Horrible Router

I have had my XR1000 for a bit over a year now and it has been nothing but trouble.  Looking at switching to another brand.    I keep it current,  on 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 and still issues like:

1. Network slows to a crawl, try to login to the router and  get device not found using the ip address or routerlogin.net

2. Once I am in the router, 80% of the time any tool I try to use, especially Device Manager times out with an error saying:  "This RAPP is not loaded yet please try again in a minute" and no matter how long I wait or try it never loads until I've restarted the router several times ( and YES, I reboot it through the Settings/Administration tool and dont do a cold-hard unplug)

I've seen on several forums/posts where support is saying to do a factory reset!!!   That is a bull$hit answer.    ridiculous to tell people to factory reset and have to re set up their whole network just because Netgear cant put out a quality product or at least fix what they sell!

All we can do is hope that whenever the next firmware update is released it will solve problems. If nothing recommended helps your experience you can be like me or try another brand out. I personally switched back to my isp provided hardware until things get better. I know it’s not what we want to do or hear but we are at the bottom of the totem pole. Good luck

Thanks for the reply.   Sad we spend the big bucks for a router that is supposedly rated “Best”  and can’t even use it properly because the OS on it sucks.      Def will not recommend Netgear, lack of support is disappointing

I couldn't deny anything further from the truth this is an issue on Netgear do to the fact they want they're os on top of the dumaos and it just doesn't work whenever you run in to they're os it just causes issues. The biggest problem of all is then netgear and netduma testing were after netduma does the testing they have to wait for netgear to do they're testing which who knows what they're testing like u serious? I mean if it an employee testing it and there are no betas how else do you find bugs and report them to be fixed except and employee of they're company who might be half assing they're job.

Then another issue is the hardware they don't got full control of it it like untapped potential from my understand like they're one cpu never really gets used as well CPU 3 it some packet inspection like that sounds mad dumb a CPU for packet inspection only being used at less than 5%

I understand that the reason for netduma partnership with netgear is do to the fact they have the influence to afford better hardware but at what cost does it come to bite you in the ass?

Then there are the XR300 AND XR700 LEFT TO DUST

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Maxx said:

I have had my XR1000 for a bit over a year now and it has been nothing but trouble.  Looking at switching to another brand.    I keep it current,  on 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 and still issues like:

1. Network slows to a crawl, try to login to the router and  get device not found using the ip address or routerlogin.net

2. Once I am in the router, 80% of the time any tool I try to use, especially Device Manager times out with an error saying:  "This RAPP is not loaded yet please try again in a minute" and no matter how long I wait or try it never loads until I've restarted the router several times ( and YES, I reboot it through the Settings/Administration tool and dont do a cold-hard unplug)

I've seen on several forums/posts where support is saying to do a factory reset!!!   That is a bull$hit answer.    ridiculous to tell people to factory reset and have to re set up their whole network just because Netgear cant put out a quality product or at least fix what they sell!

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

1. Could you explain what you mean by it moving to a crawl? 

That error usually occurs when you delete a device from the Device Manager when you still have it added to a feature like the Geo-Filter or Traffic Prioritization for example. If you delete it from these places first before deleting the device on the Device Manager it will prevent the issue happening. Instead of factory resetting to resolve it if you connect the device back to the router in the same way as it was connected previously e.g. 2.4GHz/5GHz or ethernet and give it the same device name and device type that will stop the error appearing.
  2. It might be best for you to re-install the firmware so it's a completely fresh installation, possible that it didn't upload correctly. Go to the System Information page and then in the Rapp panel menu ≡ change the retries to 5, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes before accessing and it should also happen less.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming this is not an April fools joke... Also feels like I'm a fool for purchasing the XR1000.

I've now owned mine for over a year and it's been THE worse router I've ever owned.

I purchase it for QoS - seems that is no good as my daughters phone on WiFi can cause the ping on my Cat5'd machine to reach 400+.

However on top of this setting up timeframes to block machines or manually blocking them is utterly inconsistent.

Sometimes they are blocked, sometimes not. Often blocking one machine will block another (random!) device on our network.

My Android tablet frequently gets kicked off the WiFi and is not assigned an IP address until the router is rebooted.

I do not expect a fix for any of these issues either - it seems us customers have simply been beta testers for the unfinished, and still entirely buggy OS.

I'm very disappointed in Netgear, I used to swear by their products but this - very expensive - router has single handedly undone everything.

Last Netgear product I purchase - if any admin reads this please just forward my dissatisfaction back to the management.

Regards.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Fugs said:

Assuming this is not an April fools joke... Also feels like I'm a fool for purchasing the XR1000.

I've now owned mine for over a year and it's been THE worse router I've ever owned.

I purchase it for QoS - seems that is no good as my daughters phone on WiFi can cause the ping on my Cat5'd machine to reach 400+.

However on top of this setting up timeframes to block machines or manually blocking them is utterly inconsistent.

