UPnP tables empty using DHCP reservation

Guest Killhippie

Just adding a +1 for this issue. I've tried all the advice in this thread and still don't see it populate properly. I got maximum 4 ports open over 4 days uptime. Had to reboot at that point to get consoles to connect to party chat.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

I'm wondering if this is a browser or connected client device issue that could be causing this for some. Possible router HW issue maybe? 

I don't think it's a hardware issue. Can someone with the issue provide the system information log after doing a connection test on a console (when it should trigger ports to open) with UPnP enabled also

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't think it's a hardware issue. Can someone with the issue provide the system information log after doing a connection test on a console (when it should trigger ports to open) with UPnP enabled also

Hope this helps. I have removed the mac address of my PS4 Pro. Just a note the speedtest always takes about 20seconds to determine the NAT type, this seems to trigger the IP fragmentation message as well. Also in earlier firmware versions it would show the full speed my line gets, now the speedtest is part of the QoS high priority traffic, this changed way back around 2.1.0.6 and thereafter although I'm hazarding a guess here on what version, but maybe the speedtest should not be included in high priority traffic. As to UPnP tables its never worked with my PS4 Pro, on any of the three XR500's routers I have used. Only things like Skype on my iPad showed last time around on the previous firmware revision.

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:21:05 [DumaOS] DHCP new event., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:21:05 [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:21:05 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:20:33 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:20:33 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:52 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:52 [DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:42 [DumaOS] DHCP new event., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:42 [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:42 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:32 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:31 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:01 [DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:19:01 [DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:18:51 [DumaOS] DHCP new event., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:18:51 [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx , Monday, October 22, 2018 08:18:51 [admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Monday, October 22, 2018 08:17:48 [DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:12:46 [DumaOS] DHCP new event., Monday, October 22, 2018 08:12:46

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

I'm wondering if this is a browser or connected client device issue that could be causing this for some. Possible router HW issue maybe? 

I doubt its hardware as there are many revisions of the XR500 out there, mine I think mine is the third revision (with ports the correct way round), and some will be using release units here, so doubtful its hardware, especially when it gave some UPnP results under the last firmware. Maybe the team could test using the latest version of Firefox, and borrow a Mac laptop and test under Safari 12, as well as using Windows browsers. I wont use Chrome and it seems everything works better if you use Chrome, but the routers GUI should work under any browser not just Chrome based ones.

23 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, thanks for tleyying us know azza. Did you have dhcp reservation on too?

I have tried with reservation on and off for all devices. I consistently get port 3659 open for my PC's when I play Bf4 but I almost never see ports open for anything else.

I only ever recall at most 4 ports being listed in UPnP, I'm fairly certain 2 we're for my PC, BF4 and uTorrent. One was for a laptop, BF4. I'm not certain what the 4th port was.

I'll check logs when I get home and run a console connection test, open Bf4, and uTorrent.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Please try disabling DHCP reservation and then run those tests. Let us know if it then works. Thanks.

My iMac is not on DHCP reservation and it does not show in UPnP and it’s my main computer. 

Try this? Turn OFF the router for a good two minutes AND ALL devices. Power ON the router and let it come to ready. Power on the Mac and maybe a wireless device. Load up something that should trigger upnp, Browser and a page or an app like xbox live app. Something. Maybe RDP. Check the uPnP page, anything appear here? 

Have you tried manually loading FW again? Maybe even go back an load the 1st version of 500 FW just to see if this problem travels, factory reset and set up from scratch and check the uPnP page...

Following this thread ..

I wonder if the implementation of upnp is still a little bugged... I ran wireshark and watched what was going on..

You can monitor SSDP traffic and watch NOTIFY and M-SEARCH requests with it.

I see XR500 is using:

Server: XR500 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0 

Which is pretty outdated and has security issues, but I'm assuming they've probably modified it a lot (I HOPE?)

I have a neutered fios G1100 router in the mix, not doing anything but running a moca connection, everything is disabled -- but it's using bhr upnp v2.0 ... http://upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v2.0.pdf  -- it still searches for the server on multicast, even tho upnp is disabled, I may just kill the whole ethernet bridge on it at some point, not sure what it's up to, it's not really needed except for management of it.

