MW2 block geo locating, can't put myself in another location

Nuschler22

To deal with the horrendous lag compensation, with previous games I have to put myself in other locations.  Should I have to? No.  Should it work? No.  But, for some reason, it does. 

I've had friends in the same city as me, but who don't know anything about what should be an ideal connection, play on my system and have a terrible experience.  Most of them don't have gaming routers, play on wi fi with other connections going, dont try to open ports, and generally have no clue that they go against every suggestion that should make a good connection, but can compete at home but not here.

I play other games that require good latency and have no issues, nor do I have any other issues.  My buffer bloat rating is A+ when I run it.

I have a gig up (sometimes more) and 35 MB down and from my location, my latency is typically less than 100 ms anywhere in the country.  It's about 75ms within 2500 miles of my location.  And it's around 20 ms to the CoD servers.  I typically use congestion control at about 10 percent of down and 50 percent of up. I've found that putting them at 1 percent down and 5 percent up can help sometimes, but it gets laggy (regular game laggy) although, for some reason, it can help with the lag comp on close servers. 

From the west coast of the US, I'll usually play in Australia and have a fighting chance.  If I connect to the nearest servers, people see and hear me nearly a full second before I can see them.  Playing thousands of miles away somehow eliminates that lag compensation.  I can tell this easily because 1) I've been playing this game since the original on PC and know how the system works and 2) I can see reactions both live and in kill cams.  If I play the original MW2, I don't need to do this but we all know how difficult it is to get a non-hacked game there.  There have been a few CoD's like BLOPS III and I think one other one where this hasn't been an issue.  

But with the current MW2, geolocating doesn't work.  Neither the placement or the accepted range works.  I put myself across the world with a small area and 0 assist ping, and it repeatedly only shows the nearest servers and connects me to them, albeit at a longer time in between games.  And the game just is not close to playable when I'm connected to the nearest server.

I'm curious how many other people have this issue and if they have used geolocate to alleviate it.  Also, have you had any success trying to geolocate yourself in the recent MW2 to a different area.  I realize this was long winded, but I'm sure many of us are frustrated with trying to get a good connection with Call of Duty and always failing.

Thanks for any help provided.

1 hour ago, Nuschler22 said:

To deal with the horrendous lag compensation, with previous games I have to put myself in other locations.  Should I have to? No.  Should it work? No.  But, for some reason, it does. 

I've had friends in the same city as me, but who don't know anything about what should be an ideal connection, play on my system and have a terrible experience.  Most of them don't have gaming routers, play on wi fi with other connections going, dont try to open ports, and generally have no clue that they go against every suggestion that should make a good connection, but can compete at home but not here.

I play other games that require good latency and have no issues, nor do I have any other issues.  My buffer bloat rating is A+ when I run it.

I have a gig up (sometimes more) and 35 MB down and from my location, my latency is typically less than 100 ms anywhere in the country.  It's about 75ms within 2500 miles of my location.  And it's around 20 ms to the CoD servers.  I typically use congestion control at about 10 percent of down and 50 percent of up. I've found that putting them at 1 percent down and 5 percent up can help sometimes, but it gets laggy (regular game laggy) although, for some reason, it can help with the lag comp on close servers. 

From the west coast of the US, I'll usually play in Australia and have a fighting chance.  If I connect to the nearest servers, people see and hear me nearly a full second before I can see them.  Playing thousands of miles away somehow eliminates that lag compensation.  I can tell this easily because 1) I've been playing this game since the original on PC and know how the system works and 2) I can see reactions both live and in kill cams.  If I play the original MW2, I don't need to do this but we all know how difficult it is to get a non-hacked game there.  There have been a few CoD's like BLOPS III and I think one other one where this hasn't been an issue.  

But with the current MW2, geolocating doesn't work.  Neither the placement or the accepted range works.  I put myself across the world with a small area and 0 assist ping, and it repeatedly only shows the nearest servers and connects me to them, albeit at a longer time in between games.  And the game just is not close to playable when I'm connected to the nearest server.

I'm curious how many other people have this issue and if they have used geolocate to alleviate it.  Also, have you had any success trying to geolocate yourself in the recent MW2 to a different area.  I realize this was long winded, but I'm sure many of us are frustrated with trying to get a good connection with Call of Duty and always failing.

Thanks for any help provided.

I also have this issue on cold war when the servers were 200 ping u wouldnt be able to connect to them and it would just say searching, however the Europe servers have never once been over 200 ping for me to connect to. On MW2 Ive tried connecting to both and regardless of what settings it just searches.

I noticed it too and I have been playing with netdum not since today, when I play myself, it searches for the game for me normally in the location where I mark it, but when I am the host in the party then it does not work only when I select more locations but there are much worse pings from 20ms then I have 50 ms and I wonder if it's the fault of netduma or mw2 just like that

Hey @Nuschler22, I replied to your on another thread, but it's probably easier if we continue here.

