Said it once said it a thousand times

For whatever reason qos DOES NOT WORK FOR GAMING. Yes it brings down pings and bufferbloat on website speed tests but after messing around and getting them as low as possible, it literally makes gaming near on impossible. I've played cod for like 15 years I have a kd over 2.2 legit no bot lobbies.

I play UK server geo set in the sea and ping assist set to 10ms. My server is always the uk one on a stead 17ms/22ms ping in game.

Using QOS literally turns any gun into a pea shooter I CAN NOT figure out why this is the case why qos would make your hit detection terrible and have delay.

From the start of getting this router I got so frustrated until I tried ulternatives and the only ulternative is literally to disable the setting.

Guys why is this having that effect. Does qos work in speed ranges of around 40/50mb?

I once had a tp link and it didn't work unless you capped the speed below 20mb because the chip wasn't good enough to support high speed qos (that's what I read anyway).

Even disabling qos if I do a benchmark it shows all settings from qos are still active so I have to turn qos on set speeds back to 1000mb set to never then disable again or settings don't take effect can't just turn it off

Any info?

Currently this router has geo filter and that's it. All other settings are a gimmick and work against you

QoS only gives you a advantage in the event of line saturation, otherwise it will do absolutely nothing, it only adds extra processing.

For some reason gamers have invented the idea that QoS should help with hitdetection, this is simply not true. It's only true in case of line saturation.

This is why I always keep it off at high bandwitdh connections.

Can you share a screenshot/details of exactly how you've got QoS configured now? I see it's been a few months since you last brought up the topic and you mentioned that it ran a lot better after making some adjustments in Traffic Prio, so I'm curious what's changed since then?

One other thing to experiment with is forcing slightly higher ping servers with Geo-filter, around the 30-40ms range. Playing on a ping as low as 17-22ms could have an adverse affect against you, depending on the ping of other players on that server.

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

QoS only gives you a advantage in the event of line saturation, otherwise it will do absolutely nothing, it only adds extra processing.

For some reason gamers have invented the idea that QoS should help with hitdetection, this is simply not true. It's only true in case of line saturation.

This is why I always keep it off at high bandwitdh connections.

I don't think "gamers" have invented this idea. We are literally told that this will help. It's in the duma settings page.

QOS does help my bufferbloat which you would expect to have a positive effect on gaming considering you are allowing traffic to flow through more steady and not run into any queues.

I referred to the hit reg in abit of a mis understood way. My bullets will hit but takes twice as many. This is another thing being mislead by telling "gamers" to use traffic prior to help with that

4 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Can you share a screenshot/details of exactly how you've got QoS configured now? I see it's been a few months since you last brought up the topic and you mentioned that it ran a lot better after making some adjustments in Traffic Prio, so I'm curious what's changed since then?

One other thing to experiment with is forcing slightly higher ping servers with Geo-filter, around the 30-40ms range. Playing on a ping as low as 17-22ms could have an adverse affect against you, depending on the ping of other players on that server.

Yes I tried for a while and found a semi good setup with qos set to never and traffic prior set at 81-65535 udp and another for tcp. However after a couple more tests and just turning off qos completely I realised I'm no better off messing with them or leaving them

1 hour ago, l2eactionz said:

Yes I tried for a while and found a semi good setup with qos set to never and traffic prior set at 81-65535 udp and another for tcp. However after a couple more tests and just turning off qos completely I realised I'm no better off messing with them or leaving them

We have a new firmware coming out soon with a couple of patches and upgrades to QoS, this will help the way it prioritises traffic so hopefully that should help with your issue. 

Just so I remember correctly, everything on your network goes through the R2 right? There's nothing else on the network above the R2 besides the modem?

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

We have a new firmware coming out soon with a couple of patches and upgrades to QoS, this will help the way it prioritises traffic so hopefully that should help with your issue. 

Just so I remember correctly, everything on your network goes through the R2 right? There's nothing else on the network above the R2 besides the modem?

That's correct. Hopefully it helps as I'm moving soon and the exchange is pretty far away I'll probably have to retire at that point lmao. But yeah qos set to never and all ports prior works and feels the exact same as turning qos off all together

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

That's correct. Hopefully it helps as I'm moving soon and the exchange is pretty far away I'll probably have to retire at that point lmao. But yeah qos set to never and all ports prior works and feels the exact same as turning qos off all together

How many devices do you have online at any one time when you're gaming? Is it just the gaming device? If others are online are they doing anything intensive such as downloading, streaming etc?

Figured I'd toss my config in for cod as I've been playing for about as long as you. What was said above was correct, but that only refers to the congestion control part. What you're after is traffic prioritization. Below is my setup and I've had overall a good consistent experience with it 

Source Port 3074:3074

Destination port 30000:45000

Only UDP is needed. Use normal default (WAN). Doesn't hurt to reboot either after applying this. 

17 hours ago, l2eactionz said:

I don't think "gamers" have invented this idea. We are literally told that this will help. It's in the duma settings page.

QOS does help my bufferbloat which you would expect to have a positive effect on gaming considering you are allowing traffic to flow through more steady and not run into any queues.

I referred to the hit reg in abit of a mis understood way. My bullets will hit but takes twice as many. This is another thing being mislead by telling "gamers" to use traffic prior to help with that

On a gig connection you should not be suffering bufferbloat unless there’s a huge demand on your line or there’s a line fault.

have you run PingPlotter to monitor your line just in case there’s an issue there?