I can also see my wifi extenders making noise here, and they are on some outdated upnp also (old netgear, upnp redsonic iOt crap - gonna dump this soon for a better solution) .. my mesh AP (R7000 in AP mode) is silent

I can see requests for M-Search (media servers, from my directv boxes or PCs/laptops) and a few NOTIFY's that aren't displayed on XR500 uPnP list from some PCs, but they must be working, since they are working without issue .. even though they are not displaying in the upnp list on the XR500. My XR500 does show skype, and xbox, and some other ports, but not as detailed as I'm seeing going on in the packets on the network.  I also noticed one of my PCs was making requests on ipv6 looking for ipv6 unpn channel.. even though I don't use ipv6, I must of left that enabled on one machine, so good that I found that! .. not a big deal it's just going unanswered.

So not sure exactly if netgear has the latest version of upnp daemon or a highly modded 1.0 going on in the XR500.  Maybe Netduma can ask them the deal. I'm not posting this to Netgear forum, I don't think they have as close a connection to the dev team, and probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Fraser,

Maybe in a future release consider some additional options besides only on/off in UPnP.. perhaps always off option (On for newbies) , but an additional allow or deny UPnP only from selected host IP or group of IPs you can create/modify (more secure)...

Also, management (http://192.168.1.1) works in https:// but the certificate is a self -signed/generated netgear one (better then nothing) but no option in there check off for "only allow ssl connections to management" that I can find ..   I think password is clear text so router password can be sniffed in http://

xr500user

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Try this? Turn OFF the router for a good two minutes AND ALL devices. Power ON the router and let it come to ready. Power on the Mac and maybe a wireless device. Load up something that should trigger upnp, Browser and a page or an app like xbox live app. Something. Maybe RDP. Check the uPnP page, anything appear here? 

Have you tried manually loading FW again? Maybe even go back an load the 1st version of 500 FW just to see if this problem travels, factory reset and set up from scratch and check the uPnP page...

I’ve tried all of this to the point where I’m pulling my hair out, I have to admit I’m starting to get a little tired of the amount of bugs that this  router has to be honest.  And surprisingly enough they are all Netgear bugs pretty much not Netduma ones. UPnP is part of  netgears firmware I believe. I actually miss my R7800 with Voxels firmware. 

I hear ya. Would like to know though if you did go back to initial FW? Would be good to know and let NG and Duma know this maybe a bug since 1st release.

Ya, NG is responsible for the uPnP and there side of the fence stuff. NG has never been proactive on updating the behind the scenes packages. They really should take what Voxel does and apply some of his methods. Wouldn't hurt. I'm sure there are legalities of course since most router mfrs don't do there own packages anymore. They all come from 3rd party vendors which have to make the changes. NG and the other Mfrs just implement them in the FW bundles and test. 😫

I have an idea, How about Netgear spend some of that cash and hire Voxel?  Even as a part time weekender he may be able to fix much more - much quicker.

Start by updating all the packages and securing them all down.  Routers aren't set it and forget it, they are your first line of defense after the WAN and need people like that so focused on keeping it locked down and secure at the first sign of a zero day.  Netgear does support it indeed, but leaves a lot of their stuff outdated, and slow with updates it seems.  Plus the games with the Hybrid VPN really annoy me -- not that obvious, lol.  but where to go from here? Chinese hardware and software, or lesser known routers which are probably much worse in the security and functionality department..? It needs to be communicated they need to spend more attention to this.  I don't mind a new firmware every week or two, if they are hard at work fixing stuff.  The 3 months rotation is too long to leave a gaping hole open in the front door.  Fine if they introduce a bug, as long as upgrading from prior version is fully tested so you can jump right to the next version a day or so later over night with minimal down time.  Maybe options to Auto Update Firmware (yes/no),  General 3 month release (yes/no), Cutting Edge (yes/no) options.    Think about it.

18 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Please try disabling DHCP reservation and then run those tests. Let us know if it then works. Thanks.

I just attempted to flash to 2.2.1.10 to test previous versions if UPnP worked on them and couldn't get internet to be routed to devices... XR500 was connected via PPPOE and could update itself to latest FW fine but no internet to any devices, wireless or wired. Did a reset using the button after each FW update. Internet persisted to not work on latest FW.

Flashed to 2.3.2.22 and reset via the button again and internet started working, set it up with only my laptop on wifi, VOiP phone on wired, PS4Pro on wifi.
No IP reservation set up, haven't touched a thing other than configuring internet. Even the wifi is default ssid and password. Run a ps4 connection test and nada, nothing.

PS4 NAT type is type 2, Moderate. It should be type 1 if UPnP is working correctly.

I connected my PC and ran uTorrent and skype. Both opened ports in UPnP. Photo below, log below.

This is all with DHCP reservation off.

