NEW XR700 BETA FIRMWARE: 3.3.363

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, user12a said:

I tried it. Still no wifi.  It only turns off and on the lights at the 2 buttons at the end.  The 2.4 and 5 wifi lights are still dim the same way.  iwconfig tells me that there is no wireless extensions.  Can you find out and tell me what is the router shell command to manually turn on and off the wi-fi ?  I know this for the R9000, same HW, but apparently it is different for the Duma OS.

Also note that the antenna red lights are on even though there is no wifi.

It's not usually something we give out and I don't know what that command is unfortunately, it may be worth using TFTP to reinstall the firmware as there may be an issue in boot which that would bypass

There is no problem downgrading and upgrading FW in the normal interface,  Usually the TFTP method is not reliable as the handshake is not always established.  

I just need to get my XR700 wifi fixed as it is relating directly to loading the Duma update bin.  I had no problem previously but seem to be relating to this 3.3.363 bin specifically.  It was working perfectly until I tried this 3.3.363 bin.  This is an expensive router to be broken like this.  I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this bin upgrade without this issue being fixed.

Can you send me a new bin that can fix the wifi ?  Apparently you guys are aware of this issue.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, user12a said:

There is no problem downgrading and upgrading FW in the normal interface,  Usually the TFTP method is not reliable as the handshake is not always established.  

I just need to get my XR700 wifi fixed as it is relating directly to loading the Duma update bin.  I had no problem previously but seem to be relating to this 3.3.363 bin specifically.  It was working perfectly until I tried this 3.3.363 bin.  This is an expensive router to be broken like this.  I wouldn't recommend anyone else try this bin upgrade without this issue being fixed.

Can you send me a new bin that can fix the wifi ?  Apparently you guys are aware of this issue.

TFTP bypasses the boot process which is where the issue may be so it has a higher chance of resolving the issue than standard upgrading, the above example has a good rate of the firmware successfully applying. It's not specifically the beta, anytime this issue has happened in the past has been because an update was done but not any specific update. WiFi is a Netgear setting so it's not something we have the power to change and even then it's not something that could be fixed immediately. As the XR700 is no longer being produced I doubt NG will be making many new firmware versions. The TFTP option is the best chance for success in this scenario as it is more of a hardware issue I believe.

It was not easy to do TFTP.  I tried multiple times following Netgear’s instructions with tftpf64 and the simple procedure for nmrpflash  (thanks e38BimmerFN).  Both methods failed to load the new bin.  However I finally followed the boot recovery procedure using nmrpflash and I was able to successfully load the new 3.3 bin overwriting the old bin.

*** However this tftp load did NOT fix my WiFi after hours spent!  Still no WiFi. ***

All 3 WiFi mode lights 2.5/5/60 come on immediately after the power button is pressed, with the 2.5/5 lights come on dimmer at about half intensity.  Normally these lights should not come on at the beginning of boot.  They stay the same throughout during boot before the antennae red lights come on and after boot the same way.  As I mentioned before, iwconfig showed no wireless connection.

Somehow the new 3.3 really did something very wrong.  This problem is not independent of bin versions as you suggested, may be very specific to this new bin.   I did not have any problem upgrading multiple bins before.

Anyway  I need a method to fix the WiFi specifically as this bin killed my WiFi.

nmrpLoad.jpg

• Administrators

It's not specific to this beta I know that for certain, otherwise we would have had a lot more people experiencing it, however you will find on the Netgear site people who have experienced the same thing with other versions. For whatever reason an upgrade can sometimes trigger it to not work. As of yet I have seen no permanent fix for this and I have advised everyone who has experienced it in the past to contact Netgear about it. Given the XR700 is no longer made it's unlikely they would be able to provide a replacement if you were within the warranty period. As I mentioned WiFi isn't our domain so I will pass it on for a dev to have a look but I don't like the odds that they'll be able to do anything. They're also very busy so may not have a chance to look at it until next week.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:08 AM, user12a said:

Have you downgraded back to NG stock FW? The last version that was released from NG? 

Last version was .50 for the XR700. 

I presume if that fails as well, the wifi radio maybe a bust. If this is the case, only option would be to disable all radios on the XR router, then connect up a different router or wifi MESH and configure AP mode on this system and connect it to the XR router. Then you can continue to use the router portion. Besides there are better wifi systems than the XRs radios. I wasn't really impressed with the used one I got several months ago. Even with Dumas Beta loaded.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, user12a said:

I have downgraded back to NG's V1.01.20 FW that still has telnet accessible.
WiFi still no go.

Will have to try different things.

Here is another topic where someone had the exact same issue 2 years ago and this comment specifically explains why it may be a problem:

On 10/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, Newfie said:

The XR700 is based of the R9000 which had amplified ariels which was a known issue. I believe they exchange them in warranty but outside they don’t offer repair which means a new router. 

