Cascading R2 with Asus Rt-AX88U

CrossFitKila717

Hey all,

loving the Netduma R2 and the Geo! Could someone walk me through what the setup would look like so I can utilize the QOS from the Asus, and the Geo from the R2? I got the basics from another post as far as putting the R2 in the DMZ of Asus, along with disabling QOS on R2. But what about UPNP and anything else on the R2? What else needs turned off?

Also, since I’ll need to setup both via laptop, do I first setup the Asus, then wire up the R2, switch over the laptop to now connect and setup the R2?
I’m assuming i have to wire my console temporarily to the Asus first,  in order to setup QOS, before disconnecting and wiring up the R2?

At this point, does my laptop stay connected to R2, as it normally would, and still control/monitor everything while connected to R2? 

Lots of questions, I know. Just want to set up right. 💪🏼

Thanks!

You can leave UPNP on, as it shouldn't cause a conflict. If you want to go the less headache route of setting up. I would say yes, to make it more easy to follow through with your setting in that, setting up the Asus first then attaching the R2 so that it can obtain a IP from the Asus router. You do want to ensure that the R2 does indeed reveive and IP from the Asus which would be in the dynamic range of what your asus is but normally would be among 192.168.1.xxx. Once you establish the IP on the R2 from the Asus, should begin setting up the R2 with the settings you desire, i.e, geo etc. Yes, you would be able to access the Asus Menu putting in the default I believe is 192.168.1.1. While you're connected behin the R2, and also have access tot he R2 menu as well.

The thing to be aware of when you are cascading routers is having different subnets.

Say you want to access the menu in the Asus router as well. If the range in your netduma router is 192.168.1.0/24 and and the range in your Asus router is also 192.168.1.0/24 then it won't work.

Netduma probably sets the range in their R1/R2 to 192.168.77.0/24 on purpose to circumvent this. But when you have 2 routers both defaulting to 192.168.1.0/24 the the XR range then it's best to change the subnet on one of both so you can also access both.

Note that this doesn't work the other way around. If you are on the Asus router and you have cascaded a R2 you can't acces the R2 because of the firewall blocking that connection even if you set static routes. So when you are cascading, the first router can also function as a guest / IoT network.

You all rock and thank you so much for all the info! Here’s what I’m gathering from all this so tell me if this looks right………

1.  Connect Asus to modem 

2.  Connect Console AND laptop to Asus in order to set up QOS (hence console being temporarily connected).
******This is also the time I want to add the R2 into DMZ, correct????

3.  Disconnect laptop and console from Asus

4.  Connect R2 to Asus

5.  Connect console and laptop to R2

6.  Setup R2 Geo and turn QOS, UPNP, WIFI etc off. 

So setup is:  Modern, Asus, R2 then Console  

I plan on running the WIFI off of the Asus, assuming this won’t be an issue since that’s where the QOS will be setup as well?

BERT, with this setup, do you think there will be that issue with the subnets that you were talking about?

Thanks so much everyone! 💪🏼

• Administrators

Yep that looks all good, no need to connect the console in step 2 though as you're not setting anything there specifically for it and you can't set the R2 in the DMZ at that point as it hasn't been connected. When you connect the laptop to the R2 you'll still be able to access the Asus interface, then you can put it in the DMZ.

59 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yep that looks all good, no need to connect the console in step 2 though as you're not setting anything there specifically for it and you can't set the R2 in the DMZ at that point as it hasn't been connected. When you connect the laptop to the R2 you'll still be able to access the Asus interface, then you can put it in the DMZ.

Oh nice, cool…. I’ll give it a go and see how everything works out. 

As far as connecting the console to the Asus, I thought it would have to read the console in order to set it up for QOS, just like when the R2 reads it and can then prioritize?

Oh and is there anything else I should/need to turn off or disable on the R2? Not sure what all else will conflict with the Asus. 

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Oh nice, cool…. I’ll give it a go and see how everything works out. 

