Slow download speeds

Hello-

Since getting the R1 I'm having issues getting accurate download speeds while doing a speed test. I pay for 150 down and 25 up. However I'm getting varied results on the download. Speeds vary from 60-100. I've done the disable deep packet thing, disabled the IPv6 thing, disable the local link and correctly entered my bandwidth speed of 150 and 20. Any help would be appreciated?? I currently have been using my PC to test the speeds but this also happened on my ps4 and iPads as well.

• Administrators

Hey Zero, 

Firstly console speed tests are quite inaccurate so I wouldn't pay much attention to them. For the iPad, wireless will always be slower speeds so thats the issue there. 

Just quickly ensure everything has been done from here http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lowersounds like you have so I'm more concerned with if you've turned off IPv6 in all locations, reset distribution, reactive algorithm etc. Current max speed is around 120mb and an update coming out very soon (likely within 2 weeks) will ensure you can use all your speed. If its fluctuating a lot like that it either sounds like an inconsistent speed coming from your ISP or the speed test server you're using so I would try some of the other servers

Thanks for replying. Regarding the LAN & WAN IPv6 I have disabled

both. Reset distribution, yes. And yes I'm using reactive. I was using

an Asus Rt-n56u previously and never had seen a big discrepancy like

this regardless of what server I was testing. Just was curious if I

was doing something wrong and what I could do to fix it if possible.

Welcome to the forums :)

I read you say "I pay for 150/20" you will not get 150/20 unless you live right next to the cab.

As an example I pay for 80/20 but get 55/17 because of the distance I am from my cabinet.

What are your usual speeds from your isp router are these 150/20 and I have taken it too literally?

Welcome to the forums :)

I read you say "I pay for 150/20" you will not get 150/20 unless you live right next to the cab.

As an example I pay for 80/20 but get 55/17 because of the distance I am from my cabinet.

What are your usual speeds from your isp router are these 150/20 and I have taken it too literally?

In the US, the FCC requires by law that you get 80% of the speeds advertised.  If you pay for 150/20 if you are getting less than 120 download or less than 16 up...you can sue your ISP or threaten to sue them and they'll wave the internet charges...to get evidence run dslreports tests and speedtest.net from multiple servers...

The reason you wouldn't be getting these speeds is because your ISP over sells your node, this is illegal (according to the FCC).

Yes I am wired. I usually use speedtest.net for testing or testmynet on my ps4. My speed test through my PC using the old configuration, which was isp modem, Asus router then PC and ps4 hard wired would yield a download of 150-175 down and 23-25 upload. My ps4 would get 35-40 down and 20-25 up using testmynet. My ping through PC would be between 20-30 regardless if the server was 30miles away or 500 miles away.

• Netduma Staff

Yes I am wired. I usually use speedtest.net for testing or testmynet on my ps4. My speed test through my PC using the old configuration, which was isp modem, Asus router then PC and ps4 hard wired would yield a download of 150-175 down and 23-25 upload. My ps4 would get 35-40 down and 20-25 up using testmynet. My ping through PC would be between 20-30 regardless if the server was 30miles away or 500 miles away.

Can you run a speed test now when connected to the Netduma and post a link to the results :)

In the US, the FCC requires by law that you get 80% of the speeds advertised.  If you pay for 150/20 if you are getting less than 120 download or less than 16 up...you can sue your ISP or threaten to sue them and they'll wave the internet charges...to get evidence run dslreports tests and speedtest.net from multiple servers...

The reason you wouldn't be getting these speeds is because your ISP over sells your node, this is illegal (according to the FCC).

Ah, It is all down to distance here in the uk with no such guarantees.

The people that use BT or other companys that rent from BT mostly have FTTC fibre to cab then copper from the cab leading to slow down over distance.

Unfortunately I do not have a clue on how to upload a picture/screen shot of my results. I retested using test my net and got a download of 94 and upload of 16 for my first test. Second test resulted 84 down and 17.9 up. I can live with that for now and hope that the next update only increases it. I also enabled auto cloud, enabled bleeding edge, enabled UPnP, disabled wifi work around and cleaned up the device manager. A thing else that may help please let me know. Thanks for the The help, it's appreciated!

Unfortunately I do not have a clue on how to upload a picture/screen shot of my results. I retested using test my net and got a download of 94 and upload of 16 for my first test. Second test resulted 84 down and 17.9 up. I can live with that for now and hope that the next update only increases it. I also enabled auto cloud, enabled bleeding edge, enabled UPnP, disabled wifi work around and cleaned up the device manager. A thing else that may help please let me know. Thanks for the The help, it's appreciated!

This may help with the screen shots.

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_take_a_screen_shot

Hi,

I am/was having the same issue, for me the NetDuma was incorrectly detecting my MTU settings.  I had it set to auto in WAN, I disabled all the ipv6 setting and was still getting flakey speed i was getting 100mbps+ then i would get 16mbps.  After changing MTU in WAN to manual and setting it to 1500 i seem to be getting more consistent results 100mbps+  I hope this helps.

Edit: My cable modem is in bridge mode.

Archived