QOS not working on Upload - PPPoE VLAN7 Telekom

That wouldn't make a difference really. It's just the part with adding VLAN tags through the switch that doesn't work (or at least I haven't configured it right yet LMAO) When I switch off VLAN mode and let the XR500 do the VLAN tagging it works fine except the QoS on the XR500's upload doesn't. The ability do do 802.1Q VLAN tags was added to the S8000 at a later stage so maybe the implementation on that is dodgy. 

The ony downside of this configuration is that you can't access the switch through your network so what I do is I use an old router that I had laying around as AP and plug that in the switch whenever I need access to it. Just for the configuration of the switch itself you need to set a IP and a gateway so I have set them to 192.168.1.1 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and then it works without issue. With a non managed switch this would be no issue however now I can also set the switch to prioritize the gaming port etc. I set that up as a simple port based QoS, so it lets gaming traffic in front.

The best way to do this would actually be a switch with SFP port as this also allows you to eliminate the ONT, simply use a LC fiber module and let the switch replace the ONT. Or actually you let the switch act like a smart/managed ONT. Not willing to spend the money on it though as it's way overkill for playing a videogame. It would just be less items in the network setup. This is very specific though since I get 2 WAN connections over 1 fiber cable, under any other circumstance there should be no need for a switch before the router.

The gaming/esport part of the connection has 300 mbit up/down bandwidth and I am using about 0.5mbit while playing so really QoS and bufferbloat etc are all non issues.

If somebody had a single wan over fiber they could probably use a managed switch and set the VLAN tags on both the network and uplink port and it would work. QoS would be active as well but really I don't think there is much advantage over using the ISP router and letting that handle PPPoE/VLAN tags but it depends on the quality of the ISP's router.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, jordi08110 said:

From september with this problem? Is increíble,i cannot use the quos corrctly.... i use the warranty thing...

If you have another router you could put in between to handle it then that may be an alternative until the fix.

• Administrators

For example it would be modem/ONT > router handling VLAN > XR500. You would put the WAN IP of the XR500 found in System Information into the DMZ of the other router and disable the other router WiFi. Then connect all devices to the XR500.

On 30/7/2019 at 23:59, Netduma Fraser said:

Por ejemplo, sería módem / ONT> enrutador que maneja VLAN> XR500. Debería colocar la IP WAN del XR500 que se encuentra en Información del sistema en la DMZ del otro enrutador y deshabilitar el WiFi del otro enrutador. Luego, conecte todos los dispositivos al XR500.

And the upnp of isp router/ont how wll activate or desactivate? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I’ve found a solution for now. I’ve turned pppoe on in the xr500 but turned off vlan tagging in the xr500. I then connected fiber box to port one of the managed switch then from port 2 of the switch to the xr500. Then go into your switch settings and vlan settings and tag port 1 and port 2 with vlan 10, leaving the other ports untagged. The xr500 works flawlessly now that it doesn’t handle vlan tagging. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, fapint said:

you might be expecting a bit too much of this device.  maybe it's time to try your hand at pfSense?

It isn't a situation that is unresolvable. It is perfectly capable of working correctly in that way when the devs can sort it out.

I went back to the switch on VLAN thing and tried again, same issue. Light flashes white as in Internet enabled. Turned out I just needed to reboot the router and then it works. For some reason it won't take it on the fly, I think it wasn't getting the proper DNS.

So you need to set your switch like this:

Port to/from modem/ONT: Tagged with VLAN from ISP (packets outgoing retain VLAN tag)

Port to/from XR500: Untagged with VLAN from ISP (strips VLAN tag before sending traffic to router)

Port VLAD ID (PVID) to/from XR500: ISP VLAN (Adds VLAN tag to traffic going in the switch)

This needs a 802.1Q capable managed switch.