Any extensive technical reviews?

psygn

Hi,

I'm considering buying this router, but I am looking for a technical in-depth review even at this early stage.  Has anyone compiled average ping times to host versus ping times without geo-filtering?  I usually sway towards hard numbers and technical pieces rather than opinions, but I have no doubt this router improves the gaming experience especially in CoD.  But I just want to know to what degree by numbers and testing does this router help someone like me who lives in Texas with plenty of players around me to connect to.

I've looked at just about every video there is and they don't get too technical, but they've been good at giving the overall picture: don't expect there to be perfect connection lobbies, but do expect more consistency in hit registrations.  I just want some numbers and in-depthiness to this opinion to persuade me further.

Thanks

psygn..whats up?

I looked at all the video for myself, I purchased about 5 different so call "gaming routers" and I could not get any of them to work for me. I pulled the trigger and I cannot go back to the way it use to be. I was getting to point that if I could not see any changes in playing, I was not going to play multiplayer anymore. Not to say this will eliminate all of the BS associated with any games but man, what a difference it makes. I also like technical data but when you have many people writing positive things about this router, it's hard to not want to at least try it. See the thing is, the geo map setup is what helps your gaming. I'm learning a little bit more about it. But now I've been enjoying games that I stop playing before. You can try port forward and dmz setup and changing your dns to a faster setup but a lot of that didn't work for me. Not to say it didn't work for others, it just did'n work for me. hope this helps.

Guest Netduma Luke

This is probably the most in depth review written about our router so far:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CoDCompetitive/comments/2pxh6h/netduma_r1_router_review/

CharlieIntel's is very thorough as well:

http://charlieintel.com/2014/12/14/netduma-r1-gaming-router-choose-players-connect-advanced-warfare/

It may not answer all your questions though so feel free to ask away.

I understand the request re numbers but I don't think anyone has gone to that length.

But people have searched with the Netduma and geo-filter off to see what their game was doing in some instances. Games were connecting to hosts around the world. People in USA were connecting to Europe / South American / Australia etc and Europe to USA / Africa / Emirates etc. Me personally, the worst I see was a connection to Osaka in Japan (I'm in UK).

The Geo-filter puts that in your control and you limit the distance to a host you are prepared to accept. In the simplest of networking terms, greater distance = more latency. Control the distance and you have a shot at connecting to good hosts.

Hopefully that helps.

Dude, just buy the router.  Hands down, it's the best money you can spend if you want to improve your gaming experience.  If you have ever bought a monitor, tv, custom game controller, headset, XIM, or whatever to game with, this router is money better spent.  Have you seen anyone on this forum express any regrets about getting one?  Some have already bought more than one.  The last 3 years before I got this router I was constantly frustrated by the horrible matchmaking system that was in place with my favorite game series, COD.  Rage quitting, swearing, ranting on the forums for the makers to fix their broken system, all of this is now gone.  There are still some bad connections but much more frequently I have a good connections and a good experience.  Unless something changes and the game makers decide to build in a similar system into their game and give the players some control over their lobbies, this router is the only thing that gives you any control over what kind of connections you are going to get.

Dude, just buy the router.  Hands down, it's the best money you can spend if you want to improve your gaming experience.  If you have ever bought a monitor, tv, custom game controller, headset, XIM, or whatever to game with, this router is money better spent.  Have you seen anyone on this forum express any regrets about getting one?  Some have already bought more than one.  The last 3 years before I got this router I was constantly frustrated by the horrible matchmaking system that was in place with my favorite game series, COD.  Rage quitting, swearing, ranting on the forums for the makers to fix their broken system, all of this is now gone.  There are still some bad connections but much more frequently I have a good connections and a good experience.  Unless something changes and the game makers decide to build in a similar system into their game and give the players some control over their lobbies, this router is the only thing that gives you any control over what kind of connections you are going to get.

