Party Members Lagging

I play COD infinite warfare with 1 or 2 buddies daily.

The Duma has been a Godsend.

When I restrict bandwidth I can eliminate myself from begin "lag comped"

Apparently when I restrict hard, it makes the other players in my party get lag comped?

We've tested this over and over and the effect is always negative on the non-bandwidth restricted party member.

I setup my buddy with a TP LINK and restricted his bandwidth (He has ordered the Duma and should have it in another day or 2)

NOW, with his connection restricted, now matter how hard I limit my bandwidth I cannot seem to get good games when we are playing together.

Here's my question..

2-3 person party settings where 2 people have Net Duma,  

question 1 - What are the ideal Net Duma settings for this scenario? 

question 2 - extreme bandwidth restriction seems to have the most positive and immediate effect when being lag comped "in-game"  I start getting lag-comped and I start sliding the sliders down in between each death.  Is this the best use of the DUMA?

any help would be much appreciated

Apparently when I restrict hard, it makes the other players in my party get lag comped?

We've tested this over and over and the effect is always negative on the non-bandwidth restricted party member.

I setup my buddy with a TP LINK and restricted his bandwidth (He has ordered the Duma and should have it in another day or 2)

NOW, with his connection restricted, now matter how hard I limit my bandwidth I cannot seem to get good games when we are playing together.

Here's my question..

question 2 - extreme bandwidth restriction seems to have the most positive and immediate effect when being lag comped "in-game"  I start getting lag-comped and I start sliding the sliders down in between each death.  Is this the best use of the DUMA?

1: If 2 or more duma owners are playing together then only the person who is host should have the Geo-Filter enabled.

2: Only thing I can recommend is keep trying the sliders. different people have them at different percentages to suit their bandwidth. 

• Netduma Staff

Here's my question..

Hey, welcome to the forum! The best settings to use in a party are simply your ordinary settings, with you always playing as the host and your friends added to the allow list. The Netduma can never improve other peoples connections; so if you're in a party, your connection will depend on where your party members are located. If they're close by, you shouldn't have many adverse effects; but it'll always be a lesser connection to just playing on your own due to the nature of game parties.

That's not to say you won't get a better connection with the Netduma anyway, though. You'd be worse off without it; though you'll still notice a difference between playing alone and playing with friends.

How much are you throttling your internet?  If it is too much all your doing is making it worse for other gamers.  The throttling idea was so you would not get host.

Just leave it at 70% or until you get an A rating with buffer bloat.

I think online gaming needs to check everyone's bandwidth and if its too low you get kicked.  Sorry man but people who throttle their internet speeds to the extreme is a pet peeve of mine.

The bandwidth throttling came out of necessity for being lag comped all the time in infinite warfare.

Losing BS gun fights etc.

I normally start game sessions around 70% both sliders (not shared)

As I see I am begin lag comped, i start to bump them down until the lag comp goes away.

Unfortunately this often means approx. 1.5 MB down and 300 k UP!!

The unfortunate side effect is that your party members start to feel lag comped BAD at low levels.

I just want to play fair games.  Its why I bought the DUMA in the first place.

I just want to play fair games.

1. No that's not correct, it just stops you being the host (in games where it's still P2P).

Anything else is just a placebo.

2. You've probably throttled beyond the point that is considered 'enough' bandwidth.

Assuming you're in 'party chat' which uses more bandwidth than 'game chat', you've pushed it to the point that's it's messing it up.

3. If you want to play 'fair' games then stop trying to throttle your connection for an unfair advantage.

Or did you mean 'fair' but only if it benefits you?

Here's my question..

If more than one person in your party has a netduma, just have whoever is hosting use theirs and the other persons turned off.

That way nobody drops out the match and there are no party invite issues.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I don't have much more to add than what has been said already. I do feel throttling is a placebo effect but at the end of the day it is about finding the settings that work best for you. As Colonic said, you have probably throttled past what party chat requires.

The bandwidth throttling came out of necessity for being lag comped all the time in infinite warfare.

Losing BS gun fights etc.

I normally start game sessions around 70% both sliders (not shared)

As I see I am begin lag comped, i start to bump them down until the lag comp goes away.

Unfortunately this often means approx. 1.5 MB down and 300 k UP!!

The unfortunate side effect is that your party members start to feel lag comped BAD at low levels.

I just want to play fair games.  Its why I bought the DUMA in the first place.

Everyone is being lag comped, like I mentioned before the whole throttle your internet came about a when Black ops 3 or MW3 released time frame. I forget exactly when but it was for you not to get host. Basically by throttling your internet to that extreme is that you are making your internet crap.  Your latency will spike like crazy and pings will be inconsistent.  Which defeats the whole purpose of making it a fair playing field (lag comp) for everyone.

Ironic thing is even with technology getting better (lower latency, fiber), COD lag issues seems to get worse and there is a good chance the majority of gamers are doing the exact same thing you are doing and screwing it all up thinking lag comp is evil but in the end the users are all screwing it up.

It is almost as bad as lag switching IMHO.

Run ping plotter, DSL reports buffer bloat and line quality test with your internet set up properly and then run those same tests with your extreme throttled bandwidth settings and compare the results.  Your pings will be all jacked and that is screwing up lag comp.  Believe me I have been there, thinking I lose every gun fight cuz of lag because my shots were on and his were not.  Sometimes it was because of lag comp but there are those games where lag comp was on my side and I would tear it up.  I think in the end it balanced itself out.  

