New fake update ?

Hi guys,

As I am waiting for the new update as you promised, I was checking in the "firmware update" section on the router and found V2.3.2.32 available. so i updated into that, after the router download and rebooted, I was excited to see some new features like the VPN. 

unfortunately, nothing. all the same....

what was that about ?????  

Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, Blur said:

Hi guys,

As I am waiting for the new update as you promised, I was checking in the "firmware update" section on the router and found V2.3.2.32 available. so i updated into that, after the router download and rebooted, I was excited to see some new features like the VPN. 

unfortunately, nothing. all the same....

what was that about ?????  

Read the release notes for further details. Also hybrid VPN was not promised in this update as far as I know it was made clear it was being tested. But stability and security updates come around quite regularly. 

I am not talking about hybird VPN. I used to be able to use my Express VPN on my R1 and since i upgraded to the XR500 which I seriously regret, I cant my VPN as I used to, the VPN system on the XR500 has to be with "hide my ass" which I dont have an account on and do not like. it was much easier on the R1 to copy and paste a code, type the user name and password and it's all set.

Now every time I ask about the VPN I get the answer of "it's not our deadline" , "it's under testing by Netgear" or "it should be out very soon" ....

well , we didnt buy this router for Netgear, we bought it for Netduma and it's really annoying that we can not get an estimated time on when it is going to be released, DomaOS is missing alot of features that the R1 has which shouldn't be the case since is an upgrade and more expensive. 

Also, dont tell me if netduma contacts netgear to ask them about the testing progress they will not give them an estimated time. everything takes too long on here and I am seriously starting to dislike Netduma. I thought your support was awesome cause I got help with some issues I had but now , well it's a major disappointment. 

I will stop nagging now as I know I well get another weird answer that is irrelevant to the dates and the features so there is no point. 

I am done here.

Guest Killhippie
3 minutes ago, Blur said:

I am not talking about hybird VPN. I used to be able to use my Express VPN on my R1 and since i upgraded to the XR500 which I seriously regret, I cant my VPN as I used to, the VPN system on the XR500 has to be with "hide my ass" which I dont have an account on and do not like. it was much easier on the R1 to copy and paste a code, type the user name and password and it's all set.

I will stop nagging now as I know I well get another weird answer that is irrelevant to the dates and the features so there is no point. 

I am done here.

If you had done some research on the XR500 you would have found out you can only use HMA until the Hybrid VPN is released. This has been talked about many times on the forum. This is not the R1 or its hardware its DumaOS. Also its Netgears hardware, and firmware that DumaOS runs on. Netduma have to wait for Netgear to test as well and release, so take up some of your issues issues with Netgear maybe. As to weird answers, you are aware routers get updates with no outward change to fix security issues which can patch holes in code that leave your router and LAN vulnerable or bugs that can cause issues? Most updates will always be bug fixes and as Fraser pointed out and security updates, with some having new features when they are ready. Hope all goes well.

We hear u Brother, were all in the "slow boat" going nowhere fast with updates....

Also, If im not mistaken.... Netgear had to "change the wording" on the XR500 as it stated something else in relation to VPN in the manual ....?

I'm sure its on this (or another) forum somewhere....must have a search for it....

found it here , Post #18  Netgear published this (or see point.6 below)

https://kb.netgear.com/000053077/What-is-a-gaming-VPN-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Router

To set up a gaming VPN:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
  2. Enter www.routerlogin.net.
    A login window displays.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The Dashboard displays.
  4. Click Settings > Advanced Settings > VPN Client.
  5. Select the Enable VPN Client check box.
  6. Select your VPN provider from the VPN Server drop-down menu.
  7. Select the VPN protocol, country, and city that you want to use for your VPN connection.
  8. Enter the user name and password provided by your VPN service provider.
  9. Click the Connect button to connect to your VPN service.
    Your VPN service is enabled.

Cleary, Netgear gave us a VERY misleading instruction here !!! it is missing a line,  "haha suckers, we only added HideMyAss !!! hahahaaaaa Losers!"

