BenQ 24" RL Series - Best BO3/PS4 Picture Settings

jDEMO

I put together a quick video showing the best picture settings I've personally found for playing Black Ops 3 on PS4 using a BenQ RL2460HT 24" gaming monitor. The same settings would also apply to the BenQ RL2455HM 24" gaming monitor as the picture quality and settings are just about identical between the two.

Hope this helps anyone that's looking to try some new settings.

Link to video:

https://youtu.be/CtsMsFUcyuw

I have the Benq RL2460HT.   I tried various settings from this forum and others.  For gaming it is tough to balance image quality versus optimized screen for gaming.  One of the great features of most Benq gaming monitors is the black equalizer which tries to enhance the darker areas to provide more details and visibility.  This makes it much easier to see the enemies hiding in dark areas.  The problem is the black equalizer is your picture quality suffers (i.e. too bright, less contrast).  

Here is an example of using black equalizer and picture quality.  Please keep in mind the quality of the video recording is not great.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6xPFjKa_M

I believe that the movie picture mode tries to achieve true blacks and great contrast which is often the mood of movie makers.  This contradicts the black equalizer.  Therefore, you won't get the best performance from the black equalizer which was not meant to be used in this mode.

If you game on darker maps/games, I recommend not using movie picture mode so that you can take full advantage of the black equalizer.

This is just my opinion but I set mine on RTS1 for picture mode as for me it looks the best for gaming given where I game and how much light is in the room.

But everyone will have a different opinion on what looks better to them and their gaming set up.

I have the Benq RL2460HT. I tried various settings from this forum and others. For gaming it is tough to balance image quality versus optimized screen for gaming. One of the great features of most Benq gaming monitors is the black equalizer which tries to enhance the darker areas to provide more details and visibility. This makes it much easier to see the enemies hiding in dark areas. The problem is the black equalizer is your picture quality suffers (i.e. too bright, less contrast).

Here is an example of using black equalizer and picture quality. Please keep in mind the quality of the video recording is not great.

I believe that the movie picture mode tries to achieve true blacks and great contrast which is often the mood of movie makers. This contradicts the black equalizer. Therefore, you won't get the best performance from the black equalizer which was not meant to be used in this mode.

If you game on darker maps/games, I recommend not using movie picture mode so that you can take full advantage of the black equalizer.

That's really great feedback! I definitely see what you mean and the BE is one of the main reasons why I chose a BenQ monitor over some others. I have personally tried countless picture mode/setting combinations for this monitor as well as another one from their RL series that I used to own (RL2755HM). I especially played a lot with their FPS & Standard modes and was *generally* happy with the overall picture with how I had it set but for whatever reason no matter where I set the BE setting for either mode I just couldn't seem to balance the brightness well enough when going above a BE setting of '5'. Eventually when I started messing with the movie mode recently it just seemed to give me that perfect balance of brightness, color saturation, and black/grey levels I was trying to achieve for playing BO3 on PS4.

I noticed in your video you're playing Counter Strike and on their XL series monitor not an RL like I have. I wonder if the BE helps more in your situation then it does mine but either way, you have peaked my curiosity enough that now I'm going to try some new things to see if I can achieve better results utilizing a higher BE setting.

This is just my opinion but I set mine on RTS1 for picture mode as for me it looks the best for gaming given where I game and how much light is in the room.

But everyone will have a different opinion on what looks better to them and their gaming set up.

I tried the RTS1 mode settings as well but it definitely did not give me the picture I was trying to achieve for BO3. Not sure if you use that mode for BO3 or not tho. You're right tho in that everyone has different picture preferences so it's hard to say that any one combo is really the "best" lol.

It is not my video.  I just found it on youtube to use as an example of the black equalizer.   For BO3 there are not too many dark areas or maps; therefore, it is not needed as much.  However, there are lots of other games with darker maps, scenes, etc. that would benefit more.

When I first got my monitor (RL2460HT) I was playing COD AW.  I definitely noticed the difference on certain maps.  For example, the BE definitely helped in the center area of Comback and some of the darker areas of Instinct.  It also helped in certain head gltiches for Riot.

The image quality is also affected by the video settings of the PS4 and Xbox.

