Multiple console NAT issues on PS4

I continue to have problems getting open NAT on multiple consoles. I've been having problems since BO3, same issues now in MW Remastered. It works fine with another router.

UPnP is on. Whichever system happens to get 3074/UDP gets Open NAT the other console gets shafted. Beyond annoyed.

EDIT: Apologies for the multiple posts, they weren't showing up and then all of a sudden they all showed up.

If one console is using 3074 the other one should request 3075, in which case port forward and you should be good to go. 

Can't see your picture by the way.

What happens is the first console (.12) gets 3074/UDP and Open NAT. The second console requests a random port (it got 3162/UDP AND 3104/UDP, both with internal ports of 3074) 

Have you guys done testing for multiple consoles behind the Netduma with MW Remastered and IW? It never worked for BO3, even though it worked fine with my custom Linux router. I'm working on rebuilding that system so I can do some more thorough testing.

CoD has been finicky with its UPnP support over the years. I had to build a custom UPnP daemon with some extra debugging added to submit to IW to show them that UPnP wasn't working in CoD Ghosts. Without much insight into what the Netduma is doing I can't tell where the breakdown is. 

Let's see if this works, not sure why it's not showing the image I linked to. The URL is below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydtwdw5lqd4v2pg/upnp.png?dl=0

Also, it would be great to have a "flush UPnP" button to have the Netduma reload its forwarding rules and restart its UPnP service or whatever your UPnP/firewall implementation requires to give it a clean slate. The other issue is that to get the Open NAT swapped to a different console you have to reboot the Netduma, or at least that's the only method I've found.

• Administrators

It definitely is hard to get multiple consoles open, even considering the network settings on the consoles both say open. I don't think they request the ports properly. Given they've both requested ports though and UPnP has opened them it should be fine. I have requested UPnP additions such as this to hopefully improve it. You should just be able to hard turn off the consoles then power the one for open on first. If that doesn't work, disable & apply UPnP then enable and apply. I don't believe the moderate reading will be entirely accurate but understand the frustration. 

It definitely is hard to get multiple consoles open, even considering the network settings on the consoles both say open. I don't think they request the ports properly. Given they've both requested ports though and UPnP has opened them it should be fine. I have requested UPnP additions such as this to hopefully improve it. You should just be able to hard turn off the consoles then power the one for open on first. If that doesn't work, disable & apply UPnP then enable and apply. I don't believe the moderate reading will be entirely accurate but understand the frustration. 

It's entirely accurate. The console that is Moderate is unplayably laggy. Any gunfight that you don't have the drop on them, you lose by default. But then playing while Open feels normal. 

It definitely is hard to get multiple consoles open, even considering the network settings on the consoles both say open. I don't think they request the ports properly. Given they've both requested ports though and UPnP has opened them it should be fine.

Have you guys done testing? Is there a method for getting it to work? As Call of Duty players are probably the largest part of you guys' customer base, it would go a long way for you guys to help us find a workaround and/or help us work with Infinity Ward and Activision to get this working properly. 

If you read this it should explain it a bit further http://forum.netduma.com/topic/8866-black-ops-3-nat/?p=65325

If you read it you'll see me in there explaining it to people. :-)

I know how it SHOULD work. I'm a systems engineer, and I deal with networking extensively. And I've been through it with Activision support about this issue, who pointed me to the article on how to get Open NAT with multiple consoles, and it doesn't work.

With UPnP only enabled and no static port forwards, the first console gets Open NAT when it requests 3074/UDP. The second console opens TWO random external ports, both pointing to 3074/UDP internally, and the game says Moderate and FEELS Moderate. It's definitely not just a display bug where the game is actually Open but displays as Moderate. 

Since I don't have that level of access to the Netduma, I was hoping you guys could try testing it and see what exactly is happening during the UPnP exchange. Before I bought the Netduma, like the 2nd week it was available, I was using a custom Linux firewall. When CoD Ghosts had the same issue I made some modifications to the UPnP daemon code to add some extra logging, which helped me find proof that Ghosts was doing something wrong with the UPnP calls and they eventually fixed the issue.

Posted · Hidden by Netduma Jack, November 14, 2016 - This is a reply to a deleted post.
Hidden by Netduma Jack, November 14, 2016 - This is a reply to a deleted post.

I'm a problem solver not a teacher so if this came out all jumbled I apologize.

It's funny how you're trying to act humble and decent now everyone knows what you're about...

Posted · Hidden by Netduma Jack, November 14, 2016 - This is a reply to a deleted post.

Pmsl, hahaha THAT is the funniest thing I have ever read on a forum ever. Class. Lol. Even my dog is laughing.

An impressive list of accomplishments, especially the soccer coaching.

Strange that everyone in life looks up to you but in prison you looked up to everyone (to check if they were almost finished).

And in here we don't even look down on you, we just feel slight pangs of pity like when you see a 'special' child walk into a lamppost.

I had a feeling you'd done a fair bit of 'prison wrestling' in your time, probably explains why you're so uncomfortable in your own skin.

All of those burly men have gotten right up in there and knocked the hinges off your backdoor.

How come you're not pretending to be Anonymous today?

You should see my in box with the amount of personal replies I have about how much of an idiot you are.

Post them up then.

• Netduma Staff

I've cleaned up this thread since a troll hijacked it. This UPnP NAT issue is one that keeps resurfacing; I'm positive that our devs have looked into the issue. I'll bring the issue up again for you and try to get to the bottom of it, though I'm positive that we should have a better solution with DumaOS, which is specifically coded for infinitely easier bug fixing among the other improvements.

It's very annoying for the moment though, granted. We're going to be testing UPnP / Port Forwarding issues this week, so we'll try to find a solution and get back to you.

The most unrelated topic I've ever read on here, thought I was on the "Hello" magazine forum.
Isn't this about gaming, or routers or networking.
Just saying!

It did get a bit insane on this thread; the troll is gone now, so we can all get some peace and go back to solving problems :)

I've cleaned up this thread since a troll hijacked it. This UPnP NAT issue is one that keeps resurfacing; I'm positive that our devs have looked into the issue. I'll bring the issue up again for you and try to get to the bottom of it, though I'm positive that we should have a better solution with DumaOS, which is specifically coded for infinitely easier bug fixing among the other improvements.

It's very annoying for the moment though, granted. We're going to be testing UPnP / Port Forwarding issues this week, so we'll try to find a solution and get back to you.

Any word on when DumaOS will drop?

I got one helpful pointer from the CoD Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CODModernWarfare/comments/5cj7tr/open_nat_on_multiple_ps4s_behind_the_same_router/

This brings up 2 issues with the Netduma. The first problem is that what appears to work for CoD is manually forwarding 3075/UDP to 3074/UDP on the 2nd console. Netduma's port forwarding interface doesn't give an option for forwarding to a different internal port.

The other problem is that Netduma seems to not allow, or only partially handle UPnP extended security. I can make a UPnP request to delete a UPnP forward for one of my consoles, and it appears to be successful, but the record never gets deleted. An option to disable UPnP extended security would be a nice thing to have, maybe with a warning dialog to make sure that the user knows what they're about to do. :-)

• Administrators

No word yet. I have added many more options for UPnP to the list for DumaOS so we'll have more troubleshooting features. 

In the mean time can you try this please: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4h5e8k/how_to_run_2_or_more_xbox_ones_with_open_nat_on_1/

Archived