Hi from Staffordshire.

supermiff

With all the hype going on at the minute I decided it was time to give the R1 a shot. I play a lot of PS4 PvP games, such as Call of Duty and Destiny etc., and I am keen to see how well the geo filter works and whether it improves the quality of my matchmade games. I am currently using an Apple Time Capsule which has been great and will take a lot of beating however, I wanted to run the R1 against the gauntlet and see how well it compared. I am very confident that the R1 will definitely make a fantastic impression as I play all my games via LAN but my main area of concern is to see how well the wifi on the R1 is. We use wifi solely for web browsing and video streaming (Netflix, Prime & Plex) so the real test will be whether this decrease to 2.4ghz will cause any issues and stand a chance of replacing the Time Capsule as my primary router. On the wired side of things the R1 is absolutely perfect for my requirements due to its high level of configurability and my TC having only a very basic set of advanced settings to control. A 5Ghz signal may be overkill for video streaming so I figured it was worth giving the R1 a shot and make sure that it not only improved my gaming experience but also was more than capable of keeping my girlfriends wifi video streaming as stable as usual whilst I am gaming. I'm excited to see the results and who knows, I may find it more than capable of replacing my Time Capsule now that I never use the Tc's hard drive for backing up my devices.

Welcome to the DUMA ARMY buddy.

As you probably know it if the 2.4 does not meet you need you can always setup other router as a access point running from NETDUMA. Though i never use apple so i dont know if its possible to set it just as and access point. 

Welcome to the DUMA ARMY buddy.

As you probably know it if the 2.4 does not meet you need you can always setup other router as a access point running from NETDUMA. Though i never use apple so i dont know if its possible to set it just as and access point. 

Thank you for your reply. I'm not a networking expert however I did think about this previously. I was thinking about connecting my TC to the R1 in bridge mode and leaving my existing wifi devices connected to the TC as they are. I have no idea what results this will incur however I will run a series of "pre R1" tests tonight and see how everything performs once the R1 is fitted between my modem and the TC. If anyone more experienced than me (most) knows of whether this is possible or could cause any issues I'd be appreciative for the input. Thanks again.

• Administrators

Hi Supermiff,

Welcome to the forum, I hope the R1 delivers for you. I'd recommend putting your other router behind the R1 as Lukasz said. If you can put it in bridge mode as well then you'll get all the benefits of the R1 and 5ghz of the other router :D 

If you have any questions about how to do it please don't hesitate to ask 

Yes, I'm going to put the TC in bridge mode and give it a shot. One thing I will need assistance on, since I'm currently not familiar with the R1 interface, is how to open ports correctly. I have several specific ports and some port ranges that I currently need open that are set on my TC. Are there any detailed guides on how to correctly set this up on the R1? Say for example I need to open port 1000 TCP, port 2000 UDP, ranges 1009-1100 TCP, and ranges 2009-2100 UDP, how would this be achieved? These numbers are purely artificial but this is the only step which may delay me so Id love to figure it out in advance. Cheers mate!

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum! Theres no guide per se on how to use the port forwarding however it is very easy, by going to device manager you can find the IP of the device you want to open ports for. Then go to port forwarding, use that IP for the device, choose a name for the port forwarding you're doing such as 'my xbox', choose the port range and UDP or TCP :)

Archived