My son for example plays a ton of Destiny and rarely complains of lag but when I play I think I am lagging a lot. In reality the only difference is, he is good and I just suck, lol.

I have definitely noticed that when you lower the download slider down to like 10% which for me is 1.5mbit download the change in lag compensation is definitely real. I was playing these kids on ghosts and they kept melting me with bs kills even when I shot first. I slid the slider down to 10% and instantly noticed a difference in connection. I was messing them up and they were getting so pissed off after being in the lead. I have tested this multiple times and it is not a placebo to go from being instantly killed to them not even getting a chance to react to you almost as if you actually had host instead. Now bear in mind I have over a 3kd without even doing this, but it has made those annoying and unbearable games better when I know I'm being screwed over. Infinite warfare seems to behave Simarly. I'm not sure if this is due to the way the games lag compensation algorithm is designed, but I know it does not actually add any latency. I've even tested it with ping running to the host on the netduma and it was unchanged. Some games just implement lag compensation based on two things bandwidth and ping. My only other thought is that congestion control doesn't actually work and when you lower such speeds it feels as if it "kicks in". I will say however that the netduma has flaky upnp/port forwarding sometimes. I'll have to end up resetting all the ports and I then notice the connection is smoother again. All in all I know that the netduma does tend to provide a better quality experience and I'm really hoping that the 2.0 version will blow us away.really can't wait!

People in the end are gonna do what they want,with that being said there is no need to throttle your bandwidth,change your MTU,stream Netflix while you game  etc to beat lag comp.In most cases those guys melting you IMO are...better players, have better internet thru a properly set up home network etc.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of WTF moments during online gaming but again your connecting to people from all across the country with different networks and different things going on with 11 other connections.But like boom said your really choking your connection to benefit you,while your killing your party's connections which in turn ruins their gameplay.

I understand everyone's network is different and some believe that "throttling" does help them do better in game,I think we've all tried every "trick" in the book to see if they work or not but most don't, at least in my experience.

But as I said in the beginning of my post...people are gonna do what they want.

I have definitely noticed that when you lower the download slider down to like 10% which for me is 1.5mbit download the change in lag compensation is definitely real.

It won't work for the vast majority of people.

Especially those that apply a little logic to whether it should work.

If it worked, it would work for everyone and it would work all the time.

And I use 'work' loosely, if we cancelled out the compensation then we would all struggle to hit anyone and hit-boxes wouldn't be on the characters, they be way off.

Of course, anyone can try it, most of us have done several times over the years.

A few people are still certain that it makes it 'better' but it's probably less effective than wearing 'lucky' pants.

It won't work for the vast majority of people.

Especially those that apply a little logic to whether it should work.

If it worked, it would work for everyone and it would work all the time.

And I use 'work' loosely, if we cancelled out the compensation then we would all struggle to hit anyone and hit-boxes wouldn't be on the characters, they be way off.

Of course, anyone can try it, most of us have done several times over the years.

A few people are still certain that it makes it 'better' but it's probably less effective than wearing 'lucky' pants.

Well said Boom and I know I've tried everything from choking my speeds to with in an inch of it's life, and it seemed to work for about 3-4 matches but then the lobby had new people enter it and it was back to many WTF moments.

Also tried the famous "lower your MTU settings" cuz that works for everyone, to me it was the same story seemed to work for a few games and then the lobby changed and back to square one.And before the Duma back in MW3 and I'm actually ashamed to admit this now but I tried playing thru my phone to kill the dreaded "lag comp monster" also actually connected to the WIFI hotspot from the Panera up the street, which was barley enough to keep me online during gameplay.And my personnel favorite had netflix streaming on 7 different devices while gaming cuz I was told "if you throttle your connection when the game is running you'll be on the good side of lag comp" and yes I seriously did this.Until Mrs Fuzzy came home one day and ask me WTF is going ones that ended that experiment really quick but none seemed to work for any more than 3-4 games or until the lobby members changed along with the connections.

I have found that most of the crap you see on YT are not based on actual research,with real world results and stats to back up the claims.Just like all the crap I tried, there are some things that you can take from some vids that may help given each set up is different but for the most part I would still go with the 70/70 and tweak from their to find your sweet spot.

And yes when I tried all these "fixes for lag comp" I was wearing my "lucky pants" to no avail... :o

All I really needed to do to have the best way to help with lap comp was to purchase a Netduma and make sure my own network was as optimal as I could make it as that works better than any placebo fix I've found... ;)

I'm actually ashamed to admit this now but I tried playing thru my phone to kill the dreaded "lag comp monster" also actually connected to the WIFI hotspot from the Panera up the street, which was barley enough to keep me online during gameplay.And my personnel favorite had netflix streaming on 7 different devices while gaming cuz I was told "if you throttle your connection when the game is running you'll be on the good side of lag comp"

And yes when I tried all these "fixes for lag comp" I was wearing my "lucky pants" to no avail... :o

You dirty dirty boy Fuzzy!  ;)

I will admit, and I'm NOT ashamed to say it, that I used to run youtube in the MW3 lobby so that the game wouldn't pick me as host.

I couldn't do anything when I was host (and I often was) and it seemed fine if I wasn't host.

That's where all this lag comp throttling stuff came from I think. I'm sure people were doing it way before MW3 but the being the host in MW3 gave me so much trouble that it's when I starting trying more stuff.

On dedicated servers now it's obviously irrelevant.

Archived