+1 :)

I have to echo others here, I was skeptical before hand abut how much a Netduma would actually work, I thought it was a case of the old snake oil, BUT after having it a little under a week and playing CoD with it I can tell you it has improved my experiences no end.

No longer do I get put into European lobbies (I am in the UK midlands) and I was like a lamb to the slaughter in these German/Italian/French/Spanish hosted lobbies due to not even being able to react in time to when you see these players and when they see you. Now I am the one dodging bullets like Neo because I am connected to a host here in the UK (my geo filter is set to about 328km from my location), it's made me enjoy it a lot more now, and the only reason I am dying too much is because I am running around thinking I am John Rambo and invincible (sadly the R1 doesn't do this) I need to stop thinking I'm invincible, then I'm sure my KD will increase, because in those early games I tested out I went massively positive when I played like I normally do.

It's a massive to joy to see thise little yellow and black triangles showing a foreign host has been blocked.

To go back to the Matrix theme it always makes me think of a conversation between Morpheus and Neo and it goes like this:

Do you want to know what it is?

It's that feeling you have had all your life. That feeling that something was wrong with the world. You don't know what it is but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad,driving you here. But what is it?

The Lag is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this room.You can see it on your xbox, or on your PC. You feel it when you play CoD, or go to watch a YouTube video. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Netduma R1 is. You have to see it for yourself.

You click the blue back button and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe.

You click the red buy now button and you stay in Wonderland and they show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

:D  :lol:

It's that feeling you have had all your life. That feeling that something was wrong with the world. You don't know what it is but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad,driving you here. But what is it?

The Lag is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this room.You can see it on your xbox, or on your PC. You feel it when you play CoD, or go to watch a YouTube video. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Netduma R1 is. You have to see it for yourself.

You click the blue back button and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe.

You click the red buy now button and you stay in Wonderland and they show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Luke or Adam should take the quote and sticky it up under pre-sales questions, this is perfect!  ;)

Guest Netduma Luke

Hahaha. You should work in marketing sir. The red buy button at the end was ingenious.

Hi,

I'm considering buying this router, but I am looking for a technical in-depth review even at this early stage. Has anyone compiled average ping times to host versus ping times without geo-filtering? I usually sway towards hard numbers and technical pieces rather than opinions, but I have no doubt this router improves the gaming experience especially in CoD. But I just want to know to what degree by numbers and testing does this router help someone like me who lives in Texas with plenty of players around me to connect to.

I've looked at just about every video there is and they don't get too technical, but they've been good at giving the overall picture: don't expect there to be perfect connection lobbies, but do expect more consistency in hit registrations. I just want some numbers and in-depthiness to this opinion to persuade me further.

Thanks

JUST BUY THE R1. You won't be disappointed. I bought 2 just in case my first one konks out....at least I have a back up! :D

The only thing you need to worry about is if you have a life beyond gaming (especially if you're a COD AW player). Once you get your hands on an R1, you won't have a life. You'll be having too much fun KICKING PLAYERS ASS (especially clans that talk TRASH when there together). When you hear nothing but silence afterwards is what makes the R1.....PRICELESS!!!!

Attached is a photo of all the areas (represented with the yellow triangles) where COD AW would have paired me up with.  With the geo-filter setup, I'm only playing with players in the California area.  Being that I live in Hawaii, I don't have choice as to who I play with.  California is the 2nd best place to be paired with unless I pull a local host.  Being that you are from Texas, you connection would be INSANE!!!!!!!

post-253-0-24787700-1421773719_thumb.jpg

Have to agree with everyone else here and not just cuz i own one.The duma will make your gaming experience what it should be...fun not frustrating.

It will match you with players or on a dedi that is in your set GF range.So you won't get matched with people in South America anymore as this was a constant for me and i'm from Michigan.

