xbox party chat

RILLA au

anyone else having trouble with xbox one party chat? takes a couple of goes to get it to work, and sometimes when someone new joins the party it can take 30 seconds or more before I can hear them. 

i use UPNP exclusively, reboot my xbox daily to announce the ports and have no triangles on the geo filter map, although this one ID i had previously added shows up when I position my home in the Indian ocean:

1b348853d1bab3b8 

I've not had any problems with party chat on xbox lately but I always manually port-forward the Netduma.

Is there a random server showing as blocked outside of your geo filter at boot up (or when you first setup/join a party)? That could be a chat server, I'm sure that happened to me before.

I've not had any problems with party chat on xbox lately but I always manually port-forward the Netduma.

Is there a random server showing as blocked outside of your geo filter at boot up (or when you first setup/join a party)? That could be a chat server, I'm sure that happened to me before.

No no yellow triangles or red crosses. I had previously added a server in New York. it is just very strange that party chat is very slow to get going

• 3 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff

Still having issues with party chat taking a long time to connect to some players. Port forwarding is not an option because i have 4 xbox ones on my LAN.

I have a feeling this will be caused by the amount of Xbox's you've got in your home, coupled with the fact that you can't manually port forward for all of them. Usually we'd recommend manually port forwarding which can fix the issue, but you would likely end up with closed / moderate NAT types on some of your consoles.

It's worth saying that we've come across cases before where other wireless devices near the headset or Xbox have caused interference, leading to similar party chat issues. Try moving any wireless devices away and see if this helps. (This is a rare cause, but a cause nonetheless!)

Other than that, do you have an open NAT on the console you're using?

Still having issues with party chat taking a long time to connect to some players. Port forwarding is not an option because i have 4 xbox ones on my LAN.

I have the same problems with party chat sometime too, I also have 4 Xbox ones on my network, all with open NAT. I have also tested on another router and had the same problem. It’s fairly sporadic, some days we have no problems other days we can’t get into a party for love nor money.

We have fairly low upload bandwidth so I’ve always just put it down to that.

Hi Jack, yes i do have open nat on all consoles using upnp. We don’t have many wireless devices but will try anything at this point

I have a feeling this will be caused by the amount of Xbox's you've got in your home, coupled with the fact that you can't manually port forward for all of them. Usually we'd recommend manually port forwarding which can fix the issue, but you would likely end up with closed / moderate NAT types on some of your consoles.

It's worth saying that we've come across cases before where other wireless devices near the headset or Xbox have caused interference, leading to similar party chat issues. Try moving any wireless devices away and see if this helps. (This is a rare cause, but a cause nonetheless!)

Other than that, do you have an open NAT on the console you're using?

• Netduma Staff

Hi Jack, yes i do have open nat on all consoles using upnp. We don’t have many wireless devices but will try anything at this point

If you disable the Geo-filter does this still occur? What about if you completely remove the Netduma from your setup?

I'm convinced this could be due to the amount of Xbox's and is an issue related to the console itself. Neither me or Fraser can't recall working on a headset problem related to PS4 party chat unless it's been a simple NAT issue. The fact that all your consoles have an open NAT seems to indicate something deeper. (Unless of course it turns out to be the Geo-filter).

If you disable the Geo-filter does this still occur? What about if you completely remove the Netduma from your setup?

I'm convinced this could be due to the amount of Xbox's and is an issue related to the console itself. Neither me or Fraser can't recall working on a headset problem related to PS4 party chat unless it's been a simple NAT issue. The fact that all your consoles have an open NAT seems to indicate something deeper. (Unless of course it turns out to be the Geo-filter).

This happens even with the Geo Filter off for me. It’s only actually started happening in the last 2 or 3 months, I’ve had the Duma since release and have never had these problems with party chat before so I think it’s a problem with Xbox. Either that it may be a line problem and I’ve had an ongoing battle with my ISP about it. They finally admitted there was a fault on my line yesterday, there’s an engineer here fixing it now so I’ll let you know if the party problems stop after its fixed.

• Netduma Staff

This happens even with the Geo Filter off for me. It’s only actually started happening in the last 2 or 3 months, I’ve had the Duma since release and have never had these problems with party chat before so I think it’s a problem with Xbox. Either that it may be a line problem and I’ve had an ongoing battle with my ISP about it. They finally admitted there was a fault on my line yesterday, there’s an engineer here fixing it now so I’ll let you know if the party problems stop after its fixed.

Alright interesting. Please let us know if the line fix sorts the issue out, though I'm in agreement - I reckon the Xbox has gone through some sort of change, whether in chat servers or otherwise. Was there an Xbox update recently?

Alright interesting. Please let us know if the line fix sorts the issue out, though I'm in agreement - I reckon the Xbox has gone through some sort of change, whether in chat servers or otherwise. Was there an Xbox update recently?

There’s been a few updates since the party problems started. I’m with you, I think it’s something Microsoft have done. I’ll let you know how the line fix goes.

even before i got my netduma, xbox party always took ages to load when new ppl joined. i see it often when i open a party and invite a friend which they accept and then they show as connecting for a while then it causes me to show as connecting then bam both connect ok. it can take over 30 seconds sometimes, it happens a lot with friends with not so good internet or on the otherside of the world the most for me.

it also happens with the Xbox app on windows 10 too when in a party..

open nat on all consoles using upnp. We don’t have many wireless devices but will try anything at this point

and is an issue related to the console itself. The fact that all your consoles have an open NAT seems to indicate something deeper. (Unless of course it turns out to be the Geo-filter).