Just something I'm curious about, if you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, does the game feel any better? I suspect part of your problem may be that your game isn't being prioritised properly.

This was the behaviour I was expecting from the Geo location function but on this MWII game it does not work for me. I put home as US mid-west and start a game and i'm connected to Keele UK. What gives?  Do also need to VPN from a mid west server?

Like the original poster, i'm interested in testing lag comp and how it changes but geo filter is not working as expected.

Any ideas?

To test the duma geo locater with MWII

I have my Xbox-X wired into the duma, I have set the geo-location to the middle of the atlantic, 250 mile radius and added the Xbox in filtered mode, still finds games, takes zero notice of the duma settings, its like it not even there TBH. Although it could be fishermen with via their phones 4g hotspot.

Anyone else experienced this?

1 hour ago, BeerHunter said:

To test the duma geo locater with MWII

I have my Xbox-X wired into the duma, I have set the geo-location to the middle of the atlantic, 250 mile radius and added the Xbox in filtered mode, still finds games, takes zero notice of the duma settings, its like it not even there TBH. Although it could be fishermen with via their phones 4g hotspot.

Anyone else experienced this?

FYI, If I set home via the home button it seems to work as expected, however it doesn't work for me via the set home manually button. Maybe a bug.

Update: it seemed to have worked for 2 matches, I think Microsoft have updated their code to override the netduma, the xbox is wired to the duma but it might as well be wired to my own router, if the geo-filter doesn't work its a waste of money IMO

Edited by BeerHunter
Update.

1 hour ago, BeerHunter said:

FYI, If I set home via the home button it seems to work as expected, however it doesn't work for me via the set home manually button. Maybe a bug.

Update: it seemed to have worked for 2 matches, I think Microsoft have updated their code to override the netduma, the xbox is wired to the duma but it might as well be wired to my own router, if the geo-filter doesn't work its a waste of money IMO

Can you please try the following:

1. Remove your device from Geo-filter
  2. Click the three-line menu in the top left of the Geo-filter map and click 'Resync cloud'
  3. Re-add your device to Geo-filter, be sure to select 'Choose manually' when prompted to pick a service
  4. Reboot the game and test that out

If that's still not working, can you provide a screenshot as to how you've got Geo-filter configured currently? I'm sure we can find a solution.

for me i get a different result.  im in the UK, if i set my home to america then i can see on the map that it keeps trying to connect to Europe servers and will not find a game. i left it searching for 10mins and didnt find one

friday Version:0.9 StartHTML:00000097 EndHTML:00000167 StartFragment:00000131 EndFragment:00000131 night / saturday morning they disabled crossplay on/off and took it completely out of the settings menu leading me to belive there is not enough people on console playing the game why the search times are taking a little long then usual.

when ever you change your home pin and or geo fence location make sure before you start the game to clear your saved game data and profile, so when the game updates it thinks its where your saying your at and pull the dns from the local are of your set locations (Same thing that goes for vpn)

for vanguard i have my geo lcation set to the minum of 400 miles (Im located in So Cal, US) and my home pin to where i exactly live and i would never find a game to the ping meter hit 90ms but i would have a 7 to 20 ping

in another post for mw2 on here i stated i made no changes at all to any of the networking settings. For MW2 i find a game with in the first or 2nd ping search and i get a ping of 7 to 20 like in vanguard. These lobbies are brutal but its the only way your going to get better at the game

the sweet spot for easier lobbies is about 60 ping and for me to acheve that i open up my geo fence from 400 mile to about 1200

If you buy a gaming router and you do not dial it in you will have a worse playing experience then your factory modem from your ISP

• Administrators
19 hours ago, john22rob said:

for me i get a different result.  im in the UK, if i set my home to america then i can see on the map that it keeps trying to connect to Europe servers and will not find a game. i left it searching for 10mins and didnt find one

To do that you need to set the Geo-Filter to the US before you have launched the game, otherwise it will think you're still capable of connecting to EU servers

20 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

friday Version:0.9 StartHTML:00000097 EndHTML:00000167 StartFragment:00000131 EndFragment:00000131 night / saturday morning they disabled crossplay on/off and took it completely out of the settings menu leading me to belive there is not enough people on console playing the game why the search times are taking a little long then usual.

when ever you change your home pin and or geo fence location make sure before you start the game to clear your saved game data and profile, so when the game updates it thinks its where your saying your at and pull the dns from the local are of your set locations (Same thing that goes for vpn)

for vanguard i have my geo lcation set to the minum of 400 miles (Im located in So Cal, US) and my home pin to where i exactly live and i would never find a game to the ping meter hit 90ms but i would have a 7 to 20 ping

in another post for mw2 on here i stated i made no changes at all to any of the networking settings. For MW2 i find a game with in the first or 2nd ping search and i get a ping of 7 to 20 like in vanguard. These lobbies are brutal but its the only way your going to get better at the game

the sweet spot for easier lobbies is about 60 ping and for me to acheve that i open up my geo fence from 400 mile to about 1200

If you buy a gaming router and you do not dial it in you will have a worse playing experience then your factory modem from your ISP

Thanks, good advice in there, appreciate the effort.