LOL read post #4  HERE  (Hybrid VPN) ... "It will be available in March." ..... ?    Or...  April...May...June...July...August...September...2019...2020...2030 LOL!!!!

this, just about says it all for us....

donkey.jpg

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

If you had done some research on the XR500 you would have found out you can only use HMA until the Hybrid VPN is released. This has been talked about many times on the forum. This is not the R1 or its hardware its DumaOS. Also its Netgears hardware, and firmware that DumaOS runs on. Netduma have to wait for Netgear to test as well and release, so take up some of your issues issues with Netgear maybe. As to weird answers, you are aware routers get updates with no outward change to fix security issues which can patch holes in code that leave your router and LAN vulnerable or bugs that can cause issues? Most updates will always be bug fixes and as Fraser pointed out and security updates, with some having new features when they are ready. Hope all goes well.

looooool. apologize man, but this is nonsense you are speaking there. first of all, I don't need to do my "research" before buying a router that is advertised by netduma to be alot more powerful and better than the netduma, following logic, that would mean it has everything the R1 has and does it better. But I have to apologize that 1- i put too much trust in netduma 2- my expectations were a bit too high after all the wait for the DomaOS.

oh and I dont have any "issues" to take up on Netgear. as a customer, again, I bought it because of netduma's software and my expectations that I had based on owning the R1 which is alot less powerfull than the XR500. I am not the technical one here who should be caring about technical stuff and paperwork between netduma and netgear. I am just another customer who uses the product and spreads the word if I am satisfied or tell people not to buy this product if I am not which does influence the market.

Anyway, we are looping around with no result so there is no point. I just hope netduma knows why customers are dissatisfied cause its not just me, checking the forum, there are ALOT of dissatisfied customers. tell you what, the best ones are the ones who speak out, the worst ones are who say nothing without the company knowing what the problem was !!

cheers. 

49 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

We hear u Brother, were all in the "slow boat" going nowhere fast with updates....

Also, If im not mistaken.... Netgear had to "change the wording" on the XR500 as it stated something else in relation to VPN in the manual ....?

I'm sure its on this (or another) forum somewhere....must have a search for it....

found it here , Post #18  Netgear published this (or see point.6 below)

https://kb.netgear.com/000053077/What-is-a-gaming-VPN-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Router

To set up a gaming VPN:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
  2. Enter www.routerlogin.net.
    A login window displays.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The Dashboard displays.
  4. Click Settings > Advanced Settings > VPN Client.
  5. Select the Enable VPN Client check box.
  6. Select your VPN provider from the VPN Server drop-down menu.
  7. Select the VPN protocol, country, and city that you want to use for your VPN connection.
  8. Enter the user name and password provided by your VPN service provider.
  9. Click the Connect button to connect to your VPN service.
    Your VPN service is enabled.

Cleary, Netgear gave us a VERY misleading instruction here !!! it is missing a line,  "haha suckers, we only added HideMyAss !!! hahahaaaaa Losers!"

LOL read post #4  HERE  (Hybrid VPN) ... "It will be available in March." ..... ?     April...May...June...July...August...September...2019...2020...2030 LOL!!!!

spot on.

Clearly netduma is getting paid by hidemyass to do so, since this was also the case for the R1. The company needs to do some side money I guess !! problem is, they dont see the problem and everyone is blaming it on someone else :( 

EvAsus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/

LinkSyshttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LQZFHM/ref=asc_df_B072LQZFHM5611562?smid=A123RH17TQFVJD&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B072LQZFHM&ascsubtag=pcg-1386656341722623436-20

TP-Link Talon AD7200 Multi-Band Wi-Fi Router

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac5300-tri-band-ac-gigabit-router-black/5008900.p?skuId=5008900&intl=nosplash

I mean, it's not like it's the only gaming router available on the market. there are MANY more. It's sad to see netduma go downhil :( Fraser should check his email and forum history just to see how I always use to speak positively about netduma and support it all the way.  I never thought I would be speaking negativly about this company, but I guess i have all the right to now out of frustration and disappointment. 

8 minutes ago, Blur said:

EvAsus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/

LinkSyshttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LQZFHM/ref=asc_df_B072LQZFHM5611562?smid=A123RH17TQFVJD&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B072LQZFHM&ascsubtag=pcg-1386656341722623436-20

TP-Link Talon AD7200 Multi-Band Wi-Fi Router

I mean, it's not like it's the only gaming router available on the market. there are MANY more. It's sad to see netduma go downhil :( Fraser should check his email and forum history just to see how I always use to speak positively about netduma and support it all the way.  I never thought I would be speaking negativly about this company, but I guess i have all the right to now out of frustration and disappointment. 

if either of these routers has a Geo Filter, I'm ditching the XR500 for one ?