As far as connecting the console to the Asus, I thought it would have to read the console in order to set it up for QOS, just like when the R2 reads it and can then prioritize?

Oh and is there anything else I should/need to turn off or disable on the R2? Not sure what all else will conflict with the Asus. 

That's not necessary, the Asus will treat any devices connected to the R2 and the R2 itself as one device and apply QoS to it. 

Nothing else, all good!

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's not necessary, the Asus will treat any devices connected to the R2 and the R2 itself as one device and apply QoS to it. 

Nothing else, all good!

Ah, so the R2 will actually be prioritized, indirectly prioritizing the console, since that’s all that’s going to be connected to it? So, I’m assuming even if I prioritize ports using the Asus, it’ll still be the same as if I set it up in the R2 for the console?

It’s hard to wrap my head around adding another router in the mix, so I’m a tad bit lost. Starting to make sense now. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Ah, so the R2 will actually be prioritized, indirectly prioritizing the console, since that’s all that’s going to be connected to it? So, I’m assuming even if I prioritize ports using the Asus, it’ll still be the same as if I set it up in the R2 for the console?

It’s hard to wrap my head around adding another router in the mix, so I’m a tad bit lost. Starting to make sense now. 

Yes that's it essentially!

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the LAN IP of the Asus and what is the LAN IP of the R2 and the device you're trying to use? 

Did you definitely set the R2 WAN IP from the System Information page into the DMZ?

I’ll have to check the LAN IP. I definitely set the DMZ. I have internet and gameplay through the Duma, just the NAT is messed up and I can’t access the Asus through the Duma. 
Is the LAN IP the same is the Router IP on the Duma? That’s all I see. 

• Administrators

If you've rebooted/unplugged the R2 since you set the DMZ its possible the WAN IP changed, double check the IP and that it's the same as what is entered in the DMZ. If it isn't then re-set it and then set that IP as static on the Asus. Shouldn't have any NAT issues if it's the correct IP. Don't disable UPnP on the R2 as the console won't get an open NAT otherwise - alternatively you could put it in the R2 DMZ. Yeah the LAN IP for the routers is the one you access their interfaces with.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you've rebooted/unplugged the R2 since you set the DMZ its possible the WAN IP changed, double check the IP and that it's the same as what is entered in the DMZ. If it isn't then re-set it and then set that IP as static on the Asus. Shouldn't have any NAT issues if it's the correct IP. Don't disable UPnP on the R2 as the console won't get an open NAT otherwise - alternatively you could put it in the R2 DMZ. Yeah the LAN IP for the routers is the one you access their interfaces with.

You asked what the LAN IP was for both the R2 and Asus. What an I looking for with that? Are you just referring to making sure the WAN IP is uploaded into the Asus DMZ?

I also checked and saw that the WAN IP in the Duma has changed like you said, so I updated the new IP into the Asus DMZ. I also turned on UPNP in both the Asus and R2 and still getting the same two issues. 

• Administrators

The LAN IPs you'll find in LAN Settings on each router. Yes and just double checking its setup correctly. 

Take the R2 out of the DMZ, reconnect the console to the Asus, what NAT Type do you get then? What is the modem model?

33 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The LAN IPs you'll find in LAN Settings on each router. Yes and just double checking its setup correctly. 

Take the R2 out of the DMZ, reconnect the console to the Asus, what NAT Type do you get then? What is the modem model?

So what am I looking for with the IP? Are they both supposed to be the same? As of right now, they’re different. Is there anything that I should do with Static IP??

• Administrators

Could you post them here? They're local IPs so no danger to post them. They should be different, if they were the same that would be a problem. So IP of Asus, R2 and console please.

Leave the static IP as it is, you'll still want that set so the DMZ doesn't become ineffective. 

What is the model of your modem? I'm wondering if we need to do something there.

44 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

See if you can disable the Firewall overall - it's not an ideal solution but it would make the most difference I suspect

Ok, I’ll try that and let you know. Thank you so much for all your help……it’s much appreciated what you do for us 💪🏼💪🏼