xr500 one month later

not sure if its an issue but after reading up on the forum here and others im concerned with my ping while gaming.

im on the east coast..my ISP is giving me 300 down 20 up give or take ( I believe the initial test on the router was 346 down when I set it up)..

my xbox one x is the only device on ethernet approx 25 ft away from the router.

my average ping on the geo filter tab during a game  is anywhere from 99-140.. occasionally it gets over 200.

I have the radius set to 417 miles in strict mode

is there anything im doing wrong here.. or maybe an issue setting it up?... maybe the ethernet cable is too long? not sure if that would cause a higher ping.. still kinda new to this set up.. my previous set up 2 months ago was an old netgear router and 60mbps down 5 up.. and im not sure how much betting this xr500 has made my connection

(edit/ mainly playing PUBG, but ive used the same settings with fortnite, cod, battlefront, all with similar pings, also have tried the "profiles" in the geo filter tab and no change)

• Administrators

Hi snap, welcome to the forum!

PUBG & Fortnite you can't use the Geo-Filter to get you the closest server as they use region based matchmaking. Not sure about Battlefront but CoD you can definitely get the closest server to you.

The main cause here is likely QoS. Make sure Anti-Bufferbloat is set to 'Always' with 70% set for both download & upload. Allocate bandwidth to your gaming device as well. DumaOS Classified Games should be enabled. 

It could also be an ISP issue, follow this guide plugged directly into the modem and post the screenshot results here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

• Administrators

Was this directly from the modem? Whats your modem/router model that is in front of the XR500? The graph view is a little weird but looks like you have a base ping of 40ms. That means before you play a game you have a ping of 40 so at an estimate probably 60ms in a game is your best bet unless you live right on top of a server. Then in both graphs you have a massive spike which could indicate an issue on your line as well. 

Yes iMac & Safari is fine to use.

• Administrators

Yeah those settings are fine. The modem you have uses the puma 6 chipset which within the last year or so was discovered to cause higher pings and latency. I would recommend switching it out if you have another spare or speaking to your ISP and asking for another as it is most likely the root cause of the issue.

Yeah those settings are fine. The modem you have uses the puma 6 chipset which within the last year or so was discovered to cause higher pings and latency. I would recommend switching it out if you have another spare or speaking to your ISP and asking for another as it is most likely the root cause of the issue.

that was my initial fear .. I know ive been using that modem for a few years now.. is there a modem brand/model you would recommend looking into?

• Administrators

that was my initial fear .. I know ive been using that modem for a few years now.. is there a modem brand/model you would recommend looking into?

None that I recommend particularly but some people have discussed modems here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/20681-best-gaming-modems

Hey Fraser. I have the Netgear CM600. Do you recommend this modem with the XR500? Thanks

I’ve had the xr500 for 2 weeks now, needs a serious update to fix bufferbloat. I get all A’s accoss the board, but have to keep adjusting sliders to after every match or even during to find an A. I run DSLreports and says same thing drops bufferbloat to B and C randomly especially late night at 10pm eastern. I still get A+ on everything else besides bufferbloat. I have settings set to 70 during day and buffer fine with 15 devices running. The geo filter doesn’t update on where the host is or location after several matches. This router is like the R1 with better WiFi and processor but have to do the same adjusting every time like R1 which is annoying.

I’ve had the xr500 for 2 weeks now, needs a serious update to fix bufferbloat. I get all A’s accoss the board, but have to keep adjusting sliders to after every match or even during to find an A. I run DSLreports and says same thing drops bufferbloat to B and C randomly especially late night at 10pm eastern. I still get A+ on everything else besides bufferbloat. I have settings set to 70 during day and buffer fine with 15 devices running. The geo filter doesn’t update on where the host is or location after several matches. This router is like the R1 with better WiFi and processor but have to do the same adjusting every time like R1 which is annoying.

On these tests what does it show for average/highest ping while under load? Getting a A/A+ for bufferbloat, has a lot to do with ping average, and highest ping while under load, while testing both download, and upload speed.

Also during peak usage hours in the area you live in. If you have internet via cable, that bandwidth is shared, and if the node you're connected to bandwidth usage is hitting over 50/60% of its total capacity. Ping, and overall latency will be affected. So keep this in mind, when running a test like this.

You could limit your connection to say 10% of your total bandwidth. However if customer A, B, and C on your node is using 50/75% of the total bandwidth on your node. Guess what? Your normal say 10-12ms ping, will jump to a possible 20-25ms average, with 100+ms spikes, and possibly even higher. If you're also raising that total shared bandwidth usage on the node.

• Administrators

What mode do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to? If it’s high priority traffic detected then it will only apply when you’re gaming?

What’s your total bandwidth speed? It’s possible your ISP is reducing it below your 70%, so you may want to try a lower %

Finally, what do you mean about the Geo-Filter not updating the server location? It’s very responsive so is it possible that you are on the same server for sequential games?

Bufferbloat is set to always, my speeds are 300 down, 20 up, but I get 325 down and 23 up. I set my connection speed to 295 and 19 and get and A during the day. Like I said I can’t just keep the settings there and have bufferbloat work. When I turn off bufferbloat I get A’s but they are not +. Geo filter will be set with lobby with friends at server pinging 35ms at dedicated server, then a game later it pings 80ms at the same server that didn’t move. Also had a 2 bar in WW2 in the lobby and didn’t even show him where he was playing from, but I knew him and he played from west coast. So GEO filter not showing everyone playing and not updating location. I have to flush cloud to get update and sometimes that doesn’t even work

• Netduma Staff

Do you have PPPoE?

Our enterprise level deep packet inspection analyses the first few packets of the DSL reports test. This can impact the result that the test gives, but does not mean that Anti-Bufferbloat isn't working. Bufferbloat (latency) only happens when your connection is saturated, and with Anti-Bufferbloat enabled that is never allowed to happen, therefore bufferbloat will not be an issue. The DSLreports test isn't a truly accurate test in depicting how Anti-Bufferbloat works.

If you want to test this in action, use PingPlotter and saturate your connection with Anti-Bufferbloat turned off. Run the same test with Anti-Bufferbloat turned on. You will see a dramatic difference in your results.

In terms of your 35ms game ping, that will be the best connection you can possibly get based on your speedtest ping. Given that the game is only adding 7ms ping you're literally getting the closest server you could possibly get. We'd usually expect that you get 10-20ms on top of your base ping. Before you do anything on the Internet you have at the very least 28-32ms to the last mile. A ping of below 40ms is brilliant for gaming.

The possible reason why you're getting a higher ping in the same location is because there are usually a cluster of servers in the same location. It could be the server itself  giving you bad gameplay, but the more likely reason is that it is incorrectly located. Please provide the ID of this server and we'll check it for you.

Also, for a game like CoD you won't always see all of the players connected since you often connect through Dedicated Servers.

If you're experiencing the issue where not everyone is appearing on the map and it's not related to being on a dedicated server, then I'd recommend upgrading to the hotfix version that I will send you in a private message. I hope this helps :)

• Administrators

been running this for about an hour.. every 10 mins a pretty high spike yuck

Yeah looks to be pretty consistent in it's issues, also some packet loss as well. Definitely looking like the modem issue.