Hyper-Traffic, Destination, Source, and Both

This is probably as simple as it seems but I just want to make sure.

When setting up Hyper-Traffic in the advanced settings it gives the options for Destination Only, Source Only, or Both.

Is it correct to assume that source only is upload and destination only is download? Or do I have this all wrong?

This is probably as simple as it seems but I just want to make sure.

When setting up Hyper-Traffic in the advanced settings it gives the options for Destination Only, Source Only, or Both.

Is it correct to assume that source only is upload and destination only is download? Or do I have this all wrong?

I believe they are talking about which ports

I believe he means just use the Xbl/PSN service for your console. Then sent/received packets will be first for the console.

So just to clarify, you mean in the basic hyperlane configuration any packets sent to and from the chosen console are first, regardless of the ports of origin?  I ask because a lot of these types of preconfigured services include some but not all of the necessary ports.  I dont know about PSN, but for xbone there are a lot of ports used for xbox live (4500, 3544, 500, 88, 80, 53, 3074, etc).  Then there are game specific ports, BO3 for example uses port 3075 whereas most xbl services use 3074.  

I just want to make sure they are all covered in the hyperlane default, otherwise I am fine adding them myself though the advanced config

If you want to activate your console then you should just use the basic setup as that will add all the ports need by the console.

I trust that the basic setup works for most people.  But I prefer to know what the basic package uses or setup myself.  

As Scrizzy said above it would be nice to know what is covered by the hyperlane default.

Is it a secret as to what the advanced settings do?

I thought Netduma encouraged trying different settings to find what works for you as the same settings don't work for everyone.

I have found that sometimes opening too many ports can cause problems just like not opening other ports can cause problems.

Sometimes it is just nice to be able to control it.  And again like Scrizzy said above some games require specific ports, can you confirm that 3075 (used by BO3) is included in the default?

Ports 53, 80 and 88 are not needing any configuration or additional rules was these are normal ports only used by XBL services and authentication and are used only when the consoles are turned on. Ports 80 and 88 are general use ports used by other apps with in the console.

Ports 53, 80 and 88 are not needing any configuration or additional rules was these are normal ports only used by XBL services and authentication and are used only when the consoles are turned on. Ports 80 and 88 are general use ports used by other apps with in the console.

This would make sense as there are no reason to include ports that are just used for configuration, The only ones that matter for performance while actually playing would be the ports actual combat traffic goes over.

Youre assuming poeple would only want to prioritize game traffic for their consoles, it is possible that some would want all console traffic prioritized in the hyperlane, including streaming services, apps, downloads, etc.  So those ports are still relevant and worthy of inclusion for some

• Administrators

Youre assuming poeple would only want to prioritize game traffic for their consoles, it is possible that some would want all console traffic prioritized in the hyperlane, including streaming services, apps, downloads, etc.  So those ports are still relevant and worthy of inclusion for some

We don't recommend hyper-traffic for streaming/downloading etc. Just low latency traffic like gaming. 

• 5 months later...

We don't recommend hyper-traffic for streaming/downloading etc. Just low latency traffic like gaming. 

I would like to know, definitively, what ports are being used specifically for CoD on XB1. Is this information that you possess, or is it a situation where the port is constantly changing?

I would like to know, definitively, what ports are being used specifically for CoD on XB1. Is this information that you possess, or is it a situation where the port is constantly changing?

You can find that information on the Activision website, I believe they stay the same.

When you add a device by selecting a service that is built into the router it forwards UDP ports 1024 through 65535 for PS and Xbox.

• 2 weeks later...

When you add a device by selecting a service that is built into the router it forwards UDP ports 1024 through 65535 for PS and Xbox.

What about ports 53, 80, 88, used for basic xbox live services?

And what about a game like The Division, which (inexplicably) uses primarily TCP protocol for game traffic?  

This is the one thing I still do not understand about the default hyperlane profiles.  What ports are covered by default?  Does it simply put any active port being used by the selected device into the hyperlane?  It seems to be a simple question to answer, but has yet to be made fully clear by the admins.

What about ports 53, 80, 88, used for basic xbox live services?

And what about a game like The Division, which (inexplicably) uses primarily TCP protocol for game traffic?  

This is the one thing I still do not understand about the default hyperlane profiles.  What ports are covered by default?  Does it simply put any active port being used by the selected device into the hyperlane?  It seems to be a simple question to answer, but has yet to be made fully clear by the admins.

The ports I said above are the ones that it puts in hyperlane. UDP ports 1024 through 65535 for PS and Xbox.

Then the hyperlane default xbl setting would not be functional for a game like The Division, which should be made clear somewhere.

I believe all game traffic is using port 33000-33499 UDP for The Division... If you want me to confirm it buy me the game and I'll gladly test it lol

More than likely the TCP traffic is for getting stats, or talking to their servers which isn't something that needs to be prioritized like actual game traffic does.

I believe all game traffic is using port 33000-33499 UDP for The Division... If you want me to confirm it buy me the game and I'll gladly test it lol

More than likely the TCP traffic is for getting stats, or talking to their servers which isn't something that needs to be prioritized like actual game traffic does.

We're currently testing the Division; all the officially supported games are listed on netduma.com.

There have been a number of articles criticizing the strange netcode of the division and its decision to apparently use TCP for game traffic.  From my own monitoring, I can see that the majority of game traffic is over port 55000 (with multiplayer VOIP turned off).

Here is a video from a well known youtuber Battenonsense, who analyzes netcode issues of popular games such as Battefield, COD, overwatch etc.

See (7:10)

Archived