Netduma Vs Asus Vs Netgear

amantvoulu

Not sure if this is the ideal section to post this but couldn't really find a better place. I currently have a Netduma and was wondering what form of gains, if any, I could get from changing to either of these models;

- Asus RT-AC5300 Tri-band

- Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8

The cost is irrelevant if there could definitely be a gain. Any input would be appreciated.

Are you want to replace the Netduma or add them in conjunction with the Netduma?  If you are referring to replacing the Netduma, it will depend on a lot of factors such as:

Do you have a dedicated gaming internet?  Do you have others in the house using the internet while you game?  Do you use the geo filter?  Do they have anti-flood or hyper lanes?  

Are you want to replace the Netduma or add them in conjunction with the Netduma?  If you are referring to replacing the Netduma, it will depend on a lot of factors such as:

Do you have a dedicated gaming internet?  Do you have others in the house using the internet while you game?  Do you use the geo filter?  Do they have anti-flood or hyper lanes?  

There is only one internet setup in my house and it is simultaneously used for gaming/tv. There are only 2 users in our house so the sharing is minimal. I already have a separate modem that I need to use from my provider so if I bought either of the other two they would be replacements for the Netduma. I have the Geo-filter setup and never mess with it so I'm not sure if I'm "using" it.

There is only one internet setup in my house and it is simultaneously used for gaming/tv. There are only 2 users in our house so the sharing is minimal. I already have a separate modem that I need to use from my provider so if I bought either of the other two they would be replacements for the Netduma. I have the Geo-filter setup and never mess with it so I'm not sure if I'm "using" it.

What exactly are you trying to improve by replacing the netduma?

I have the following:

- Linksys (bought by belkin) WRT1900AC

- Netgear Nighthawk

- ASUS (older router)

anyways what i can tell you is this, netduma wins with its congestion control and host filtering capabilities.

In general QoS is a complex item and all the above listed try there best to simplify it, but in the end you get something that is complex to setup and harder to debug if broken.  If you want true QoS you will need to get into OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware on a router.  but then for QoS you will be dealing with setting up traffic shaping with either CODELQ, HFSC, CBQ, FAIRQ, or PRIQ.  I only use QoS to solve the bufferbloat issue that exists, i moved away from all the above and am using pfSense as my Gateway (primary router) then a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US for wireless and the netduma as my gaming router for host filtering mostly as I use it for getting my own instances in Destiny.

but with the netduma is too hard to party up all my friend said that the router is good but when you play by yourself

Add your friends to the allow list and it works. Or have them join your party/lobby and then enabled the geo-filter.

• Administrators

I would say WiFi speeds/range, other than that I wouldn't see much improvement over our router. Our software offers unique features not offered on other routers.

and i thinks one of the reason is because the incorrect location like all of them are market in the wront place. i love my R1 but only playing solo

Add your friends to the allow list and it works. Or have them join your party/lobby and then enabled the geo-filter.

This ^

I have the following:

- Linksys (bought by belkin) WRT1900AC

- Netgear Nighthawk

- ASUS (older router)

anyways what i can tell you is this, netduma wins with its congestion control and host filtering capabilities.

In general QoS is a complex item and all the above listed try there best to simplify it, but in the end you get something that is complex to setup and harder to debug if broken.  If you want true QoS you will need to get into OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware on a router.  but then for QoS you will be dealing with setting up traffic shaping with either CODELQ, HFSC, CBQ, FAIRQ, or PRIQ.  I only use QoS to solve the bufferbloat issue that exists, i moved away from all the above and am using pfSense as my Gateway (primary router) then a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US for wireless and the netduma as my gaming router for host filtering mostly as I use it for getting my own instances in Destiny.

I use a Tplink as modem...a tplink wr1043nd v3 with DD-WRT...Packet Scheduler..HTB...Queueing Discipline..FQ_CODEL...MAC Priority...my netduma...DMZ ..my netduma....TCP Congestion Control..Westwood...TCP Timeout...90ms....UDP Timeout...40ms. ;)

DD-WRT + Netduma = Beast  :)

I use a Tplink as modem...a tplink wr1043nd v3 with DD-WRT...Packet Scheduler..HTB...Queueing Discipline..FQ_CODEL...MAC Priority...my netduma...DMZ ..my netduma....TCP Congestion Control..Westwood...TCP Timeout...90ms....UDP Timeout...40ms. ;)

Exactly, Netduma is based of OpenWRT (similar but better to DD-WRT) and I agree, a base router with DD-WRT/OpenWRT or a pfSense box is best but at a minimum i'd buy a Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro to replace the wifi

Most likely wifi performance will be better with Asus as you get into dual bands and 5Ghz which I think the Netduma software no longer supports as its not shown in 1.03.06.

Other than that, Asus router has hardware acceleration to help reach those 1 Gbps speeds if your internet can handle it, Netduma maxes out at 450Mbps for me.

Cubic and Reno are better than Westwood (TCP).

Glad you have a solution in place, I used a dual router solution some time ago but moved away from that, what works for you will be best for you good sir, props to you! :) Some food for thought would be to consider Cubic over Westwood, perhaps even Reno over Cubic for TCP CC.

Your post sparked some interest because I've never seen DD-WRT offer milliseconds for the TCP & UDP timeouts in IP Filter Settings, only seconds with 1-86400 being selectable, am I missing something?

I run latest build..DD-WRT v3.0-r30016 std (06/24/16)

In Administration tab....

Mv8dNTG.png

xkoABu8.png

I didn't get good results for bufferbloat with reno or vegas...

For my line here in Greece i must use a modem/router in bringe mode as modem...then DD-WRT to make the connection with PPPoE and then R1. :)

I try different set up...devices...only like this i take the results i want.

I am sorry i write it wrong.....TCP and UDP in seconds.... :(

DD-WRT + Netduma = Beast :)

TCP 90 and UDP 40?

I run latest build..DD-WRT v3.0-r30016 std (06/24/16)

In Administration tab....

Mv8dNTG.png

xkoABu8.png

I didn't get good results for bufferbloat with reno or vegas...

For my line here in Greece i must use a modem/router in bringe mode as modem...then DD-WRT to make the connection with PPPoE and then R1. :)

I try different set up...devices...only like this i take the results i want.

I am sorry i write it wrong.....TCP and UDP in seconds.... :(

Though I do not run this kind of setup anymore, if this runs great for you man then that's awesome. :)

I don't think BO3 can run any better for me than this:

http://twitter.com/a7legit/status/750995975641059329

Most likely wifi performance will be better with Asus as you get into dual bands and 5Ghz which I think the Netduma software no longer supports as its not shown in 1.03.06.

Other than that, Asus router has hardware acceleration to help reach those 1 Gbps speeds if your internet can handle it, Netduma maxes out at 450Mbps for me.

the netduma only has 2.4Ghz it was a bug that was showing the 5Ghz option at all, if you used it I think your wifi went out or it didn't do anything can't remember which.

Archived