Does speedtest net tend to give inaccurate ping tests?

zombitroid

I check my network daily to make sure everything is ok. It's just a habit at this point. I have noticed overtime that my netduma ping results (taken from the netduma internet diagnosis test) average around 19-20 ms. Speedtest.net usually gives me around 25 ms. Suddenly though speedtest.net has started reporting a 46-60 ms ping. I only use my one pc for doing all of these tests.

So, right now, my network monitor reports low internet usage, and my diagnostics test gives my around a 21 ms ping.

however

Speedtest is saying my ping is 46 ms. Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance.

I am not really sure what servers the Netduma R1 use but the reason why your ping will change so much when using Speedtest.net is that it will change the server a lot of times. So tests will be different, but on the Netduma I am sure it uses the same server??? This is just a guess of mine. I am sure someone will correct me once the UK people wake up :)

I like using speedtest myself, I also just ping google a lot of times myself instead of going to the site just cmd prompt it. Open up your command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8 

You could also look into changing your DNS to something faster then what your currently are using.

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

is a great tool test your current DNS

So yes ping on pingtest.net are inaccurate simple answer is because like firned above sad you pinging different servers.

The on the other hand internet daiagnostic is pingin and trace routing etc. To google DNS SERVER. Though its self its no big difference then just cmd doing this you self.

And here is the trick but netdumabtesting allows you to disable all the rest of the connections and internet activites while you arw making that test to give you as acurate info about you line as possible.

I check my network daily to make sure everything is ok. It's just a habit at this point. I have noticed overtime that my netduma ping results (taken from the netduma internet diagnosis test) average around 19-20 ms. Speedtest.net usually gives me around 25 ms. Suddenly though speedtest.net has started reporting a 46-60 ms ping. I only use my one pc for doing all of these tests.

So, right now, my network monitor reports low internet usage, and my diagnostics test gives my around a 21 ms ping.

however

Thanks in advance.

Speedtest and pingtest are actually a test to a specific server and is only a representative of the kinds of speed you will get to that server. Netduma tests Google's Servers and you know Google optimises their servers to make anyone connect to them extremely fast. It will however not reflect your daily experience like how you will connect to other people like your neighbour who might be using another ISP which means that it will have to connect a different route that allows access to that ISP's DNS server and Internet Exchanges before finally connecting to your neighbour.

All I can say is, if the ping/latency number changes, that is common. It just means that your ISP or even a route outside of your ISP's boundaries is to be blamed. It is very hard to predict what might be causing it if it falls outside of your ISP's range.

But... the best way will be to..

Run a trace route on your Command Prompt. That way, you can see exactly which DNS server that huge latency is coming from.

So.. If you want to check your performance on a game server, try to find out the game server's IP address and then run a trace route on your PC to that server and you can see exactly what route and hops your ISP chooses to take in order for it to reach its final destination which is the Game Server itself.

I find speedtest to be pretty inaccurate myself. Like you I do a test most days and it usually gives me a result between 17 and 40. When I use the diagnostic tool on the R1 I return a steady 12 MS. I still play like crap on AW sometimes but for the most part the game is still playable for me.

The fact that I am still playing it speaks volumes to me tbh as most of the last offerings from COD have hit the shelf after 4-6 months.

however

Thanks in advance.

If you want to get the most accurate ping result you can do it in CMD Promt. Open a elevated CMD and type "ping www.netduma.com" or which ever site you want to ping.

0973ac4328.png

Thanks all for your lightening fast replies! I am going to try to identify the best dns for me, just to get that extra little bit of advantage. The faster my connection the better. Even if its only like 1% faster! We are soldiers of the duma army and we take all we can get!

Speedtest pings are not reliable

Ive made a .bat file that will auto log into cmd and ping 8.8.8.8 25 times I do not know if i would be aloud to share the link without it being vetted for malware first.

Thanks all for your lightening fast replies! I am going to try to identify the best dns for me, just to get that extra little bit of advantage. The faster my connection the better. Even if its only like 1% faster! We are soldiers of the duma army and we take all we can get!

DNS makes no difference to gaming it is to resolve an ip for a site from a name , this is misinformation.

• Netduma Staff

As Lukasz using the Netduma ping diagnostics will be most accurate because it pings to 8.8.8.8 and also disables the internet for all devices while testing so it is a pure test of the line - so if you just need to know what your base ping is, that's usually the best way to find out :)

Speedtest pings are not reliable

Ive made a .bat file that will auto log into cmd and ping 8.8.8.8 25 times I do not know if i would be aloud to share the link without it being vetted for malware first.

Hello forum!

I created an account just to reply to you. This is exactly what I wanted. I want to keep a log of ping speeds but I don't want to do it manually every day. Could you post your method? Or maybe copy and paste the code on pastebin? Thank you!

• Netduma Staff

Hello forum!

I created an account just to reply to you. This is exactly what I wanted. I want to keep a log of ping speeds but I don't want to do it manually every day. Could you post your method? Or maybe copy and paste the code on pastebin? Thank you!

If you want to keep a log of your ping everyday you might be better using something like ping plotter which will let you see the results in more detail :)

Hello forum!

hm... There was a time that i was colecting a data like this for month and half.

Unfortunately only ping ploter alwowed me to set longer periods of thesting though in the end off each test i needed to make a screen schoot of the results etc.

Pingtest.net also keeps record of you testing resou in a tabel form but you still have to physically test it. Also to remeber that ping test .net its just a bakc up option should not be take as a mian testing tool.

Hello forum!

I made the bat file for a quick test of my pings, just to check for interleaving on the line etc but https://www.pingplotter.com/

Is the way to go for long periods of time if you need to log to show an isp congestion etc.

Archived