And with congestion control you don't have to work about your wife or kids streaming netflix as your gaming.And we all know what happens during that time on the gaming end,your pretty much done.Now you can control the bandwith so your gaming doesn't suffer or the streaming doesn't suffer,happy wife...happy life

And with the network monitor you can actually see how much of your bandwith is being taken up by streaming or other things going on in your house.Until i saw it i would not have believed it.It's real time live graphs of your network usage.

I was on the fence / suspect of the too good to be true features of the duma,but that was until i used it.Like someone above said "well worth the money" if you like to game and actually enjoy it,don't be afraid to pull the trigger on the duma.

A couple of thing's that weren't mentioned that i think is important is what the duma won't do for you...

Number 1-it won't make you the best player on the planet.If your not very good don't expect to plug it in and go god mode instantly.But it will make the gun fights fair,so when you die you think ya i got outplayed.And that's the best part for me,it equals the playing field as much as it can be on a multi player game online.

And the second thing the duma won't do is make you sorry you purchased it.Great community and support with people more than willing to go out of their way to help and provide feedback.This product sells it self after 1 gaming session

Well, shit.  I guess I'll have to buy it then if you guys are praising it THAT much :P.  Haven't seen any negative reviews yet, so that's promising.  The only problem I'm seeing is that it sells out way too quick, which I'm happy about for Netduma.  I had an e-mail come in last month/early this month about stock and apparently 4 minutes was too late!  Kinda been discouraged since then and thought I would be able to snag one by now, but this stuff must be selling like hotcakes for good reason (or I'm just too slow).  So my impulse buy has been way down and I've been looking for the more technical reviews as an excuse not to get one, but man you guys are making it hard.

When can we expect to see a steady supply?  I always miss it.

To the poster in DFW area, I live in Marshall, Texas (blech).  I think it would be cool to play with someone in Texas.  Too bad I'm on the PS4.

Thanks for the replies!

@ psygn if your not already sign up on their e-mail notification list.That way you'll know when their back in stock,and just make sure your on the sight at 8 GMT and be ready to click some buttons.

Well, shit.  I guess I'll have to buy it then if you guys are praising it THAT much :P.  Haven't seen any negative reviews yet, so that's promising.  The only problem I'm seeing is that it sells out way too quick, which I'm happy about for Netduma.  I had an e-mail come in last month/early this month about stock and apparently 4 minutes was too late!  Kinda been discouraged since then and thought I would be able to snag one by now, but this stuff must be selling like hotcakes for good reason (or I'm just too slow).  So my impulse buy has been way down and I've been looking for the more technical reviews as an excuse not to get one, but man you guys are making it hard.

To the poster in DFW area, I live in Marshall, Texas (blech).  I think it would be cool to play with someone in Texas.  Too bad I'm on the PS4.

Thanks for the replies!

As of right now (I just checked), the store is open and still have a few in stock!  Best bet, order it now!!!! 

Guest Netduma Luke

Thanks for the replies!

Great to hear. We've made a big effort to get a more steady supply in so the shop should be open a lot more now. I can't promise it will always be - if a review goes out from a big Youtuber for example then our stock might go quickly but for now anyway, we're trying to keep the shop open as much as we can.

Great to hear. We've made a big effort to get a more steady supply in so the shop should be open a lot more now. I can't promise it will always be - if a review goes out from a big Youtuber for example then our stock might go quickly but for now anyway, we're trying to keep the shop open as much as we can.

I'd prefer if you stop selling them altogether now I've got one :P

Seriously though, I'm excited about mine when it gets here, very rarely does a product have such high praise and does what it says on the tin.  Well done lads

i started thinking about buying a backup. If something were to happen to my netduma, I'd be inconsolable.

Thanks,now i'm thinking the same thing.I doubt i'd play AW if something were to happen to my duma.Due to the fact that i know how good the game can run now and i know the lobbies i could be put into

As of right now (I just checked), the store is open and still have a few in stock!  Best bet, order it now!!!! 

I just checked and they had some in stock.  Maybe I just checked at all the wrong times.  Bought one and will give it a whirl; thanks!

Archived