Education path for network related jobs.

lukasz

Hello there DUMA ARMY.

I hope that you all are having a great weekend. As some of you may remember my post form some time ago about the CV etc, there is a big update form than. Let me start from the beginning.

I have a bit of a past behind me and basically when everybody was studding and getting qualifications I have been doing something else that has no benefits to a grownup life. No changing where I was took a lot of courage and hard work, however those days are a past and are not coming back.

In age of 24 I have found myself looking for a legal job trying to live like everybody else etc. I started form washing dishes than I become a cook pizza baker builder ware house operative and the list goes on.  Now a 2 years ago I have decided that I still have a chance to develop a career and find a job that I really like. That was the time I got my current job in Film and Television industry (more the back end of it).

Ever since than I have been searching what is that I really like what is that I would like to do? Now when I purchased this router back when it was still on sale only for few seconds I Tuesday I think. I have got one and I have joined this forum. Here is where a started to learn some basic stuff about networking while I was learning how to use this router ( lots of very helpful people gave me some good lessons).

All of a sudden I have found my self learning and basically sucking in that basic knowledge like sponge. I have found that networking is such a interesting thing for me and I absolutely love it. Here I was I have finally found something I would like to study.

Now the next step was 2016 getting a job with better income so maybe I can step by step study some of this entry level courses etc. That is where my post about the CV came. Now just as I got my CV wreighten and I was about to start the job hunt something change. Yesterday I boss and my manager gave me a significant pay rise. Basically I will have around £4000 in 2016 to spend on my education.

That is not much probably however I have been checking on the web and looking for some courses and it seems like it could get me something.

Here is my question to those that work in this filed. What should I start with Should it Be Cisco certificates or Ubiquiti etc.

I want to thank each of you who took time to read this post.

DUMA ARMY LUKASZ.

i am only 15 :) But when my IT guy comes round (To fix the Sh!t I have broken) ;) I asked him what he had to study for networking. He said that the Cisco training is very important and C++ is a must. But the Ubiquity certificates look quite good aswell.        

When i finish school i am going to get into the networking field as well. 

- Tom 

• Administrators

Hey lukasz! Really happy everything is going so well for you and really glad you'll be able to take some courses. Increasing your knowledge is always a great thing. I can't really comment on those specific courses as I have not done them myself. Everything I've learnt has been via being curious about tech, uni and on the job. 

I will ask Iain to see if he can add anything. Good luck!

Again lukasz I can't be of any help on the job situation as I build airplanes and am a pilot.

But really proud of you for overcoming your demons and seeking to further your education.you can never go wrong there.You wouldn't know it by talking to me but I do have a masters degree in exercise physiology and a minor in nutrition,and I'm still as dumbass... ;)

And getting a career instead of just a job as there is a difference,is a great thing to do for your long term financial future.

Wish you all the best brother and keep us posted.

i am only 15 :) But when my IT guy comes round (To fix the Sh!t I have broken) ;) I asked him what he had to study for networking. He said that the Cisco training is very important and C++ is a must. But the Ubiquity certificates look quite good aswell.        

When i finish school i am going to get into the networking field as well. 

- Tom 

Hello buddy.

Than is interesting because C++ is a programming stuff. Yebs so far I have established that Cisco its very important.

Hey lukasz! Really happy everything is going so well for you and really glad you'll be able to take some courses. Increasing your knowledge is always a great thing. I can't really comment on those specific courses as I have not done them myself. Everything I've learnt has been via being curious about tech, uni and on the job. 

I will ask Iain to see if he can add anything. Good luck!

Hello buddy.

Thanks for the support. That would be much appreciated  if he could share some wisdom on it. 

Again lukasz I can't be of any help on the job situation as I build airplanes and am a pilot.

But really proud of you for overcoming your demons and seeking to further your education.you can never go wrong there.You wouldn't know it by talking to me but I do have a masters degree in exercise physiology and a minor in nutrition,and I'm still as dumbass... ;)

And getting a career instead of just a job as there is a difference,is a great thing to do for your long term financial future.

Wish you all the best brother and keep us posted.

Thank you buddy for all of the support. Wow you are a pilot hmm.... do they have enough room to fit you in there buddy?

Thats is some cool stuff about healthy life etc. People those days are absolutely  mad about it at lest in London. 