This happens even with the Geo Filter off for me. It’s only actually started happening in the last 2 or 3 months, I’ve had the Duma since release and have never had these problems with party chat before so I think it’s a problem with Xbox.

even before i got my netduma, xbox party always took ages to load when new ppl joined. i see it often when i open a party and invite a friend which they accept and then they show as connecting for a while then it causes me to show as connecting then bam both connect ok. it can take over 30 seconds sometimes

Xbox party chat issues is one of my pet hates.

This could be related to your specific setup of course but for years before I had a Netduma there have been chat issues.

I think it reached a peak with BO3, who could hear who would change between lobbies and even during games sometimes, it was really bizarre.

It wasn't even that one person had a problem and was basically muted (which would indicate them having a NAT issue), it seemed to be completely random.

You could have it all working perfectly in the pre-game lobby and then in the actual match it would change;

Player 1 hearing 2/3/4, player 2 hearing 1/4, player 3 hearing 1/2 and player 4 hearing nobody while people could hear them shouting "where's everybody gone".

My suggestion was going to be the Geo Filter, I'm sure mine has been blocking a chat server before, but I think I can ruin that theory now anyway...

I play a lot of Battlefield now, most of us have a Netduma, and every so often you see the message that someone has left the party and then they rejoin within about 30 seconds. But we all play BF with the Geo Filter completely disabled (because of the server setup) and as far as I know we all have an open NAT too.

I'm running the latest 'standard' Xbox operating system (I'm not in their testing programme) and other than the random and brief dropouts and rejoins, I haven't had a major problem with chat for quite a while that I can remember, at least not since the latest update to the dash.

*There were a lot of party problems in IW though, especially if someone dashboarded the game. Often everyone would have to go all the way back to the first screen to get the game party (not chat party) back together in a lobby. Sometimes everyone had to dashboard the game and reload.

None of which helps you get any nearer a solution though, sorry.

Xbox party chat issues is one of my pet hates.

This could be related to your specific setup of course but for years before I had a Netduma there have been chat issues.

I think it reached a peak with BO3, who could hear who would change between lobbies and even during games sometimes, it was really bizarre.

It wasn't even that one person had a problem and was basically muted (which would indicate them having a NAT issue), it seemed to be completely random.

You could have it all working perfectly in the pre-game lobby and then in the actual match it would change;

Player 1 hearing 2/3/4, player 2 hearing 1/4, player 3 hearing 1/2 and player 4 hearing nobody while people could hear them shouting "where's everybody gone".

My suggestion was going to be the Geo Filter, I'm sure mine has been blocking a chat server before, but I think I can ruin that theory now anyway...

I play a lot of Battlefield now, most of us have a Netduma, and every so often you see the message that someone has left the party and then they rejoin within about 30 seconds. But we all play BF with the Geo Filter completely disabled (because of the server setup) and as far as I know we all have an open NAT too.

I'm running the latest 'standard' Xbox operating system (I'm not in their testing programme) and other than the random and brief dropouts and rejoins, I haven't had a major problem with chat for quite a while that I can remember, at least not since the latest update to the dash.

*There were a lot of party problems in IW though, especially if someone dashboarded the game. Often everyone would have to go all the way back to the first screen to get the game party (not chat party) back together in a lobby. Sometimes everyone had to dashboard the game and reload.

None of which helps you get any nearer a solution though, sorry.

I'm playing destiny 2 right now, so i've got the geofilter disabled, same problem. 

Alright interesting. Please let us know if the line fix sorts the issue out

Line fix hasn’t sorted the party issues - defiantly something on Microsoft’s end it would seem. They tweeted about more party fixes the other day for Alpha preview members. So maybe we’ll see a difference once the Xbox update comes out for everybody.

• 3 weeks later...

hello i have a same problem in mode solo mulitplayers , all games function extra but in party chat with friends i have a lag and the is unplayable , on ps4 

little config specially i'm use the lede router and netduma for the bufferbloat , congestion in router led 70% and netduma 100 % is correct ? 

bonjour j'ai le meme probleme sur ps4 en solo le jeu est excellent mais en party avec des amis le jeu lag beaucoup 

petite precision j'utilise routeur tp link lede et netduma et dans le lede la bande passante est e 70 % environ donc j'ai laisser 100% congestion control dans netduma ... c'est correct ? merci 

• Administrators

I think it's been said that for some reason playing in a party causes more lag even without the Netduma. Make sure you have them all added to your allow list though and everyone has an open NAT. If you're using the Geo-filter to get a game for the lobby force a game in a location between you all. 

If you're using another router for congestion control I can't advise on that, I don't know how it would work. As an upstream router is handling it then 100% for duma QoS would be correct.

Je pense qu'il a été dit que pour une raison quelconque, jouer dans une fête cause plus de décalage même sans Netduma. Assurez-vous de les avoir tous ajoutés à votre liste d'autorisation et tout le monde a un NAT ouvert. Si vous utilisez le Geo-filtre pour obtenir un jeu pour le lobby force un jeu dans un endroit entre vous tous.

Si vous utilisez un autre routeur pour le contrôle de la congestion, je ne peux pas vous le dire, je ne sais pas comment cela fonctionnerait. Comme un routeur en amont le gère, alors 100% pour la QoS de Duma serait correct.