10 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

if either of these routers has a Geo Filter, I'm ditching the XR500 for one ?

check this out : 

and many other problems and issued regarding that "geo filter" that netduma is all fussed about including alot of topics I has started that include incorrect data and issues with the Geo filter like it allowing peers to host out of its range and many other issues.

Asus teamed up with a company called WTFast which lowers pings in a different way but choosing different shorter packet routes thus decreasing the ping to up to 80%. my friend in UAE just got it and is giving me awesome feedback. do your research !! best of luck

• Netduma Staff

There's a lot of negativity and speculation going on in this thread. I can see why - it's hard to figure out what is true when no official statements are being made. If you knew what we are doing behind the scenes though, everything you're speculating about would make sense.

The VPN Hybrid feature has had numerous delays and is going through stringent Netgear internal testing. It's not a carrot on a stick - we're not advertising it as coming soon since don't know when it'll be available. It's an essential feature though, and both us and Netgear recognise the importance of getting it to you guys as soon as possible.

No, we aren't paid by HideMyAss. Would we even want to support more VPN providers if we were? We're working on VPN Hybrid specifically to support as many as possible - for you guys.

Negativity breeds negativity. We'll be releasing so many features in the future that DumaOS will be an incredible resource, and I guarantee you'll both be using it as a result. We're dedicated to upgrading it long into the future, and we haven't even begun to release new features yet (for various behind the scenes reasons). Once we do, you'll see the benefit for years to come.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

There's a lot of negativity and speculation going on in this thread. I can see why - it's hard to figure out what is true when no official statements are being made. If you knew what we are doing behind the scenes though, everything you're speculating about would make sense.

The VPN Hybrid feature has had numerous delays and is going through stringent Netgear internal testing. It's not a carrot on a stick - we're not advertising it as coming soon since don't know when it'll be available. It's an essential feature though, and both us and Netgear recognise the importance of getting it to you guys as soon as possible.

No, we aren't paid by HideMyAss. Would we even want to support more VPN providers if we were? We're working on VPN Hybrid specifically to support as many as possible - for you guys.

Negativity breeds negativity. We'll be releasing so many features in the future that DumaOS will be an incredible resource, and I guarantee you'll both be using it as a result. We're dedicated to upgrading it long into the future, and we haven't even begun to release new features yet (for various behind the scenes reasons). Once we do, you'll see the benefit for years to come.

no disrespect and u guys are hard at it behind the scenes, but YES it is a carrot on a stick. It was promised in March....

post #4  HERE

We're all just fed up waiting. things are just taking wa...y too long.

march.jpg

35 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Negativity breeds negativity.  - can u really blame us ?

We'll be releasing so many features in the future that DumaOS will be an incredible resource - what exactly and when exactly ? realistic answers please!

we haven't even begun to release new features yet (for various behind the scenes reasons) - We know you havent, so what are the reasons behind the scenes ??  (months after release , name one new feature?)

if it wasn't for the Geo Filter, i would have ditched this router a week after purchase.

at the very least, PM us all with the truth if it cant be shown here  ?

• Netduma Staff
40 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

Negativity breeds negativity.  - can u really blame us ?

We'll be releasing so many features in the future that DumaOS will be an incredible resource - what exactly and when exactly ? realistic answers please!

we haven't even begun to release new features yet (for various behind the scenes reasons) - We know you havent, so what are the reasons behind the scenes ??  (months after release , name one new feature?)

if it wasn't for the Geo Filter, i would have ditched this router a week after purchase.

at the very least, PM us all with the truth if it cant be shown here  ?

We plan on releasing a public roadmap soon which will show you exactly what we plan in terms of new features. It's difficult to predict how long each feature will take, but as I say - DumaOS will be supported for many years to come.

'Realistic answers' just means us telling you exactly what we're working on at all times, and telling you exactly when a new feature will be released. Making that kind of information public would be detrimental to us - if we missed a launch date or have to prioritise other tasks, uproar and speculation would follow. Asking us to tell you what happens behind the scenes is an unrealistic expectation; there are good reasons why our development needs to be kept under-wraps, and almost every other company would not divulge this kind of information.