Sometimes they are blocked, sometimes not. Often blocking one machine will block another (random!) device on our network.

My Android tablet frequently gets kicked off the WiFi and is not assigned an IP address until the router is rebooted.

I do not expect a fix for any of these issues either - it seems us customers have simply been beta testers for the unfinished, and still entirely buggy OS.

I'm very disappointed in Netgear, I used to swear by their products but this - very expensive - router has single handedly undone everything.

Last Netgear product I purchase - if any admin reads this please just forward my dissatisfaction back to the management.

Regards.

If you're having issues do make a post and I'm sure we can get you sorted, previously you did get Traffic Controller working, is that no longer the case?

Not a joke unfortunately.  Absolute waste of a lot of Money.   I’ve had the replacement (ASUS  RT-AX86U Pro) running for a little over a week now.   The difference is night and day!!!!    Speed s and throughout both wireless and wired has doubled.   No device drops or wireless drops

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same exact issues since I purchased my XR1000 1 year ago. It's such a trash OS, it's ridiculous. There's hundreds of the same reports, and yet still no fix other than "reinstall the firmware", which does not work. 

Yep… that’s all Netgear support says. That is not a “fix”.  They are as bad as Microsoft when they tell you to reinstall the OS.    Netgear is absolutely not taking any responsibility for the trash they sold.   Someday, these big companies will realize that the general public would much rather they be upfront about inadequacies in their product, admit their mistake, rectify te issue ( whether that means a full refund to every customer or a true fix).   Sure…: they will lose money at first , but in the long run, they will have earned the customers trust and those customers will continue to be customers

Might give more details on what your having problems with the XR. 

Iv'e not see major issues with my XR1000. Works well. 

Factory resets are a valid troubleshooting step. There maybe some mis-cofigurations or something that causes the router to stop working right. Seen this MANY times where a reset solves many issues. Also how the router is configured is important as well. And what the router is connected too on the ISP side can impact any router as well. There are some things can could help. But ya know, can't lead a horse. 

Can't always blame the router. 🙄

The ISP side should be checked first thing, signals and line quality and modem or ONT configurations. Cabling then configuration of the router. Factory reset set and setup from scratch. Limit making lots of changes right off the bat. 

I've seen others post good working XR1000s so not everyone has problems. 

Spoken like someone who did not read the post(s) thoroughly.      My last follow up indicated I replaced this router with an Asus RT-AX82U Pro , which worked perfect,  out of the box.     The issues with the Netgear are/were Netgear /Dumba$$ OS related, plain and simple.     Constant disconnects, very slow throughout ( as I mentioned earlier, most of my connections to the router are via Ethernet )  and the Dumba$$ utility being so extremely slow, when it worked at all.  Once I removed the Netgear and replaced it with the Asus, I have had ZERO issues, period!         It took me maybe one hour to set up the replacement and have not had to do a re-set yet ( other than when we lose power due to weather)

Doesn't explain anything. Would need to know more about your ISP and configuration. Could have just a faulty unit from the beginning. Still hard to tell with out more info and details

But sounds like you've moved on so, enjoy ASUS then. 

Glad mine works. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, robert27841 said:

NetDuma Belike:

1*JnkmKTU7MEdC4vLUUv6Uig.jpg

That had me cracking up hard just like the movie wolf in the wall streets though if you prove them the error with evidence and replicate they'll fix it as for moderators they're like the people in the office in India they'll get you to hang up not all of course but that the world we live were you can get fake majors and get a job and waste company resources and get paid while doing so and only have couple of individuals that know what they're doing. I don't like to be too critical but they're points were you have to in order to see innovation even in games it hilarious how companies are making more than ever and releasing garbage and after 5 years boohoo there an actual good game/ end of the generations.

Shadow ban message don't care that my opinion cry me a river I speak nothing but the truth

To be honest, it's funny to see you trying hard to fill your personal frustration!

As they say in France: "Le ridicule ne tue pas"!

As for making you stronger... In your case, that has yet to be proven.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, Fuzy said:

I confirm, the "problems" are generally on the "keyboard/chair" side...

Such a great statement from a forum "moderator"...
I've been coding for 35 years, building/repairing PCs for 25ish, overclocking for 15....but pointing the PEBCAC finger is easy isn't it.

On 4/11/2023 at 5:46 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're having issues do make a post and I'm sure we can get you sorted, previously you did get Traffic Controller working, is that no longer the case?

As mentioned, quite inconsistent. Once my tablet can't connect I have to reboot the router, then half the time you can kiss any working config goodbye.
Not spending further time on it...when I have the spare cash I'll swap it out.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Fugs said:

As mentioned, quite inconsistent. Once my tablet can't connect I have to reboot the router, then half the time you can kiss any working config goodbye.
Not spending further time on it...when I have the spare cash I'll swap it out.

How are you rebooting exactly? What changes after a reboot? We're happy to help if you wish to troubleshoot but understand if you don't, the next firmware isn't far off now so may be worth a try when that is available.