Starting to feel the same as Killhippie here... Paid rather a lot of money for this router for it to come with a fair few bugs. I understand teething problems and am happy to help get issues diagnosed and fixed, however Netgear don't seem that interested in providing good update support at all. One of the main features of this router is currently gimped on the latest FW because they can't be bothered to push the update that fixes it, manual traffic prioritization rule error. It's been brought up a few times on the forum and been noted and fixed... Where is the hotfix? Quarterly update cycles on a flagship device is a joke.

I love what the Netduma team has done with their side of the software, and your presence on the forums is amazing. Netgear is letting you guys down here. 

Untitled.jpg

xr500 upnp log.txt

Guest Killhippie

Nat type has always been 2 on all Netgear routers as for the rest I undersdtand how you feel.

1 hour ago, azza10 said:

I just attempted to flash to 2.2.1.10 to test previous versions if UPnP worked on them and couldn't get internet to be routed to devices... XR500 was connected via PPPOE and could update itself to latest FW fine but no internet to any devices, wireless or wired. Did a reset using the button after each FW update. Internet persisted to not work on latest FW.

Flashed to 2.3.2.22 and reset via the button again and internet started working, set it up with only my laptop on wifi, VOiP phone on wired, PS4Pro on wifi.
No IP reservation set up, haven't touched a thing other than configuring internet. Even the wifi is default ssid and password. Run a ps4 connection test and nada, nothing.

PS4 NAT type is type 2, Moderate. It should be type 1 if UPnP is working correctly.

I connected my PC and ran uTorrent and skype. Both opened ports in UPnP. Photo below, log below.

This is all with DHCP reservation off.

Starting to feel the same as Killhippie here... Paid rather a lot of money for this router for it to come with a fair few bugs. I understand teething problems and am happy to help get issues diagnosed and fixed, however Netgear don't seem that interested in providing good update support at all. One of the main features of this router is currently gimped on the latest FW because they can't be bothered to push the update that fixes it, manual traffic prioritization rule error. It's been brought up a few times on the forum and been noted and fixed... Where is the hotfix? Quarterly update cycles on a flagship device is a joke.

I love what the Netduma team has done with their side of the software, and your presence on the forums is amazing. Netgear is letting you guys down here. 

Untitled.jpg

xr500 upnp log.txt

PS4 has always been Nat type 2 on all Netgear routers I have used. As for the rest, yep its a gimped router at the moment with lots of bugs and the XR700 is now out with Hybrid VPN, if you want to pay £490 in the UK. I wonder if that router has the manual traffic prioritisation issues? I'm always willing to help but 8 months down the line and still so many bugs on Netgears side, Netduma could have pushed an update to fix the prioritisation issue, if it was their hardware I'm sure. Also there is UpnP tables not showing up properly, a firmware bug with DHCP? But my iMac doesn't use DHCP Reservation and still nothing in the tables. The / symbol counts as two digits in a password (old R7800 bug) and the speedtest does not work properly (well it didn't last week)  <smh>

• Administrators

I could be missing something here, but isn't Type 2 on PS4 generally mean it is fine, it's just that the Playstation test detects that your main router is connected to another router?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ps4-nat-type-failed-solved/

Sony PS NAT types differ from MS Xbox NAT types. Type 1 on PS will be a PS directly connected to a modem. Type 2 is a PS connected to a router behind a modem. For Sony, this never changes unless they decide too. 🙄

MS just uses OPEN, Moderate and Strict. Open means the port is open thru and router and or modem and single NAT condition is present. Moderate means the port isn't fully open or using other port means or there is a double NAT condition. Strict is the port isn't available and double NAT is present. 

You guys that are effected by this should post this over on the NG support forum as well to for more visibility:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

There maybe others having same problem which maybe cause for seeing various other issues while using the router and while gaming. Get more NG eyes on it as well. 

Guest Killhippie
On 10/23/2018 at 3:32 PM, e38BimmerFN said:

You guys that are effected by this should post this over on the NG support forum as well to for more visibility:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

There maybe others having same problem which maybe cause for seeing various other issues while using the router and while gaming. Get more NG eyes on it as well. 

Engeering have been informed from what I know so it’s in their hands now. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, BiggShooter said:

I'm getting UPnP populating on my XR500.  It's showing the IP address of my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.  Both are connected via ethernet cable to the S8000 Gaming Switch.

What are your settings qos on xr500 and s8000 on the Bandwidth Allocation  % , do you have upnp and igmp online in s8000