My Internet Service went out

Alex49H

So after months of telling my ISP that I was seeing spikes in Ping Plotter, occasionally seeing packet loss that spiked to 300-400ms, and checking my modem levels which were not up to level my outlet gave out.

Now I tried pressing the reset button on the back of my Netgear Cm400 modem but nothing happened. I switched back to the Motorola SB6183 and called Cox to provision it and the same thing. No service.

They scheduled a Tech to come out Monday. No Bueno.

$60 bucks for them to come out though. Any suggestions?

Start at where the line comes in the house. Try a modem at the main line in and work from there. Around here the cable company is responsible from the pole to the house. The only time they charge is inside the house and that's only if it's not their "fault" (example - your personal modem or router is faulty). Good luck and tweet me if you need more help.

Well I dont know is that would be anny useful but here was what I had on me when I was having technician at my place.

I had learn here on the forum to treat the nice so first thing I did I offered him a cup of coffie.

I had keep a record of Pingplotter, Pingtest.net, cdm pings and tracert , and netduma internet diagnostics form several days on my laptop and before he even started to work on my network I got him to watch all off those or most of it.  

I was lucky enough to be able to capture pictures of open cabinet outside my house that belong to that company so i showed that to him as well.

I did that with 3 technician and 1 supervisor with no luck.

Finally i started a twitter campaign on my ISP and that had brought some results.

That $60 is a scare quote and should only be applied if they show up and your dog has chewed the shit out of your cable or they can find something specific YOU did to cause the problem.

The minute they have to do any work on the street or at the pedestal, that should negate the charge as it was a problem on their side.

Do you know if any of your neighbors had trouble last night? Did you have broadcast, downstream TV, or was it all completely out.

Intermittent problems, like the kind you have been describing, can be a pain in the ass to track down. Sometimes you get lucky and a bad piece of gear just craps out with extra rainfall or temp changes.

What's the status this morning? Any changes?

Dillinger to the rescue. And yes I have no internet signal nor cable signal. The Tech just got here and with Dillingers advice we shall see what happens. He went out to the street to check. Loyal customer for 11 years!

Dillinger to the rescue. And yes I have no internet signal nor cable signal. The Tech just got here and with Dillingers advice we shall see what happens. He went out to the street to check. Loyal customer for 11 years!

Good luck man.  Hopefully you have one of the good ones that wants to fix it right and be able to close the chapter on your house. :)

But get that ground run temp line for monitoring if you can.  That attic run you described does have me concerned.   ;)

Good luck man. Hopefully you have one of the good ones that wants to fix it right and be able to close the chapter on your house. :)

But get that ground run temp line for monitoring if you can. That attic run you described does have me concerned. ;)

What about the modem problem.you were having Alex? Are you still seeing it drop out randomly?

So far it hasn't but I have to keep monitoring it. But if it does then I will need you help and advice please.

They came out today and reset from the box outside. No light in the attic so he didn't do anything up there. He did say the signal was weak from my outlet by my modem so he reset it even putting a new splitter.

• Administrators

They came out today and reset from the box outside. No light in the attic so he didn't do anything up there. He did say the signal was weak from my outlet by my modem so he reset it even putting a new splitter.

At least he did something, hopefully that will resolve it :)

What's the latest Alex? How was the service (TV and Interwebz) for NFL Sunday/Gaming Sunday?

Hey! Cable went back up and Internet too. I placed modem>Netgear Router>Duma in DMZ and connection is better now.

The tech just tested the line at the box and reset it. Then he came inside and tested it at the outlet and said it was low and reset it there too. Still spikes in connection but that is the EEE bug between my modem and the Duma router.

At one point just to see I only had my modem and Netgear router without the Duma and I still saw spikes in my connection but no signal degradation while I streamed Netflix. But my ISP says my connection is optimized.

Thanks for your help JD!

Archived