2 Routers good Idea?

Fazor

Hey Guys, so my brother upgraded his router and gave me his NightHawk ac3200 if I'd want to use it...which looks like a pretty good router. 

Was wondering if there would be a way to use this router with the Netduma?  Or if there would be a benefit even? 

It does seem like my speeds are low with the Netduma over Wifi...I've called TWC(spectrum) and of course they suspect it's my Duma. 

But anyway, is there an easy way for me to use the NightHawk primarily...and then when I want to play Xbox, somehow switch the Netduma on just for the wired in Xbox? 

Thanks. 

I use my secondary router as an wifi router for everyone else in the house to use. and if you want you normal speeds on the duma, put it on "reactive" in the "congestion control" tab. and go to settings and tick on turbo mode in the "Miscellaneous" tab, Then un tick "Deep Packet Processing".

Hey Guys, so my brother upgraded his router and gave me his NightHawk ac3200 if I'd want to use it...which looks like a pretty good router. 

Was wondering if there would be a way to use this router with the Netduma?  Or if there would be a benefit even? 

It does seem like my speeds are low with the Netduma over Wifi...I've called TWC(spectrum) and of course they suspect it's my Duma. 

But anyway, is there an easy way for me to use the NightHawk primarily...and then when I want to play Xbox, somehow switch the Netduma on just for the wired in Xbox? 

Thanks. 

Lots of people use 2 routers in their home network (myself included) but the best set up IMO would be wall>modem>duma>Nighthawk in AP mode and everything hardwired connected to the duma everything wireless thru Nighthawk.In my set up I disabled the wifi on the duma (which will cover the house also) put the Netgear in AP mode with the 2.4 and 5 g enabled, so you get the best of both worlds.You can take advantage of all the features of the duma and still have 5 g speeds to cover the rest of your house.With the CC on the duma you shouldn't have to worry about having any local congestion on your network when others are using the internet.

I also have Spectrum/Charter,so does loony and this set up works really well for me in a 3600 sq ft house not including the basement and it gets a very strong wifi signal everywhere, all 3 floors including the basement.

My suggestion isn't exactly what your looking for but most find it works really well for their situation.I use to have a dedicated gaming line which sounds more like what your talking about and I'm not gonna lie it was really smooth...DSL flat line,zero jitter and only my PS4 and laptop on it but with that comes the extra cost of another ISP.If you have the means give that a try but a properly set up home network, with the duma and your Nighthawk in AP mode is also a nice set up without paying for 2 ISP's.

But that's how I told you to set it up after you asked me fuzzy haha. So what did you do?

I set it up as I posted above...wall>modem>duma (wifi off)>Netgear in AP mode (wifi on) and everything hardwired connected to the duma and wifi stuff is all thru the Netgear for wifi 2.4 and 5 g.

Probably should have added to post that anything hardwired was thru the duma and everything wireless is thru the Netgear,which I did so as not to confuse anyone, mostly myself... :huh:

That's correct then fuzzy, panic over mate :)

LMAO it just looks different than my set up when Fraser posted his suggestion and I would definitely follow Fraser's over mine but I guess it's the same set up,I just left off the hardwired items to the duma...PS4,laptop etc.

But fixed the post so there's no confusion

Just out of curiosity as I wait for my ethernet cables to arrive, a couple questions...

Would I just simply plug an ethernet cable from one spot on the duma to one spot on the nighthawk?  does it matter what port i use on either of them? 

What would happen if you went modem - nighthawk - then duma routers in that order?..with still the duma wired and nighthawk in AP mode. 

Thanks

Just out of curiosity as I wait for my ethernet cables to arrive, a couple questions...

Would I just simply plug an ethernet cable from one spot on the duma to one spot on the nighthawk?  does it matter what port i use on either of them? 

What would happen if you went modem - nighthawk - then duma routers in that order?..with still the duma wired and nighthawk in AP mode. 

Thanks

I would stick with the other set up so you get the best from both routers and the features you're looking for.

Well guys, I got the cables and have everything hooked up with the Nighthawk in AP mode.  Seems to be working, and the wireless speeds are faster, so that's all good. 

Just wondering if there are any settings I should change now with the Netduma or with the Nighthawk?... for instance...since I disabled the wireless on the Netduma, should I enable IPV6 or change any WAN or LAN or anything on the Duma?

And are there any settings on Nighthawk (if you're familiar) that I should change from the default ones...since those are what I am using.  Sorry, I'm not too advanced with this stuff. 

Thanks!