I don't think its a router issue necessarily. More likely the fact its using an API. With the setup wizard you usually do not have internet until its finished so that may be expected though I will check it out. 

Whats the issue you're having Action, I don't quite understand

After my isp assigned me a static IP address I can no longer get a teredo IP address on Xbox one x and Speedtest fails on upload and download with setup wizard

52 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Has your modem been adjusted to this change?

I just found out my isp assigned me a static ip that they had already subscribed to another customer! All is good now!! Thank you for your fast response and for your time Fraser!

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for clarifying. It does use OOKLA as far as I am aware to do the in built speed test and it does fail sometimes but I don't think its a router issue necessarily. More likely the fact its using an API. With the setup wizard you usually do not have internet until its finished so that may be expected though I will check it out. 

Whats the issue you're having Action, I don't quite understand

You have internet after putting in your password and username in my case so Ookla should work both up and down, not just down only.  Also it should not lose the Internet when you click and it shows your password for the router and your Wi-Fi password to print. That happens randomly but more often than not.  Today it happened five times and said it could not check for new firmware because it had no Internet connection, when it should have an Internet connection after the  speedtest which failed one way only,  if someone is using the router for the first time and are not sure of the correct speeds they can get they may be very confused by this problem, and also will not see there is a firmware update if the Internet is not connected when it should be. Oddly as I mentioned once you click past the firmware update page the internet returns... This was not seen in 2.3.2.22

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

Dunno what the actual differences in coding are between the XR500 and XR700 but my XR700 UPnP page is populating.

Woah, awesome. I don't know about the back-end stuff personally, but I do know that if this is working on one of the routers it'll soon work on all of them. Thanks for letting us know :)

Guest Killhippie

Code is very different even the R9000 had different versions of OpenSSL to the R7800 and XR500 (R9000 had older version of OpenSSL) I imagine the XR700 will have a newer version with hardware acceleration like the XR500. As to it being the latest though well I would not hold your breath Netgear are well known for not updating things like OpenSSL to the latest versions. Some of Netgears GPL like miniupnd  was ten years out of date and vulnerable even in some of the latest  routers (R9000) with hacks to fix binaries but not actually bothering to replace the GPL packages with up to date versions. which even third parties like Voxel who runs a fork of the Netgear code base for the R7800 and R9000. If Voxelf can compile the firmware with up to date packages even with a full time job why isn't Netgear doing this?

Sometimes it feels like Netgear appears lacking in certain areas but they do makes great hardware. The thing is though when say the XR500 R9000 and R7800 all have say different versions of OpenSSL why are the individual firmware writers for each router not keeping things up to date across the board by using the same versions. It seems communication between coders using GPL is not great considering its open source. None of this should happen when they all work under the same roof either.

Rather like RMerlin Voxel improves on original code, in fact they both know each other on smallnetbuilder. It’s a shame Voxels code which fixes Netgears bugs can’t be implemented in the XR500/XR700 too. Below is a link to the R7800 firmware of his, on smallnetbuilder so people can see how much he patches, and what Netgear does not   

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-61sf.49358/

Just wanted to chime in on the Internet speed test issue. I've had to do a few factory resets with the XR500 last week and this week. I have the latest firmware.

Last week, it could test the download and upload speeds fine (though it did take two tries). This week, it can't seem to get the upload speed worked out no matter what. Seems like it defaults to 1000 Mbps when it fails.

So, you're not alone in this issue, it doesn't seem to be tied to a firmware version, and I was able to reproduce the issue over several days when it started happening. Also, a speed test right before or after setup using speedtest.net (which is Ookla) would work just fine.

Guest Killhippie
27 minutes ago, twalls said:

Just wanted to chime in on the Internet speed test issue. I've had to do a few factory resets with the XR500 last week and this week. I have the latest firmware.

Last week, it could test the download and upload speeds fine (though it did take two tries). This week, it can't seem to get the upload speed worked out no matter what. Seems like it defaults to 1000 Mbps when it fails.

So, you're not alone in this issue, it doesn't seem to be tied to a firmware version, and I was able to reproduce the issue over several days when it started happening. Also, a speed test right before or after setup using speedtest.net (which is Ookla) would work just fine.

Cheers. I’ts been sanity checked along with another issue and it’s been reported to Netgear so hopefully it will be fixed at some point sooner rather than later. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, twalls said:

Thanks for letting us know. NETGEAR are onto it. 

Guest Killhippie
On 10/20/2018 at 12:10 AM, e38BimmerFN said:

Just to add the I'm getting uPnP table information on my XR450. Using Opera browser.Both game consoles are IP Reserved

XR450uPnP.png

Mine has never shown like that tbh, either using Safari or Firefox or  mobile Safari. <sigh> Then again Chrome uses Blink as a layout engine as does Opera and it seems Chrome is used a lot in development as well from what I read here. The router needs to be able to handle more browsers, if browser compatibility is the issue. I won't download and use Chrome just to run my router, or Opera as I like the browsers I have and use Firefox is my main daily driver on macOS.

Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for letting us know. NETGEAR are onto it. 

I spoke to Netgear yesterday and saw the post after mine, so let you know there as soon as I could, since the Ookla speedtest part is under Netgears control. Also if you change your password at a later date using ASCII characters the / symbol is counted as two not one digit. So if you use a 63 digit ASCII password for your main network which quite a few people do, it wont let you add it at a later date with / in it. This is a very old bug from the R7800 and I was surprised it was still happening on the XR500. As the R7800 and XR500 routers run on the same Netgear code as they are technically the same router, so you would think the XR500 would be updated with these bug fixes as well. Anyway engineering are aware of  both now.  :)