Yebs dont get me wrong what ever I do I do it to the best of my abilities. Whether I am cleaning toilets or setting up equipment fpr the next blockbuster I always do my best. How every I know if only I have a chance I can do something that I really enjoy. 

For networking a Cisco CCNA offers a lot of job opportunities and is a great networking foundation.

Was my first IT qualification and has been invaluable for me

Yebs that was what I was thinking. Thanks a lot buddy. 

Hey Lukasz, good for you man!  Really glad to hear the progress and having a goal to work towards can be a very powerful motivator.

I happen to work in IT now, I transferred careers awhile back from construction management.  I work with some pretty smart folks who do a lot of networking and "getting shit to talk to other shit" both inside my current company walls, and with a ton of exterior vendors.

Let me ask a couple of the more senior, Alpha male types this morning as I am making my rounds and see if I can't get you some ideas.

Good for you man!  I'm really proud of you and how you have taken to this new area of study and are going after it with real energy!

I'll post back anything I can find out for you.

JD

• Administrators

Hi Lukasz,

Really great to hear how much you've turned your life around and that you now have a thirst for knowledge. 

This is going to sound weird but I don't really know other than cisco qualifications. The way I see it there are 3 types of jobs in networking:

1. Network admin, these are the guys who put networks together for corporations, campuses, whatever and they have to maintain them. 
  2. Network programmers, these are people that make programs that use networks e.g. game programmers, web browser developers or anyone who creates a program that has to communicate across different devices
  3. Network researchers, these are people who study network protocols and try improve performance for different scenarios. For example some people are researching how to make the Internet work in space because the pings are in the minutes range if not more. I did my research on congestion for TCP/IP edge networks. 

It sounds to me like you want advice on the first type. However I only have experience in jobs 2 and 3. Hopefully someone in this area responds, looks like a few have already :)

You can put on your CV you're NETDUMA qualified lol

Hi Lukasz - I grabbed the new IT kid we got here, I am not sure he is old enough to drive, but that is another story.  Then I grabbed his mentor and hit them both up about how to go about "getting into the business".

They reiterated a lot of what Iain said above.  You have a couple of different career paths inside the same parent bubble (IT) and a lot depends on how you like working with more software as opposed to working with more hardware (racking, stacking, wiring and provisioning).

Only you are going to know that, which is where their career advice led.

CERTIFICATIONS:  This was the number one thing they recommended as opposed to years of schooling, but only if you are looking for an entry level, learn on the job type opportunity.  Both of my local guys I talked too got in the business early on in their careers and worked their way up using company paid training and tuition reimbursement, which is obviously a lot easier on the person doing the paying (i.e. - YOU)  :D  Obviously, check your local market and talk to some people there, because advice on the job market from half a world away isn't much good to be honest.

Here are some specifics they mentioned:

1)  They recommended this local school as having good courses and job placement assistance.  Obviously this isn't a benefit to you as it's local to me, but I wanted to give you a standard they know so maybe you can find something similar in your neck of the woods (or maybe take courses online)?  

• Comptia is a website they both said is a fantastic resource that is somewhat of a paid training and certification program, so you may want to check that out and see if it, or something like it locally, may benefit you.

2) A+:  Apparently this has a hardware and a software component that will give you exposure to both worlds.  This is kind of an entry level, "assumed-to-have" skill-set from what they were telling me, so this needs to be explored more for your specific needs as I can't say one way or the other.

3) Network+: This is a step up from A+ training and was lumped in with the "I expect a guy I interview to have these skills" but again, you will need to check this out locally or with more knowledgeable people.

4) Hardware Expertise:  This was kind of a choice.  Here, Microsoft is just over the hill, so there is a lot of call for MSFT experience.  An MCSA is a good place to start here with an ultimate goal being moving through the training and becoming a MCSE.  Cisco is the other big name, so a CCNA with the idea of ultimately getting a CCIE would be another path.

Now Sean, who is one of my senior, Alpha male guru's is from the UK and got over here because he trained in Cisco gear.  He said the world wide reach of Cisco made more sense to him and it hasn't treated him poorly.  That said, he is living in another country half a world away from his home town, friends and family, so.....

Hope that helps.  I'd be happy to ask them any specific questions you may have after doing some research, just let me know.

JD

Thank you guys for such a great help. I will take all of those advice on board and do my research amd come back with my findings.

There is no othere place like this. With so much kindnes. The man kind is not lost after all.

Archived