I've had enough of Virgin Media's jitter and general wonky connection now (as anyone that's ever spoken to me will already know).

I'll be going onto fibre with BT, TalkTalk, Zen, or whoever keeps me away from Virgin's cable.

I've been noticing chatter about OpenReach modems and BT hubs etc so just wanted to know what is my best option regarding setup really...

I've got the Virgin Hub (in modem mode), then the Netduma (wifi disabled) and then an Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight (AP mode).

The latter is a router for cable connections but does anyone know, if I keep it in Access Point mode (as it is now) for the wifi, will I be able to keep this behind the Netduma using a BT-type connection - or will the fact that it is meant for cable connections stop it from functioning and thus force me to buy a new router?

Aside from that is there any benefit in me using the BT hub in modem mode vs an OpenReach modem?

Is there any way for me to find out which of these ISPs will offer me the best connection, they're all offering (and guaranteeing) the same 'speeds' (bandwidth) and they are all roughly the same price (except Zen internet) so I really don't know who to go with or what I might need...

I've only ever had broadband with Virgin, unless you go back to the dial-up days, so I have zero experience with ASDL / VDSL / Fibre / pppoe(?) / etc

Any advice welcome.

If you go with BT and the HH5 does not give you any headaches you could just stick with that.

I am with TT and I use a Hauwei modem because I do not like the TT router.

If you do go with a Hauwei modem and your cabinet is Hauwei that's great as both do G.inp on the upstream and down.

Yes you can keep the Asus in AP mode for wireless.

If you go with BT and the HH5 does not give you any headaches you could just stick with that.

I am with TT and I use a Hauwei modem because I do not like the TT router.

If you do go with a Hauwei modem and your cabinet is Hauwei that's great as both do G.inp on the upstream and down.

Yes you can keep the Asus in AP mode for wireless.

cheer Zen, I'm going to find that cabinet this evening and take a photo - for your collection ;)

That's good to know, I didn't fancy shelling out for another router

These are the cabinets that I could find that were different from the normal small cabs at the end of my road.

post-7883-0-36614000-1462556399_thumb.jpg

Pretty short and wide - the Danny Devito of cabs.

post-7883-0-18173500-1462556023_thumb.jpg

Taller version of previous - Danny Devito on tiptoes.

post-7883-0-45956900-1462556426_thumb.jpg

King Kong Box - Ruler of the roadside cabinets...

By road this big cab is about 300-400 metres (I'm in a cul-de-sac so I have to go the long way to it), as the crow flies it's about 100 metres away.

Don't know why the pics have rotated, they're fine on my desktop

that is a Hauwei cab, have a look at plusnet £5 for 6 months then 19.99 for the other 12 months. if you go with them add me as you referer, ill get 1.25 off my bill and you will get the same for each person you refer

I'm swaying towards talk talk as my contract with sky is allmost up,with TT will I be able to just run huwaie modem to Duma or is it not advised?I too am on the huwaie 288,are customer services OK with TT Z?I only ever here headaches about BT customer service I can't be doing with that

Why does the bottom cabinet have a 240 VAC sticker on it?  Is that OEM?

they all have them on now, I have noticed that were I live

they all have them on now, I have noticed that were I live

Really?  Wow.  Times they have changed.  I can remember the first system I worked in you had to worry about getting bit by less than 60 VAC, at the time.  Then we moved all the way up 75VAC.  Telephony entered the fray & we had to up everything to handle 90 VAC and then we had people that flat wouldn't work on 90 VAC plant.

240 VAC, with some of the people I have worked with, would have been amusing to watch.  I can assure you most techs are not wearing metal watches or bracelets....LOL

Just to add I use bt and it works well ,though I'm 320 metres from exchange so that helps , I would maybe try and get opinions from people you know in you local area with regards to ISPs as some may differ and be better than others, I'm on Eci cab ,not sure if it's updated to Ginp,also BT are bring there customer support back to the UK and will be upgrading apparently

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/05/bt-broadband-4g-upgrades/

I'm swaying towards talk talk as my contract with sky is allmost up,with TT will I be able to just run huwaie modem to Duma or is it not advised?I too am on the huwaie 288,are customer services OK with TT Z?I only ever here headaches about BT customer service I can't be doing with that

Yes you can use the Hauwei modem on TT and you do not have to set up PPPoE on the duma as TT do not use authentication in that way so its plug and play no loggin and pass to set up.