I'm honestly not looking for easy lobbies, i actually prefer going up against better players, as they are more rewarding when you win, I have no interest in any K/D figures TBH.

What I was looking to test was the lag compensation and whether I could tinker the match-making for a fairer distribution of lag-comp on the lobby. I don't mind being out gunned, but there are many times where a player seems to be a second ahead of me,  it feels like, gun fights with these players are predetermined already on their screen, you see them first, start shooting, get shit on. A lot of the time its just down to a better opponent but there are times where the gun fights don't seem fair at all, regardless of opponents skill level.

Tonight I played a lobby and was decent against everybody but one player who finished at the bottom of his team, he killed me easily everytime, once he killed me and it spawned me around the corner, waited for him to appear ADS ready and he still killed me. From his gameplay he was fairly new to COD, no jumping, no ADSing around corners etc  but the lag comp made him invincible to me.

I got the most skills/score of both teams, did well against the others teams best players but the guy at the bottom felt like he was a full second ahead of me. Its the one thing i truly dislike about COD games, it's just so much more apparent.

I live in the NorthWest of England, so wanted to tinker to see if the Geo-Filter ease could the lag-comp, I reckon there are locations that maybe are in the sweet spot where they don't have much lag-comp applied and have more consistent match-ups.

9 hours ago, BeerHunter said:

What I was looking to test was the lag compensation and whether I could tinker the match-making for a fairer distribution of lag-comp on the lobby.

the LCE has the the same since COD Ghost (Reversed) catered to the players with the worst connections, so you want a harder lobby dial in your settings to get you god ping 20 and under, you want easier lobbies then throttle your connection down and open your geo filter bigger or even turn it off. Faster your connection the further out the game sets you from your location

I don't need to get better at the game.  I want the fairest connection I can get.  I could care less how "good" people think I am.  I want it less frustrating.

With the original MW2 when connection was king, I had 100 plus win streak in free for all.  Getting better isn't something I need to do.

10 hours ago, Nuschler22 said:

I don't need to get better at the game.  I want the fairest connection I can get.  I could care less how "good" people think I am.  I want it less frustrating.

With the original MW2 when connection was king, I had 100 plus win streak in free for all.  Getting better isn't something I need to do.

This is me 100%, don't want/need bot lobbies, I like going up against good players. I don't mind being out gunned, what I hate about this COD and most of the previous ones, is the fact that certain players will have a generous milli-second advantage on you and they are basically invincible unless you hide in a bush and shoot them in their back. Ruins the flow of a game for me.

On 11/4/2022 at 5:49 AM, TODDzillaInLA said:

the LCE has the the same since COD Ghost (Reversed) catered to the players with the worst connections, so you want a harder lobby dial in your settings to get you god ping 20 and under, you want easier lobbies then throttle your connection down and open your geo filter bigger or even turn it off. Faster your connection the further out the game sets you from your location

Cheers buddy, some good suggestions. The duma is so flaky at times (admittedly much better with the latest firmware) but when it works, its beautiful.

NetDuma Liam,

When I play on the PS5, it shows the traffic is detected in QoS. I've seen it switch from nothing to the high priority traffic detected.  I've since switched to the PC to see if the game plays better and haven't used any prioritization rules. I noticed that when I tried to add the game, in GeoLocate it says on the PC that it's unable to filter.

I'm a bit lost as to how to set up traffic priority for the PC right now.

I certainly don't expect plug and play, but it's at the point where I'm going to give up on NetDuma, CoD or both.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Nuschler22 said:

NetDuma Liam,

When I play on the PS5, it shows the traffic is detected in QoS. I've seen it switch from nothing to the high priority traffic detected.  I've since switched to the PC to see if the game plays better and haven't used any prioritization rules. I noticed that when I tried to add the game, in GeoLocate it says on the PC that it's unable to filter.

I'm a bit lost as to how to set up traffic priority for the PC right now.

I certainly don't expect plug and play, but it's at the point where I'm going to give up on NetDuma, CoD or both.

Select the manual option when adding to the Geo-Filter, alternatively give your PC a PlayStation device type in the Device Manager, then add it with the manual option.

For Traffic Prioritization, DumaOS Classified Games should prioritize it automatically, if not you can add it with the CoD or Games Console service or add ports manually.

I was able to get Geo Locate to work listing the PC as a Playstation.

However, I don't believe QoS is working at all.  I have DUMA OS Classified Games enabled, and I've also added CoD in traffic prioritization for the PC as well.  It doesn't show high priority traffic detected and the send rates  don't show prioritized trafffic.

Screenshot (33).png