Slow Download on Xbox One

So this has been an issue of mine for a while now and I'm starting to exhaust all possible options. 

I have even spoken to an Xbox technician who deals with the download speed side of things over at Xbox and still I don't seem to be making progress. 

Basically my internet download is roughly 240Mbps, yet 90% of the time I only get 60Mbps when updating something on the Xbox. 

Sometimes it goes up >100Mbps, but not often. Think the highest I've seen is 193Mbps but it also drops, sometimes lower than 5Mbps!

He had my run tracert to see if I had any issues but apparently everything looked fine. The only thing he mentioned was that while downloading at a solid speed I was connecting to more mainstream servers while the slower speed was some random location that I guess isn't used much. 

I was only using IPv4 recently and then last night tried IPv6 which I enabled on LAN and WAN. Suddenly, my download completely stopped before shooting up to 269Mbps, the highest I have ever seen it. It then came down to around 135Mbps and then rested around 80Mbps. Even then, the download rate would fluctuate so much, from 40Mbps to 90Mbps to 145Mbps and back down. I'm not sure what is causing this issue or how I could get a steadier speed. 

I've run speed tests multiple times via the xbox browser and consistently get 200+ speeds. 

Any thoughts? :/

Your lucky then mine is maxed out to 20Mbps, but sometimes it drops to about 2Mbps, what i usually do is increase the download cap to max when your not gaming. Also, another thing you can do is prioritise your device for downloading/updating things. For consoles 50% prioritisation will do and PC's i ususally do around 40%.

PM me if you need any more help :)

How do you have your bandwidth set up in the netduma gui, manually or is it set to auto?  I am seeing some funky speed test results when set to auto, basically the speed test will start off with some crazy UL and DL speed and then quickly drop back down to normal speeds.  Then when I set my speeds manually in the gui I lose 15-20 meg DL bandwidth.  I am still running tests to see what the cause is.

I never got max throughput from xbox live downloads, it will burst then slowdown.

On high traffic days on XBL it can be as low as a few mb when their servers are maxing out.

xbox live uses cdns like limelight networks (llnw). if it mislocates you via your dns lookups/geoip it'll probably be worse speeds than usual.

the old download setup was resolve, connect, download. if that was slow, you could stop/pause/resume the download and it would resolve, connect (possibly to a different server), download.

current/new download setup is resolve, connect, download, check for better download server/location, switch/resume/continue etc.

last time i looked there was 4 http download threads running, usually connected to one resolved address, but now it may be 1-4 connected to one hostname:80 and 1-4 connected to another hostname:80 depending on if the download manager decided there was a faster download for you on another server/host (but it has to download a part to find out if it is faster/slower)

I could have sworn that with the latest update Xbox improved their download/speeds for people over 100mbps. But honestly speeds are never consistent from their servers for me.

In my experience the download rate won't ever be stable it will fluctuate but does sound like its fluctuating a huge amount. Do you experience the same when connecting direct to your ISP hub?

Haven't tried it yet, that is next on my list. I noticed my modem had a lot of error logs and since power resetting it it seems to be more stable. I also changed out some of the cables and the download after that was stable at 170Mbps. Whether that is a coincidence or not I'll have to see, if it's still a problem then a direct hookup was my next test.

Archived