Brightness: 100

Contrast: 50

Sharpness: 10

Black eQualizer: 20

Color Temperature: Red 100 Green 100 Blue 99

Reset Color: No

AMA: High

Instant Mode: On

Senseye Demo: Off

Dynamic Contrast: 0

Overscan: Off

Display Mode: Full

HDMI RGB PC Range: 0-255

PS4 - Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range: Full

Xbone - Settings > Display and sound > Color Space: PC (RGB Full)

Brightness: 100

Contrast: 50

Sharpness: 10

Black eQualizer: 20

Color Temperature: Red 100 Green 100 Blue 99

Reset Color: No

AMA: High

Instant Mode: On

Senseye Demo: Off

Dynamic Contrast: 0

Overscan: Off

Display Mode: Full

HDMI RGB PC Range: 0-255

PS4 - Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range: Full

Xbone - Settings > Display and sound > Color Space: PC (RGB Full)

What picture mode on the monitor are you using these settings on? Also what model BenQ do you have just out of curiosity?

What picture mode on the monitor are you using these settings on? Also what model BenQ do you have just out of curiosity?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter what picture mode because once you edit the settings it's custom... but I think I started out on standard. I have these saved to Gamer 1 and I've been using it since day one this way. I have the RL2460HT, as well as 4 of my friends and they all use these settings in amazement.

The important thing to remember is after you set this and save it to a custom profile, you have to go into the settings and apply that profile again.

The picture mode does actually matter. They're all calibrated a little differently behind the scenes. Basically if you adjust all picture settings to be exactly the same on each pic mode then there would still be a noticeable difference. But yeah was just curious which one you use those settings on because to me it sounds like the picture would be way too bright and noisy in any mode I've tried. Mainly because you have it at MAX for the brightness, black equalizer, and sharpness. The rest of the settings you listed are pretty common for the most part.

The picture mode does actually matter. They're all calibrated a little differently behind the scenes. Basically if you adjust all picture settings to be exactly the same on each pic mode then there would still be a noticeable difference. But yeah was just curious which one you use those settings on because to me it sounds like the picture would be way too bright and noisy in any mode I've tried. Mainly because you have it at MAX for the brightness, black equalizer, and sharpness. The rest of the settings you listed are pretty common for the most part.

Comes down to personal preference really... When you think about it I didn't buy the benq to look pretty I bought it for an advantage so if that means having ultra sharp jagged edges on my text but being able to see subtle differences on a map then so be it. I'm open to trying your settings though, seems like the biggest difference is the black equalizer really.

• 2 weeks later...

any recommend settings for benq RL2755HM?just been play on fps mode.

I use to own the same RL2755HM but recently sold it to a player on my gaming org's competitive COD team (Virtue eSports). Sorry shameless plug I know lol. I ended up getting a 24" one as mentioned in my OP but since both monitors are in the BenQ RL series you might actually achieve the same results if you try the settings mentioned in the video I posted. Unfortunately I hadn't tried these settings when I had that monitor though. I also played a lot on the FPS mode when I had it but for some reason the color saturation just wasn't as nice in that mode as I would prefer for BO3 even after tweaking the settings a bunch. I also tried to stick with the FPS mode because I thought that's when you got their best 1ms GTG response time but it wasn't until recently that I discovered that you actually get the same exact response time on any pic mode they offer. If you do end up try the settings mentioned in my video then let me know how it worked out for you :) In the video I also cover the picture settings on the PS4 Video Output side as well as the BO3 in-game picture settings.

I have seriously looked at buying a Benq monitor but for the life of me I cannot find one in man size, Do they not do them in Man Cave size for some reason? Or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

I have seriously looked at buying a Benq monitor but for the life of me I cannot find one in man size, Do they not do them in Man Cave size for some reason? Or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

LOL monitors and "man cave size" are pretty much mutually exclusive. Monitors are more used by a single person sitting directly in front them so generally anything larger than 24"-27" is frankly too big when it comes to gaming. When I think of "man cave size" (in reference to a screen) first thing that comes to mind is a big a$$ TV so when you have your boys over you're not all huddled around each other trying to watch a football game on a small screen. So basically if you're looking to buy a gaming monitor to put in your man cave to play games by yourself then you can't go wrong with one of their 24"-27" gaming monitors. Otherwise just snag a nice 50" or larger LED TV from one of the big brand names like Samsung, Sony, or LG. The only other option on the BenQ side would be to look into their projectors. Here's a link directly to their store page:

http://www.benqdirect.com/

Think the monitor I gave to my parents was BenQ, I didn't realise they were good for gaming.

Damn.

Now where's that spare key, someone's getting robbed tomorrow!

Think the monitor I gave to my parents was BenQ, I didn't realise they were good for gaming.

Damn.

Now where's that spare key, someone's getting robbed tomorrow!

Hahaha that's too funny! Go get it :)

This is as manly as they get right now. :)

BenQ XR3501 35" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor

Archived