Gaming monitor

RolidSnake

So... I want to buy a gaming monitor (that doesn't break the bank) but I also want it to double up as a secondary monitor for my Mac (for design and audio production).

I'm currently using my old 42" LG LED but it's way too big and the response time/refresh rate isn't the greatest anymore.

I've found this one and was wondering if I could have some feedback from anyone who has more knowledge on the subject!

http://www.box.co.uk/BenQ_RL2455HM_24_Widescreen_Full_HD_Ga_1492746.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwueytBRCmpOyZ2L-xrG8SJADwH5c6BAihjOeIU7h8WkDCd7sxRm1IWsPQJMLmiYZW0g4RHBoCh8rw_wcB

Thanks in advance!

:)

So... I want to buy a gaming monitor (that doesn't break the bank) but I also want it to double up as a secondary monitor for my Mac (for design and audio production).

I'm currently using my old 42" LG LED but it's way too big and the response time/refresh rate isn't the greatest anymore.

I've found this one and was wondering if I could have some feedback from anyone who has more knowledge on the subject!

http://www.box.co.uk/BenQ_RL2455HM_24_Widescreen_Full_HD_Ga_1492746.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwueytBRCmpOyZ2L-xrG8SJADwH5c6BAihjOeIU7h8WkDCd7sxRm1IWsPQJMLmiYZW0g4RHBoCh8rw_wcB

Thanks in advance!

If you're gaming on console the RL2455HM is the best monitor you can get besides the RL2460HT. I prefer the RL2460HT because of the adjustments you can make with the stand as well as having HDMI output.

For PC you'll want something with 120 or 144hz refresh rate though so don't go with those. Console can only do 60hz so the RL2460HT is perfect.

I went ahead and ordered the RL2455HM after reading a few threads on this forum.

I'll using it for my PS4 mainly. The RL2460HT looks sweet, but the RL2455HM ticks all the boxes for me.

Wow...

What a difference with that monitor makes!

Placebo or not I was getting 20+ killstreaks on a regular basis tonight.

I could see in areas which used to be black. No longer am I getting duped by campers!

And the colours... Wow!

Will post my settings up soon for others to try out.

Here's my setting is anyone ever wants to test them out:

Picture mode: Movie (I like the way the colours pop in this mode)

Brightness: between 70 and 80 depending on lighting (but this is totally up to you)

Contrast: 50

Sharpness: 7

Black EQ: 15-20 for CoD games (bye bye campers!)/ 10 for other games

Colour Temp: R-92 G-90 B-93

Reset Colour: NO

AMA: High

Instant Mode: ON

Senseye Demo: OFF

Dynamic Contrast: 0

Overscan: OFF

Display Mode: Full

You guys are great! :P  Based on all the information, links and opinions you provided I took your recommendations did some on line research to see the reviews and checkout pricing. 
Today I ordered my monitor a BENQ RL2755HM - got it through www.shop.ca and the price was $309; better than Amazon or Bestbuy. 

Can't wait for it to get here - got my space set up for it just "a-waiting".  This is great as it will take some of the mess out of my front room which looks like a NASA Center.

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

It arrived and I set it up last night!  Great news after I ordered it the price dropped another $10 - $299 CAD :)  Anyway I got set up and played some Ghosts and in spite of swearing off AW played some in there.  Games were OK but I found the blur really distracting - gave me vertigo!  I found some info on Google and will try changing the AMA setting to high or even off; hope it helps.  Also I found the colour a little washed out for me (I basically followed "quickfaith's" recommendations above) however my eyesight isn't what it use to be and besides I am totally blind in one eye so this may take some playing around with to get it right for me.

Love the set up in my office and I am hoping to use it as a second monitor for my iMac (also 27").

I will post to share my findings once things settle.

Thanks to everyone once again...

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

Games were OK but I found the blur really distracting - gave me vertigo!  I found some info on Google and will try changing the AMA setting to high or even off; hope it helps.  Also I found the colour a little washed out  for me (I basically followed "quickfaith's" recommendations above) however my eyesight isn't what it use to be and besides I am totally blind in one eye so this may take some playing around with to get it right for me.

Hey Dark,

I recently tested a couple of BenQ monitors with the primary goal of reduced motion blur for console gaming (As close to CRT as possible).  If the primary goal is to reduce motion blur and you don't mind reduced brightness/color, flicker (CRT like flicker) you may want to take a look at several options below.