So probably best to contact Netgear and see what they can do.

Random question for everyone as well but mainly for Fraser. Is it a known issue where the router disconnects on the latest beta firmware? It seems to have gotten a lot more frequent in the past 2/3 weeks where it almost always requires me to do a clean install of the beta firmware once sometimes even twice as well as messing around with other things to get it to work. Just wondered if this was known or not?

Any other updates on when this would be a full release or this still only going top be a beta? 

@Netduma Fraser

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, killaninja58 said:

Random question for everyone as well but mainly for Fraser. Is it a known issue where the router disconnects on the latest beta firmware? It seems to have gotten a lot more frequent in the past 2/3 weeks where it almost always requires me to do a clean install of the beta firmware once sometimes even twice as well as messing around with other things to get it to work. Just wondered if this was known or not?

Any other updates on when this would be a full release or this still only going top be a beta? 

@Netduma Fraser

No not specifically, it's most likely the DHCP issue though, do this: In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I don't know what the plans are specifically regarding what NG want to do as it is not made anymore they may not wish to put in further resources.

On 9/18/2023 at 9:17 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

No not specifically, it's most likely the DHCP issue though, do this: In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I don't know what the plans are specifically regarding what NG want to do as it is not made anymore they may not wish to put in further resources.

Hi Fraser, I appreciate the advise! Although I have tried this and it still doesn't work. I've manually changed the IP address' of all of my devices as well as my partner's and it is still causing issue's. I've tried reverting back to the .50 firmware from netgear which was the last official release but it just reboots the router and doesn't actually perform the firmware upgrade/downgrade. I have also tried the hard reset button which, again, only resulted in the router rebooting. Any other advice to roll back to the official release?

After remoting into my computer from work, I was able to upload the last official NG release and it worked. I have no idea as to why it wasn't working whilst I was physically in front of the computer and router -.-

Edited by killaninja58
Router decided to co-operate -.-

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, killaninja58 said:

Hi Fraser, I appreciate the advise! Although I have tried this and it still doesn't work. I've manually changed the IP address' of all of my devices as well as my partner's and it is still causing issue's. I've tried reverting back to the .50 firmware from netgear which was the last official release but it just reboots the router and doesn't actually perform the firmware upgrade/downgrade. I have also tried the hard reset button which, again, only resulted in the router rebooting. Any other advice to roll back to the official release?

After remoting into my computer from work, I was able to upload the last official NG release and it worked. I have no idea as to why it wasn't working whilst I was physically in front of the computer and router -.-

That is very strange but glad to hear it is working now! If it is the DHCP issue though I would expect it to return though not everyone seems to experience it, do keep an eye on it.

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That is very strange but glad to hear it is working now! If it is the DHCP issue though I would expect it to return though not everyone seems to experience it, do keep an eye on it.

If that is the case and it does indeed return, what would be the cause of action for me to take? Reset all of the IP address' manually between .2 and .49 and set the router to .50 again? Although after trying that on the beta firmware, it didn't work, but it was a beta.

Is there any other beta FW's being released for the XR700?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, killaninja58 said:

If that is the case and it does indeed return, what would be the cause of action for me to take? Reset all of the IP address' manually between .2 and .49 and set the router to .50 again? Although after trying that on the beta firmware, it didn't work, but it was a beta.

Is there any other beta FW's being released for the XR700?

Yes the same thing but if it doesn't work then disable DHCP entirely so it just relies on the reservation - that should work on the beta also - we haven't changed any Netgear settings.

That's up to Netgear really but I think we'd be keen to.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes the same thing but if it doesn't work then disable DHCP entirely so it just relies on the reservation - that should work on the beta also - we haven't changed any Netgear settings.

That's up to Netgear really but I think we'd be keen to.

Okay, perfect. So just so that I have gotten this correct, I would disable the below screenshot?image.png.392860a71287c3e2d29306973fd0803d.png

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, killaninja58 said:

Okay, perfect. So just so that I have gotten this correct, I would disable the below screenshot?image.png.392860a71287c3e2d29306973fd0803d.png

Yes that's correct. Any devices you would want to connect after that you would need to set a static IP on the device first so it can connect, then you can give it a reservation on the router.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's correct. Any devices you would want to connect after that you would need to set a static IP on the device first so it can connect, then you can give it a reservation on the router.

Hi Fraser,

I've now tried it on the beta as well as on the original Official firmware released by Netgear. Both firmware's are having issues with what seems to be DHCP. I've tried configuring every device to have it's own static IP address as well as changing the range from .1-.254 to .2-.49 and setting the router's IP to .50. 

Along with trying this I have also tried what you had mentioned above about disabling DHCP entirely and that still hasn't worked out at all and is still causing issues for me. Is there any news on a release for this fix from the Duma team or is this an issue with the NetGear Official firmware? If so then what would be the most stable Official firmware from NetGear released?