If you ring BT or TT you will get an Indian call center where people have not been trained or interested in BB and how it works.

Always use the TT or BT forums for customer services.

Really?  Wow.  Times they have changed.  I can remember the first system I worked in you had to worry about getting bit by less than 60 VAC, at the time.  Then we moved all the way up 75VAC.  Telephony entered the fray & we had to up everything to handle 90 VAC and then we had people that flat wouldn't work on 90 VAC plant.

240 VAC, with some of the people I have worked with, would have been amusing to watch.  I can assure you most techs are not wearing metal watches or bracelets....LOL

Lol... I bet, when they but the cab in it was bare but noticed the other day it had the sticker on,,,, probs to stop people sticking things in the vents....lol

I do not recommend Plusnet but it is up to you have a read through a few pages on the well respected TBB site http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet.html

We can all go to the TBB forums and pull up crap about any isp. have you had a bad experience 

I only recommend on the basis i have had no problems with them in the 3 and half years i have been with them, I was one of the first people to be put on their new network in the Cardiff area, your able to buy a static ip for £5.  there is also incentive for me and can be for you. your able to use your own equipment. my set up currently is an unlocked HG612 > Netduma

oh, is that why the engineers are always slumped by the curb twitching and smoking from the ears?

Yes you can use the Hauwei modem on TT and you do not have to set up PPPoE on the duma as TT do not use authentication in that way so its plug and play no loggin and pass to set up.

If you ring BT or TT you will get an Indian call center where people have not been trained or interested in BB and how it works.

Always use the TT or BT forums for customer services.

Phone for support?

Are you mad, I have you lot!

Just to add I use bt and it works well ,though I'm 320 metres from exchange so that helps , I would maybe try and get opinions from people you know in you local area with regards to ISPs as some may differ and be better than others, I'm on Eci cab ,not sure if it's updated to Ginp,also BT are bring there customer support back to the UK and will be upgrading apparently

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/05/bt-broadband-4g-upgrades/

I would but I live right on the edge of the county (literally on the border line) which is also the edge of civilisation round here - one way is the town, the other way is cow poop. So anyone I know is much closer to the exchange than me (so much so that they will all be on a different cab to me).

I suppose my only real option is to go neighbour-knocking and beg for them to give me a few minutes on their network to run some tests. Awkward much.

At least I know I have neighbours on BT (loads of them), some on TalkTalk, and one on Sky.

Nobody seems to bother changing their network name...

I suppose my only real option is to go neighbour-knocking and beg for them to give me a few minutes on their network to run some tests. Awkward much.

At least I know I have neighbours on BT (loads of them), some on TalkTalk, and one on Sky.

Nobody seems to bother changing their network name...

Yes exactly, this is what I would suggest you do, a laptop at peak time on an evening using ping plotter :)

Can I use the Hauwei modem on BT? Is it is specifically for TalkTalk?

Can I get one from the ISP or do I need to purchase it separately?

I've been running PingPlotter on my neighbours' connections this evening...

Here are the results for anyone that's interested in seeing how different connections can be with different ISPs at more or less the same location...

All tests were carried out between about 7pm and 8pm (peak time), consecutively on the same day, using my laptop via ethernet cable. And the neighbours did not use their connections whilst I was testing - those were the rules ;)

What do we reckon?

TalkTalk, lives opposite, it's only a '3mb Down / 0.6mb Up' connection though so they're on the very basic broadband package.

post-7883-0-85066900-1462831946_thumb.png

Sky, lives opposite but one, again I think this is just basic broadband but I can only test what they have so...

post-7883-0-29011700-1462832058_thumb.png

BT Infinity, next door, this neighbour actually knows what package they have.

The 'spike' looks to be where my laptop went to sleep (you turn your attention away for 5 seconds!)

post-7883-0-80631900-1462832251_thumb.png

You can not judge the first two as they are ADSL and looking at the plots its using BT's ADSL backbone, TalkTalks LLU backbone is great if used.

The last one is fibre it has a slight wobble on but nothing wild.

Archived