DNS stops working?

fatal0Efx

I seem to have lost internet access, and I believe it was my ISP, but anyway I was doing some persistent pings to an IP and eventually it came back up.  But none of my PCs can resolve DNS.  They are configured for DHCP so the DNS passed down to the clients is the router's IP.

For whatever reason the R2 won't allow DNS lookups now.  If I statically assign the same DNS servers I have the router configured to use, my PCs can get back on the internet.  It just seems the R2 is just borked when it comes to DNS.  I've rebooted it twice now via the menu and a hard boot by pulling power for 30 seconds.

NSlookup states:  *** dumaos.lan can't find google.com:  Query refused.

It'll accept a query for dumaos.lan and resolve though, though oddly my PC will resolve that to the gateway even if I'm pointing to Google DNS so perhaps that's not coming from DNS.

Anyway it seems the router itself seems to be able to resolve external DNS... it's able to do connection benchmarks and I assume DNS is being used to resolve hosts for that purpose?  I hope yall didn't statically assign IPs for that.

Ive had this very same thing happen before.. My only course of action was to do a factory reset to get it to work again.. Were you using your ISP DNS or some other of your choice? 

Thanks!

Zippy.

We need a terminal or rapp to allow us to perform various networking diagnostics from the R2 itself to validate it can do things it needs to do.  Such as performing NSlookups against the DNS servers it's configured for.  Also when pointing to ISP for DNS it doesn't seem to show what DNS servers it pulled anywhere?  Am I overlooking something?

No your not looking anything over.. Basically what you have discovered is something ive stumbled on as well.. I will tag @Netduma Liam and @Netduma Fraser here so maybe they can give some insight on this.. Then we will both know.. They should respond in the morning..

Thanks for posting this. 

Zippy.

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

How strange! If you just enable 'Use upstream DNS' does it then work again?

Could you clarify on which firmware you're having this issue?

No DNS works, including upstream or custom.  I'm on the latest I believe... R2 3.0.394.  At this point I've done everything I can think of short of factory reset which I REALLY don't want to do.

Is there someway to like SSH into this thing to do higher level diagnostics?

10 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

No DNS works, including upstream or custom.  I'm on the latest I believe... R2 3.0.394.  At this point I've done everything I can think of short of factory reset which I REALLY don't want to do.

Is there someway to like SSH into this thing to do higher level diagnostics?

Do you have DNS configured in Windows? If so, please remove it from your adapter options. Otherwise could you please enable 'Remote access to tech support' from the WAN settings and I'll take a deeper look at what might be happening.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:08 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Do you have DNS configured in Windows? If so, please remove it from your adapter options. Otherwise could you please enable 'Remote access to tech support' from the WAN settings and I'll take a deeper look at what might be happening.

Yes I have DNS servers statically configured in Windows, otherwise I wouldn't be able to respond to this post.  Setting to automatic pulls the R2's IP for DNS and nothing works.

Remote access is enabled.. Do you need anything from me to know you're connecting to my specific router, not someone elses?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, fatal0Efx said:

Yes I have DNS servers statically configured in Windows, otherwise I wouldn't be able to respond to this post.  Setting to automatic pulls the R2's IP for DNS and nothing works.

Remote access is enabled.. Do you need anything from me to know you're connecting to my specific router, not someone elses?

That is all that is needed thank you, Liam will have to connect on Tuesday now, no need to do anything on your side or be by the router

On 2/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, fatal0Efx said:

Apologies for the delay, just had a look around, everything looked to be running properly. I've restarted DNS and rebooted the router afterwards, can you let me know if you're still having the same problem?

Spoke too soon.  Out of nowhere (while just just browsing the internet), websites stopped loading and DNS resolution through R2 is down again.  Back on static DNS servers and working fine.  This is so frustrating.  What could be going on here?  I might have no recourse but to replace this thing with something else.

12 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

Spoke too soon.  Out of nowhere (while just just browsing the internet), websites stopped loading and DNS resolution through R2 is down again.  Back on static DNS servers and working fine.  This is so frustrating.  What could be going on here?  I might have no recourse but to replace this thing with something else.

OK, would you mind if we repeat the process again but this time I'll enable some remote logging on your R2? Then, next time it happens, you can report what time it occurred and we should then be able to see something around the time the error occurred. Let me know and I'll get ahead and enable that, it will reboot your router in the process.

Sure.  I just hope I'm around and doing something when it breaks.  When do you intend to reboot, however?  Luckily I wasn't affected last time but my partner and I both work from home so I cannot have this affecting that and I usually am gaming until around midnight EST.

Before you perform the actions, however, can you issue nslookup commands from the router itself to an external provider to verify that is actually working when this is occurring.  

On 2/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, fatal0Efx said:

Has this occurred yet?  I assume no because DNS resolution is still broken.

Apologies for the delay, I've just enabled the remote logging, let us know if DNS is now working and if the issue occurs again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming nothing has been heard yet?  It's been a week so I wanted to check.  With that said, it appears to be working again.  Not sure you did anything remotely?  I haven't done anything myself.