If there isn't one then I'm about done with this router. I like the features of it, but the constant down time when I'm working from home is not ideal, at all as you could imagine. Is there a different router with Duma OS built into it which is more stable and has a lot less issues or just go back to the standard ISP issued router?

image.png.f2d82f0cdd9e3013c21dd7a0dd76ac90.png

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, killaninja58 said:

Hi Fraser,

I've now tried it on the beta as well as on the original Official firmware released by Netgear. Both firmware's are having issues with what seems to be DHCP. I've tried configuring every device to have it's own static IP address as well as changing the range from .1-.254 to .2-.49 and setting the router's IP to .50. 

Along with trying this I have also tried what you had mentioned above about disabling DHCP entirely and that still hasn't worked out at all and is still causing issues for me. Is there any news on a release for this fix from the Duma team or is this an issue with the NetGear Official firmware? If so then what would be the most stable Official firmware from NetGear released?

If there isn't one then I'm about done with this router. I like the features of it, but the constant down time when I'm working from home is not ideal, at all as you could imagine. Is there a different router with Duma OS built into it which is more stable and has a lot less issues or just go back to the standard ISP issued router?

image.png.f2d82f0cdd9e3013c21dd7a0dd76ac90.png

You didn't need to change the IP address to .50, that might be confusing it so change that back to .1 just in case to see if it then works (apply, reboot from interface, wait 4 minutes then monitor). If it happens again grab a log from System Information please. Unfortunately it's purely on the Netgear side so nothing we can resolve on our own and we haven't heard anything further about them sorting this. It's possible you could experience this on any firmware version so I don't have one I could specifically recommend.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You didn't need to change the IP address to .50, that might be confusing it so change that back to .1 just in case to see if it then works (apply, reboot from interface, wait 4 minutes then monitor). If it happens again grab a log from System Information please. Unfortunately it's purely on the Netgear side so nothing we can resolve on our own and we haven't heard anything further about them sorting this. It's possible you could experience this on any firmware version so I don't have one I could specifically recommend.

Hi Fraser, 

I tried that before changing it to .50. This did nothing unfortunately, would there be a better router for me to get other than the xr700?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, killaninja58 said:

Hi Fraser, 

I tried that before changing it to .50. This did nothing unfortunately, would there be a better router for me to get other than the xr700?

If you grab the log when it happens next I can see if it's pointing to anything else. Better is subjective, depends what your priorities are software or hardware, we always recommend our router for software or the XR range for hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Few things I have noticed...

If I hard reset and factory reset.

Configure my router with the wizard.

Sign into the router.

Visit the QOS and try to disable dumaos classified gaming i get the following error.

image.thumb.png.a4532f1c1e0d979d1e9016d5aad362e4.png

The same will happen for cloud gaming but different error.

image.thumb.png.fba0504fe08e7f741a9e5da817d916b3.png

The same will happen for  work at home but different error.

image.thumb.png.9a37660e5650f33363b8ca2aa4aad708.png

I have also noticed an error when trying to resync device manager with the cloud.

image.thumb.png.e17913130eb515ffe10a53e6a2e9a73a.png

I have been having some packet loss in fortnite battler royal and save the world versions.

Geo-Filter

added my home address

added my computer for fortnite filtering

but it never shows a server or any connection...

image.thumb.png.8684f6e2c5e8e6cb1477a8ccf4e8d3e6.png

If i visit the ping heatmap and kick off a manual ping for fortnite i can see there are supposed to be some servers near me.

image.thumb.png.02cf193dfa45ac0fb5aec2066f4268e8.png

Why am i not seeing the server i am connecting to in the geo filter?

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, longplaypg said:

Few things I have noticed...

If I hard reset and factory reset.

Configure my router with the wizard.

Sign into the router.

Visit the QOS and try to disable dumaos classified gaming i get the following error.

The same will happen for cloud gaming but different error.

The same will happen for  work at home but different error.

I have also noticed an error when trying to resync device manager with the cloud.

I have been having some packet loss in fortnite battler royal and save the world versions.

Geo-Filter

added my home address

added my computer for fortnite filtering

but it never shows a server or any connection...

If i visit the ping heatmap and kick off a manual ping for fortnite i can see there are supposed to be some servers near me.

Why am i not seeing the server i am connecting to in the geo filter?

It looks like you're using Chrome which may be forcing you to connect to the interface with HTTPS which could be causing the errors, follow this to make sure it connects using HTTP:

https://howchoo.com/webdev/stop-chrome-from-automatically-redirecting-https/

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if you can see servers. However, the way Fortnite works is that it only tries to connect to a server when you're actually loading into the game and so that is the only time it can be blocked so you are kicked back to the lobby. For Fortnite it's best to disable filtering mode but still use it to find out what server you're on, if it's too far away then you could quit and re-search until you find the server you want. This would actually be quicker than letting the Geo-Filter kick you.