Bufferbloat

Just wanted to share my recent tweak to my Netduma, discovered via a Simjc74 YouTube video. I think this helped with my connection more than anything else and wanted to share. The video is linked below and he starts explaining what I did at around 7:30 into the video. The only thing I did differently is I used the built in web browser on the PS4 itself to do the speed test using dslreports.com. This way I am getting the most accurate bufferbloat results to my actual gameplay, instead of testing on an iPad or laptop. What ended up giving me the best results was congestion control set to reactive and both sliders at 55 percent. It is worth a watch. https://youtu.be/p41FUBTNRHM

If you need to achieve consistent buffer bloat reports you need to ensure you have a ethernet cable plugged into your laptop, pc, playstation, etc

You will not get consistent results using a wifi connection.

Yes that is good advice and I do the same.  I think duma should put that recommendation in their wiki to use MS edge via xbox to run tests and to optimize your settings.

• Netduma Staff

Some good advice here; that video is pretty informative. Always do your speed tests wired in, and we might write up some guides like this in the future.

• Administrators

What would be the difference between reactive or preemptive?

Reactive is required for speeds above 60mbps. If you have less than this then you could experiment to find which algorithm works best for you.

What happens to Preemptive when Deep Packet Processing (Inspection) is disabled.

Does it break down completely?

Does it keep working but certain functionality is lost? If so, is that functionality related only to detecting game packets of PC games (and possibly packets of VoIP software)?

Bottom line: Can console players that want to use Preemptive disable Deep Packet Processing without side effects?

Bottom line: Can console players that want to use Preemptive disable Deep Packet Processing without side effects?

I use pre-emptive and I disable 'deep packet', no side effects.

• Administrators

What happens to Preemptive when Deep Packet Processing (Inspection) is disabled.

Does it break down completely?

Does it keep working but certain functionality is lost? If so, is that functionality related only to detecting game packets of PC games (and possibly packets of VoIP software)?

Deep packet is for VPN Hybrid & Host Analysis (PC games) so it's absolutely fine to have it disabled with Preemptive.

Anyone know just by changing pre emptive to reactive effects speeds so much? I see the same results where pre emptive decreases my speeds 10 to 15 meg and i pay for 50meg dl. UL is not affected.

Anyone know just by changing pre emptive to reactive effects speeds so much?

I don't know why it reserves 20% of total download speed even when you don't want to throttle your speed....

Set your download speed to like 70 with Preemptive and you'll get an accurate congestion control slider... 100% will be 50, 90% will be 40Mbit/s etc.

• Netduma Staff

Anyone know just by changing pre emptive to reactive effects speeds so much? I see the same results where pre emptive decreases my speeds 10 to 15 meg and i pay for 50meg dl. UL is not affected.

Those algorithms are specifically made to handle higher and lower speeds, so changing them will definitely affect your speed. Pre-emptive is recommended for speeds lower than 50mbps, and reactive covers the rest. It's basically a simple button which carries a lot of complex coding, so sometimes the effects can vary depending on the other settings and your set-up.

If you're losing that much speed with pre-emptive, stick with reactive.

Pre emptive is a much more conservative algorithm,and reactive is for higher speeds above 60 mbps.

Think of it as pre emptive being quality and reactive being quantity.At least that's the way I look at it but yes I also have drops in speed if I use pre emptive over reactive.

If you have 50Mbit/s download Preemptive algorithm should reserve 2% not 20%.  In trying to make "one button fits all" it is too aggressive with higher speeds. Easy to remedy, set your download speed in Netduma to 70Mbit/s and Congestion Control will become accurate. 

If you have 50Mbit/s download Preemptive algorithm should reserve 2% not 20%. In trying to make "one button fits all" it is too aggressive with higher speeds. Easy to remedy, set your download speed in Netduma to 70Mbit/s and Congestion Control will become accurate.

Yeah i tried this today, and only got to 44 meg. However i also got my full speeds a couple of times with it set at 50M. Odd....... As that has never happened b4 and all i did was move the sliders. I'm curious what exactly how the preemptive alg works since it screws so much with bandwidth. Getting your full bandwidth even under 50M appears to be a challenge but buffer bloat is so much better with pre emptive than reactive.

Are these results done with device prioritisation reset?

Yes each time. However since Sunday, I'm able to get within a couple meg of my full speeds now. Not sure what change but definitely odd.... Nothing makes sense as i never changed any settings on the R1. Since I've had this decreased bandwidth issues for a couple of months. I have a theory but it really does not make any sense.

Anyway I notice now if i just change my DL slider by 1% to 99%, i speeds drop a good 15 meg??.

• Administrators

It's hard to say if that's the Duma or the instability of speed test servers. They can fluctuate quite a lot. For example, in a 1 on 1 the other day we did speed tests and got 100mbps differences between different servers changing no settings between tests.

It's hard to say if that's the Duma or the instability of speed test servers. They can fluctuate quite a lot. For example, in a 1 on 1 the other day we did speed tests and got 100mbps differences between different servers changing no settings between tests.

Okay my speeds have been consistent since Sunday.  With the slider set to 100%, I get 45-48 Meg, I pay for 50 Meg.  However if I still change the slider by 1% to 99%,  My speeds drop to 33meg.  This happens every time and is repeatable on back to back tests.  Any Ideas why I would lose that much bandwidth just by changing the the slider by 1%

Archived