24 inch - XL2411z & XL2420z both with firmware V2 & above

27 inch - XL2720z firmware V2 & above

For FPS supremacy, 144hz, 1080p, and reduce motion blur goodness the monitors above are pretty much the best for the PC crowd.  For Witcher 3, Skyrim, LOL, and such there are other options such as IPS since motion blur isn't the main goal though these aren't too bad at all once motion blur reduction is turned off.

While the 120+hz only works for PC, these work magnificently for consoles that push 60 FPS native(COD/BF).  Though a utility is available, it is not necessary as the "service menu" also provides the same options though a bit more cumbersome.  When motion blur reduction is turned on, it reduces light output & turning on "Single Strobe" further reduces to about 110-120 cd/m though using the menu/utility you may brighten it more to you liking (1.5persistence or strobe duty 10-15 for me with 0 phase).  

You can check out motion blur for your monitor here - UFO test.  Change to street map and try to read and it's pretty much a no go.

Most monitors will look like this

The monitors above will look like this with motion blur reduction/single strobe on.  Not only that, you can read street signs LOL!  

After purchasing both the XL2720z & 2411Z, they are definitely the best for FPS console/PC in regards to motion blur. 2420z is pretty much an updated 2411z with new controls and don't think it's worth the increase in price.  I ended up sending both back to Amazon since I want to get my PC rig ready as well and want a 1440p 120+hz monitor but has the same features for console (single strobe/blur reduction).  The current BenQ 2730z does not have this and hopefully can be added to the firmware in the future by the time the Pascal GPU architecture is out which I'll surely buy.

If anyone is interested in a monitor for console 60fps gaming then these are your best options.

I'm back to my 27" IPS AOC 2757FH which input lag isn't a problem (most monitors nowadays have negligible input lag) however I'm sorely missing the blur reduction mode.  Sure it's being used in 60hz mode just like the BenQ's however there's now a visible haze vs the clarity I had before.  Seriously crossing my fingers BenQ fixes the 2730z to include the single strobe/blur reduction so I can buy it ASAP.  If not, I'll wait a little longer for the 2411z to lower in price and get that instead.

Thanks Zio, I will try to work with this RL for now and if I can't get it tuned better I will look at exchanging it I have 30 days and I can exchange it if I want.  Just a lot more money!

Played to day and the change in the AMA seemed to help a bit will try some other things as well.

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

Thanks Zio, I will try to work with this RL for now and if I can't get it tuned better I will look at exchanging it I have 30 days and I can exchange it if I want.  Just a lot more money!

Played to day and the change in the AMA seemed to help a bit will try some other things as well.

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

Most definitely!  I would suggest lowering Black equalizer to 9-12 to reduce the washout effect while still allowing for enemies to be spotted.  It changes the gamma and really does washout the image at high settings.

Best,

Zio

Definitely reduce the black eq if it's looking a little washed out for you. I hope you find the sweet spot for your setup as I'm having a blast with mine.

I've since tweaked a few settings since that post but I'm always on the lookout for tips on improving monitor optimisation.

It arrived and I set it up last night! Great news after I ordered it the price dropped another $10 - $299 CAD :) Anyway I got set up and played some Ghosts and in spite of swearing off AW played some in there. Games were OK but I found the blur really distracting - gave me vertigo! I found some info on Google and will try changing the AMA setting to high or even off; hope it helps. Also I found the colour a little washed out for me (I basically followed "quickfaith's" recommendations above) however my eyesight isn't what it use to be and besides I am totally blind in one eye so this may take some playing around with to get it right for me.

Love the set up in my office and I am hoping to use it as a second monitor for my iMac (also 27").

I will post to share my findings once things settle.

Thanks to everyone once again...

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

What do you game on? I'm in the market for monitor for my Xbone.

Hard to beat the BenQ for the price and options it has on it.If you can find one of last years model's you can save up to 75 dollars.When I got mine I paid 149.00 dollars and got free shipping,gotta love the "last year model sales mark down"

Great info thanks - I also am on an Xbox One.  I really like the monitor as it is getting better with a little tweaking and experimenting.  This forum is great - probably one of the best if not the best I have ever participated in.

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

Possibly a little bit of an obvious tip but...

Make sure you change the in game brightness settings once you have dialled in your monitor settings. 

If they were set too high from a previous screen you were using, then it'll possibly make your new monitor look hazy.

Buck, I've never used an Asus before (sorry man!) but I'm sure someone else here will be able to help!

Archived