Question about Settings.

I've only had my R1 for about ten days so still trying to figure out if I have everything setup 100% correctly.  I seem to have it working well but some settings I have questions about how I should use them. 

I am using the R1 to play COD games both on X1 and 360. Right now going to stick with Black Ops 2 until 3 is released.  My speeds are 120 down & 40 up.  I get my full speeds no problem.

My current setup is Modem > R1.  Was thinking about hooking up my other router but wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to put it before the R1 or after. Don't want to lose a lot of the R1's features if I put it before the R1. Seems most people have it Modem > other router > R1. So my question them is why not Modem > R1 > other router?

My questions:

*The anti-flood sliders.  What is a good target area for these to be set at down/up? I left them at 100% until yesterday and started messing with 70%. Which is the better way to use these?

*Settings>Miscellaneous:

*Should I have "Enable upnp forwarding" checked? (I am using upnp for my two consoles both nats are open)

*Should I have "Enable wifi work-around" checked? (I am using the R1's wireless and it works good without this enabled)

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

If the Netduma is last in the chain them all devices connect to it and can use its features exclusively.

70% is recommended if others are using your network while you game.

On the other points if they are working now I would not change them.

Well i can answer only some of those questions but i am sure the rest will be answered soon by someone else.

About the anti fload sliders. I think is recommended to keep them at 70%. But you are free to test it for you self.

I will explain a bit how it works so then you can have better understanding of it. So what it does when yoy set it to lesr say 70% the remaining bandwhit stayes unused by any device and its there to absorb any high trafic from you local network conjestion. You home conjestion.

More here http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_getting_started.

Rest will be answered soon by somebody else

If the Netduma is last in the chain them all devices connect to it and can use its features exclusively.

70% is recommended if others are using your network while you game.

On the other points if they are working now I would not change them.

Let me ask you this. Is there any benefit to using another router before the R1 if everything is going to be connected to the R1?  Also is there any negatives with this setup also like any type of delay?

Hi PubZzz - I play a lot of Black Ops 2 (both 360 and PS3), so here are the settings I use.  *You should probably play with these and alter based on your locale and the distance to the host games you are getting

Preemptive setting.  My straight ping to host for a speed test is about 12-14ms

If less than about 90K players online, I set my sliders to 87% each.  I set my radius to about 350-400 miles, which for me covers all of Washington State, Oregon, part of Idaho & Nevada, and Northern Cali.

If it's Thursday/Friday (heavy population online) or if the player count is around 100K or higher, I close my radius down to Washington and Oregon, move my sliders down to about 72% each and play with them set there.

I have tried a lot of combination, but these work for me given the times of day I can play and taking into account my home setup.

Hope that helps.  Once you get a formula that works for you, please come back and share with the rest of us.  I suspect Blops 2 is going to be getting a lot of comeback players in preps for the November drop, so the better we can equip the [Duma] Army, the better.  :P  :ph34r:

• Netduma Staff

Let me ask you this. Is there any benefit to using another router before the R1 if everything is going to be connected to the R1?  Also is there any negatives with this setup also like any type of delay?

No, there is no benefit. If you did connect it then the delay would probably be less than 1ms :) If the other router has good Wifi you might hook it up after the Netduma and use it as an access point.

Well i can answer only some of those questions but i am sure the rest will be answered soon by someone else.

About the anti fload sliders. I think is recommended to keep them at 70%. But you are free to test it for you self.

I will explain a bit how it works so then you can have better understanding of it. So what it does when yoy set it to lesr say 70% the remaining bandwhit stayes unused by any device and its there to absorb any high trafic from you local network conjestion. You home conjestion.

More here http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_getting_started.

Rest will be answered soon by somebody else

The only thing connecting to the internet when I game at night is my console and my PC. I'm not downloading or anything just have my netduma dashboard up on my pc.  So for that should I be leaving it at 100% or is it better to find a spot between 70%-100%? 

Everyone is different but even when my network is clear I set mine to 70% just incase my phone does and update of an app or something.

It just seems to play better at 70% anyhow for me.

• Administrators

Hey, I would only echo what people have said here:

70/70 if heavy internet usage or gaming to prevent lag spikes otherwise can leave at 100% for normal internet browsing etc

If NAT is open and wifi works as is then leave the settings as they are

modem > router > R1 would mean you lose the benefit of the R1s congestion control

modem > R1 > router would really only be necessary if you wanted more powerful wifi or have a unique set up

Sounds like you're setup pretty correctly :) 

Hey, I would only echo what people have said here:

70/70 if heavy internet usage or gaming to prevent lag spikes otherwise can leave at 100% for normal internet browsing etc

If NAT is open and wifi works as is then leave the settings as they are

modem > router > R1 would mean you lose the benefit of the R1s congestion control

modem > R1 > router would really only be necessary if you wanted more powerful wifi or have a unique set up

Sounds like you're setup pretty correctly :)

Thank you for the reply.  I think I'll add in my other router after the R1 just to get the 5G.  The 2.4g on the R1 is pretty rock solid. 

Hi PubZzz - I play a lot of Black Ops 2 (both 360 and PS3), so here are the settings I use.  *You should probably play with these and alter based on your locale and the distance to the host games you are getting

Preemptive setting.  My straight ping to host for a speed test is about 12-14ms

If less than about 90K players online, I set my sliders to 87% each.  I set my radius to about 350-400 miles, which for me covers all of Washington State, Oregon, part of Idaho & Nevada, and Northern Cali.

If it's Thursday/Friday (heavy population online) or if the player count is around 100K or higher, I close my radius down to Washington and Oregon, move my sliders down to about 72% each and play with them set there.

I have tried a lot of combination, but these work for me given the times of day I can play and taking into account my home setup.

Hope that helps.  Once you get a formula that works for you, please come back and share with the rest of us.  I suspect Blops 2 is going to be getting a lot of comeback players in preps for the November drop, so the better we can equip the [Duma] Army, the better.  :P  :ph34r:

I see what your saying with how you adjust the sliders at different times. I'm going to give this a go. 

Thanks again

Archived