Netduma shuts off internet

Hi, just recently at random times it appears that my netduma is causing my internet to lapse or "reconnect." This of course causes all the devices on my network to have 0 internet access. i finally unplugged the netduma after this happening multiple times last night. beyond frustrated with it. Any help is appreciated thanks!

The netduma cant handle the 300 down 25 up i get and i play competitive so the more down/up i get the easier it is to win gunfights. So i have my R1 in port 1 of my router, and then all other devices except my xbox going through it. I have my xbox connected to router with ports forwarded so that ensures priority. I only need the congestion and wifi from the netduma not geo filter crap. 

• Netduma Staff

Can you go to Settings >> Miscellaneous and disable 'Wifi Workaround'. Those instructions are found here in the FAQ of the Wiki.

So you have all devices apart from your Xbox going through the Netduma? You'd probably be better having the Xbox going through the Netduma then you'll be able to use the congestion control for it. And ping is what matters, games only need about 300Kbps to work :)

• Administrators

Bandwidth has nothing to do with gaming, as Crossy says they actually use very little. By connecting it to your other router, the congestion control won't actually work properly as all devices aren't going through the R1. UPnP would open the necessary ports for you on the Xbox if you were to connect it to the R1. 

I think there may be something to this.  I have seen the same problem, at first I thought it was my sky service or router being crap but I dug a little further and confirmed it was only happening when using the R1.  I tried connecting directly to the sky router, no issues I also tried replacing the R1 with my old TP-Link router and again no issues.

I've been too busy lately to really dig down any further and was waiting for the new firmware release which has a lot of optimisations hoping it might be taken care of there.

I know it's all my devices losing internet simultaneously as I have a network monitor which fires off alerts when connectivity issues occur and I always get a boatload at the same time when it happens.

• Administrators

I think there may be something to this.  I have seen the same problem, at first I thought it was my sky service or router being crap but I dug a little further and confirmed it was only happening when using the R1.  I tried connecting directly to the sky router, no issues I also tried replacing the R1 with my old TP-Link router and again no issues.

I've been too busy lately to really dig down any further and was waiting for the new firmware release which has a lot of optimisations hoping it might be taken care of there.

I know it's all my devices losing internet simultaneously as I have a network monitor which fires off alerts when connectivity issues occur and I always get a boatload at the same time when it happens.

Is this wired included or just wifi?

Is this wired included or just wifi?

It's wired and wi-fi, complete loss of internet.  LAN still works OK.

It doesn't last long between 10-30 seconds on average and then everything reconnects.  They only reason I noticed it is because of my network monitor complaining it can't contact my servers.

When I get some free time I want to try and isolate the issue, it may be that others are experiencing it but with a 10 second outage it may be going unnoticed by most people.

And before Crossy asks...yes I did turn it off and on again :P

If you are having connectivity problems.  Can you post a pic of the cable connection of you modem if you lose connectivity?  It will look something like this usually. Does rebooting fix your connectivity issues? 

I has this issue briefly today. From what i gathered it momentarily disconnects the internet (Both wired and wireless) and almost 5 seconds later it is working fine again. This happened when i was messing around with IPv6 Settings and forgot to reboot the NETDUMA. It settled down after about an hour.

If you are having connectivity problems.  Can you post a pic of the cable connection of you modem if you lose connectivity?  It will look something like this usually. Does rebooting fix your connectivity issues? 

Can you explain how to do this and I will post a picture, really struggling to even join a game now

Can you explain how to do this and I will post a picture, really struggling to even join a game now

What type of modem are you using? Who's your internet provider? You should be able to access your modem  by typing 192.168.100.1 into your browser's address bar.   

I have been experiencing the same thing.  The R1 is hard wired to the Time Warner modem.  I have the PS4 and Verizon Network Extender hard wired while everything else is wireless.  I first notice a freeze when playing COD AW followed quickly by my son complaining about the internet connection (wireless).  It often comes back but seems slow and spotty.  I then have to reboot the router to correct.  This weekend I was playing with geo filter disabled.  ipv6 is disabled (wan/lan), not using wireless workaround.  When I got to the Chrome to look at the browser (typically defaulted to geo-filter), it usually has an error message... something like an error has occurred press.  I press OK and then have it reboot.

Can you all try disabling IPv6 in settings > miscellaneous, wan and lan please and see if that resolves it

Just as an FYI these are the things I have tried but unable to resolve the issue.

Disabling IPV6 everywhere

Disabling Wi-Fi workaround

Congestion control sliders at 100%

Distribution reset (share excess is always ticked)

Host Filtering Disabled

MTU tried manual and Auto

Deep packet processing tried On and Off

Replaced LAN Cable

Internet diagnosis

Ping Jitter Spikes Packet Loss Exceptional Exceptional Exceptional No Loss

The only thing I can't test is replacing my sky router with a modem (MER) but during the outages the sky router is connected and I can get internet if I connect directly through it.

Are others experiencing this running a  modem or a router setup?

• Administrators

Can you all just ensure that all cables are firmly connected to the R1 as slightly loose can cause higher pings and potential drop outs. This shows how even a little bit of wiggle room can cause it http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_do_i_have_insanely_high_pings

• 4 months later...

I suspect it has something to do with having a ton of different devices in memory of the router. Possibly the congestion control is not shutting off correctly. I was on the most recent firmware. Just did a factory reset as a last ditch effort and with only 5 items in its memory it is back to working normally. I am not sure what my firmware is now as I just did the factory reset.

Was a major issue though as it seemed maybe the router couldn't handle it's duties for some reason. Had a hard time narrowing it down between the surfboard modem and the router. The reset definitely shows its the router. Leaving it alone for now and as more devices connect back to it maybe I can update.

PS.. Speeds are 125 down and 25 up before and after with good pings. Reactive without deep packet processing. Left ipv4/v6 settings alone.

Archived