What do you wish you knew when you first got the R1 that you know now?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey guys, we have just enabled a new feature on the forum, thanks to Adam for that :) New users to the forum will receive an email and a PM to a link on the forum. The idea of this is to give them as much info in the thread so they may be able to diagnose and fix a problem easily. This would avoid common questions being posted again and again.

So my question to you guys is, what do you wish you knew when you first received the router that you know now? 

A few examples:

Upgrade the router to the latest firmware here.

Chrome is the recommended browser as there are known issues with IE and other browsers. If you have issues try switching to Chrome. 

Your anti-virus/firewall can interfere with the Geo-filter so try disabling this if you're experiencing issues. 

If you have NAT issues, read here

Any and all feedback is very welcome, remember this will be one of the first things new users will see. 

• Netduma Staff

Not to use the 5Ghz option on WiFi. :)

What some of the words in the settings meant.

Tbh, most of it was easy to find on the forums, but I appreciate for the new people, the forums have got lots of things in them and it might be difficult to find what they want.

To let friends past the filter turn it off invite to lobby then rate them 100% and update turn filter back on sorted for future games

I wish I knew how bad and lazy I was at playing cod. The R1 shows me that I am not on target when I am not on target and I cannot blame lag as an off the cuff excuse. I simply missed the target,

However when I'm on target those suckers go down baby:)

I think the biggest issue people have is the different types of internet and overall line quality for their particular setup. I think the R1 sheds a little more light on what we're actually getting from our ISP's and that's great, I actually see you guys doing a lot more diagnostic work on peoples networks that's way above and beyond what we purchased as far as the router goes. You guys are doing a great service to the gaming world, keep it up! 

This is not what i wish but what i see a lot on here so...

People need to input their real world speeds not their up to speeds in to congestion control.

How other users on the network effect gaming without congestion control set up. (someone refreshing facebook can spike you out easliy etc)

That some dedicated servers can be annoying how to move your Geo to miss them.

The ways to combat NAT issues with upnp forwarding or DMZ.

To turn wifi off on there other router.

Find your base ping so you can set the ping assisst correctly.

How to get the fastest speeds out of the Netduma intil the cap is lifted.

Not to have lots of enabled services on at the same time.

I have seen a few threads where people are getting stressed saying I have been at this a week and the r1 is not blah blah , when really they

have not set it up correctly or they have isp congestion so maybe the first thing everyone should test is their connection.
There is a lot to take in for a technophobe, maybe a noobs guide to what ipv6 , deep packet processing ,mtu is etc that some might be wordering what should i set these too etc.

One i have not seen but needs to be done is to have your modem and router set up's as close to the master socket as possible using a short twisted pair adsl cable (to stop noise to keep your snrm the best it can be) to get the best possible speeds for your line, have no extensions coming from the master socket as these are an ariel for noise making it less likely that dynamic line management would effect your line (pings can rise more than double in some cases)

Great feedback guys, not to go off topic but Od1n wifi is on by default mate. 

could have sworn it was off when i set it up for the first time, never mind then ;)

• 2 months later...

A wee bit off topic but hopefully relevant.

I don't have a Netduma yet, but when I take the plunge I would certainly appreciate a noob friendly setup wizard where many of these tips and questions could be covered and appropriate settings made during the initial setup, or is there one already?

• Netduma Staff

Zennon, in the Wiki for "Why is my speed lower" under "optimized for speed" it says to enter the speeds you pay for. Instead we should enter what a speed test reads?

What I would do is enter the speeds you pay for, the run a speed test and then enter the speeds you get from the speed test.

The reason for this is that the numbers in there can affect what speeds you are getting so starting off with something that is close to the right answer will mean that when you run the speed test, it is accurate :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey Mikey, I think you're talking about throttling. We at Netduma don't believe in it although quite a few people here do. You can ask them if you like.

If you need help with lag support mate please post the images requested here: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=lag_support_instructions

the lower the download cap and upload cap is the lower the ping you get on advance warefare? 50 down 5 up in us in south carolina...?

Lowering your bandwidth on the upload and download can not lower your ping.

Archived