TRUE Bandwidth test sites and Duma settings

boxone

As we know most ISP's use "burst" (especially Comcast)  to help downloads but that seems to only work for the maybe 30 seconds?  What I found that works for my Duma really well is setting my bandwidth to 80 down and 7 up and this works with everyone streaming Netfilx or Youtube in the house (14 devices in my house)  With sites like speedtest.net that seems to always show speeds with burst which may not be your actually true speeds (although it makes you feel great!).  That site always shows my connection at 125 down and 12 up.

I use http://testmy.net/mirrorand pick the server near me which is San Jose since I'm in the Bay Area CA.  I also use http://www.pingtest.net/index.php to check packet loss and jitter because both of those really can cause lag (choose server near you here too).  A connection should always rate an "A" there.  If not there's problem.

My settings for the my Duma is "reactive", turn off "deep packet processing" and putting "Antiflood" to 70% down and up "only" when playing games.  Hope this helps for anyone.  BTW, The Duma is the only router (I had at least 7 now) that actually works for ping and gaming! Other router QOS is useless for gaming! =)  Sorry, had to brag.  ;)

Guest Netduma Fraser

As we know most ISP's use "burst" (especially Comcast)  to help downloads but that seems to only work for the maybe 30 seconds?  What I found that works for my Duma really well is setting my bandwidth to 80 down and 7 up and this works with everyone streaming Netfilx or Youtube in the house (14 devices in my house)  With sites like speedtest.net that seems to always show speeds with burst which may not be your actually true speeds (although it makes you feel great!).  That site always shows my connection at 125 down and 12 up.

I use http://testmy.net/mirrorand pick the server near me which is San Jose since I'm in the Bay Area CA.  I also use http://www.pingtest.net/index.php to check packet loss and jitter because both of those really can cause lag (choose server near you here too).  A connection should always rate an "A" there.  If not there's problem.

My settings for the my Duma is "reactive", turn off "deep packet processing" and putting "Antiflood" to 70% down and up "only" when playing games.  Hope this helps for anyone.  BTW, The Duma is the only router (I had at least 7 now) that actually works for ping and gaming! Other router QOS is useless for gaming! =)  Sorry, had to brag.   ;)

Hey boxone! Thanks so much, thats really awesome to hear! Im sure it will help others too :) Brag away sir :D

Should I have reactive/deep packet selected? I am willing to give up bandwidth if it means a better gaming experience and lower ping lobbies. I'm on a console and my bandwidth is 100/20.

Should I have reactive/deep packet selected? I am willing to give up bandwidth if it means a better gaming experience and lower ping lobbies. I'm on a console and my bandwidth is 100/20.

Bandwidth and ping are not really related.

For 100/20 connection I would go with reactive and deep packet inspection is really up to you depending on if you play supported PC games (I know you are console but some people have both)? You don't need to disable it to get full 100 download I believe.

I'm sorry I said reactive. I meant preemptive.

I would go with reactive. Preemptive would lower your download speed and you do not need the congestion control algorithms that reactive uses with a 100mb download imo

Quick question guys,if you are not on a fibre connecation like me would you still recommend using the 70 70 setting on the congestion or is it only really best for fibre speed?should I go lower?I've run at 35 35 a few times and dropped 80 kills in a 6v6 dom on AW but then the next game I can be getting totally outgunned?can't seem to find a sweet spot.fibre is activated in my area in the next few month so hopefully should have no more issues

Benormous my guess as Iain says in this post http://forum.netduma...estion-control/  is to lower the bandwidth to at least 70-70 because of bursting which can cause lag spikes but it may only happen when a lot of people are using your internet (thats my house).  Most cable ISP's use burst when downloading so its not your true speeds.  For me to find my True speed is using "combined" speed test at http://testmy.net/choosing the server near me and clicking "test my internet" at around 3am when my internet is less congested from house use and I guess the ISP in general at that time.  Yes, sadly I wake at 3am for work lol!  Hope you get it working well.

BTW I only lower it when I'm gaming and put it back to 100 up and down when not.  ;)

Well there's literally my xbox one my ipad and my phone so I know my xbox gets all the Internet when I game,sometimes lowering the congestion will really benefit me and can feel untouchable on the game but sometimes I just gets destroyed,I allways put it back to 100% when I'm not gaming,openreach need to pull there fingers out and activate my exchange god damn

Guest Netduma_Iain

Deep packet processing is submillisecond and will only be processing when you're running certain PC games. Disable it by all means :) 

• 6 months later...

Is it better to set your bandwidth based on what you get from a speed test website, or what your console says its getting (both when your R1 is at 100%)? Mine vary drastically and I also have yet to find that sweet spot. Its a different experience every time I turn it on.

Is it better to set your bandwidth based on what you get from a speed test website, or what your console says its getting (both when your R1 is at 100%)? Mine vary drastically and I also have yet to find that sweet spot. Its a different experience every time I turn it on.

Also, concerning preemptive/reactive. I've been told by the guys at Netduma that you should only use preemptive if you have less than 60mbps down, but again, is that reading from a speed test site, or from what the console reads? With R1 at 100% d/u, I get 65 mbps down on a mac, on my console it says around 15. Both on wifi for the time being. Without my R1, my modem/router reads 87mbps down, console never gets higher than 20. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

holy crap, i went to http://testmy.net/ and 10.4mbps! down, 3.8mbps up. i am supposed to get 60/4. i have my r1 set for 60/4.

8zH54IGB.tpRnEsq.png

this is my speedtest result

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4581021063

this seems too large a variance. i know testmy went to dallas to their server which is half the US away from me... i get 30mbps on speedtest to dallas area.

not quite sure how to set my bandwidth setting on r1 now or what results to trust. actually i KNOW that testmy is wrong. it says i only have 1.3MB down BUT i DL stuff at 5MB all the time. something isnt correct about their test.

I have just tested a few diff on speedtest.net first gave me 38mb down with a ping of 128ms then the next 55 down with a ping of 15ms which is right for my sync to the cab and my real ping times CMD & ping plotter.

Proves they can all be flaky sometimes, I think it is better to pick a server on your doorstep and testing out of what could be the servers peak time of use.

I tested quite a few times on test my.net it's always far slower. It's not even in the ballpark though. I get sustained speeds of 5MB down when downloading stuff so I know they are not accurate with their 1.3MB test of my access.

Actually I had posted a thread here about my network coming to a halt for other traffic when downloading at large speeds but even that seems to have cleared up some.

Archived