Also please bear in mind that no other router company will be upgrading their router like we will be; most routers out there massively neglect their software. The roadmap we have ahead of us is enormous and the task of producing new features is even larger. DumaOS is already the best rated router software on the planet for good reason; if you want high quality features, time needs to be spent on them.

In short - you'll be able to check out our development roadmap soon, and we'll be engaging with you guys more on that once features begin to get rolled out.

I remember reading that manual and some forum posts with official responses stating that it was in earlier versions of DumaOS.

As someone that desperately needed a VPN solution in router, and not wanting to accept HMA's horrible service, I opted to downgrade to every single version of DumaOS, risking bricking my Router at each downgrade... and nothing, it never existed.

Welcome to DumaOS for the R1 in a whole new perspective... VPN.

26 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

We plan on releasing a public roadmap soon which will show you exactly what we plan in terms of new features. It's difficult to predict how long each feature will take, but as I say - DumaOS will be supported for many years to come.

'Realistic answers' just means us telling you exactly what we're working on at all times, and telling you exactly when a new feature will be released. Making that kind of information public would be detrimental to us - if we missed a launch date or have to prioritise other tasks, uproar and speculation would follow. Asking us to tell you what happens behind the scenes is an unrealistic expectation; there are good reasons why our development needs to be kept under-wraps, and almost every other company would not divulge this kind of information.

Also please bear in mind that no other router company will be upgrading their router like we will be; most routers out there massively neglect their software. The roadmap we have ahead of us is enormous and the task of producing new features is even larger. DumaOS is already the best rated router software on the planet for good reason; if you want high quality features, time needs to be spent on them.

In short - you'll be able to check out our development roadmap soon, and we'll be engaging with you guys more on that once features begin to get rolled out.

Public roadmap? Not being rude but I doubt anyone actually believes in any additional "roadmaps" created by the Duma team.

No other router company upgrades like your company? Most routers neglect their software? I've never had a router come close to being as buggy as the Netduma, both DumaOS and the R1 software.

• Netduma Staff
1 minute ago, NetriX said:

I remember reading that manual and some forum posts with official responses stating that it was in earlier versions of DumaOS.

As someone that desperately needed a VPN solution in router, and not wanting to accept HMA's horrible service, I opted to downgrade to every single version of DumaOS, risking bricking my Router at each downgrade... and nothing, it never existed.

Welcome to DumaOS for the R1 in a whole new perspective... VPN.

VPN Hybrid will probably be on the R1 before the Netgear routers since we do our own in-house testing. Hopefully with that and Ping Assist on the R1, there won't be any features that anyone misses from the old R1 firmware. Make sure you let us know once DumaOS is available if there was any specific feature you used to use on the old R1 firmware which isn't present on DumaOS and we'll see if we can implement it.

I hadn't heard about the VPN being mentioned in the manual, but that sounds like an error that should have long been fixed. Again, lots goes on behind the scenes and we're working with many different Netgear teams. Many aspects of DumaOS have gone extremely smoothly, but there's always things that go wrong.

• Netduma Staff
2 minutes ago, NetriX said:

Public roadmap? Not being rude but I doubt anyone actually believes in any additional "roadmaps" created by the Duma team.

No other router company upgrades like your company? Most routers neglect their software? I've never had a router come close to being as buggy as the Netduma, both DumaOS and the R1 software.

We'll be making sure our public roadmap is much more accurate and as vague as it needs to be. We won't be overpromising any more or setting unrealistic deadlines as we realise the damage it can cause if a launch date is missed. It'll be a reliable way of seeing which features are on the way.

Remember that it's only buggy in your experience. The original R1 firmware is pretty buggy, and unfortunately since we had to focus on DumaOS we couldn't fix those original bugs. DumaOS is extremely highly praised for its stability though, and the amount of people currently using DumaOS is massive compared to the amount of issues people are reporting.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

We'll be making sure our public roadmap is much more accurate and as vague as it needs to be. We won't be overpromising any more or setting unrealistic deadlines as we realise the damage it can cause if a launch date is missed. It'll be a reliable way of seeing which features are on the way.

Remember that it's only buggy in your experience. The original R1 firmware is pretty buggy, and unfortunately since we had to focus on DumaOS we couldn't fix those original bugs. DumaOS is extremely highly praised for its stability though, and the amount of people currently using DumaOS is massive compared to the amount of issues people are reporting.

.. i think the damage was done long ago.. and jumping into bed with Netgear was your greatest mistake....