USB Storage

Harley

I was thinking about placing some files on a USB and opening them up to the internet.

The are other ways of doing this but it seems safer to use the inbuilt functionality in my XR1000, since I assume that if I allow access to the USB it will not deliberately or accidentally give access to anything else on my network!!!

I assume that if I stick a USB storage device in to the port then tick network access and HTTPS then it gives both access to me ( from my network ) and access via the internet.

My question is what is the Admin Password Protection. What rights are given without the password and what are given with the password?

Oh actually I answered it myself.

I am curious though about the file structure.

Why on earth does the web access start in the folder ABOVE the usb device? That seems nonsensical to me. The first thing you have to do is click the device. It would be so much better if the web access started in the device root folder rather than one level above it. Or am I missing something?

Also, what is the point of accessing the space from the internet when all it does is give security warnings?

I think this feature could be much more useful if it was thought out properly.

Thanks for posting this!

I think you'd probably be best to post this over on the Netgear forum's here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

As this is a feature of Netgear's, there's only so much we at Netduma can explain/advise on. Over at the Netgear forums you'll have the Netgear moderators as well as the community to help out!

You can either use the HTTPS option or you can use the readycloud option.

I tried readycloud but found it laggy overall. (probably have to do with my upload) This makes it easier to upload files to my iCloud account and then download them when I am at home.

The reason it starts one level above root on the device I presume is that you can use 2 devices connected to the router.

It's horrible. Unfortunately it just presents an interface that is so unfriendly and nonprofessional to the people accessing it that I won't bother. It would be much better if they just give direct access to the root and don't bother with the secure access and forced folders. All this readyshare stuff, they are presenting a solution when there isn't a problem.

Incidentally, a question specific to the XR1000, the router interface times out too quickly. I can't seem to find a setting for this. Anyone know where it is?

It's a cheap NAS solution, in that way it works pretty ok. Mediasharing etc from a local network works pretty ok.

The HTTPS option seems quicker for browsing files vs using ReadyCloud actually, I just turned it on for giggles.

google drive is better. The files are stored off site and can be assigned a private download or share link. Alternatively if you want to be "more professional" as you put it then buy a good quality NAS such as as QNAP or Synology. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Harley said:

Incidentally, a question specific to the XR1000, the router interface times out too quickly. I can't seem to find a setting for this. Anyone know where it is?

There is no setting for this unfortunately, it should stay logged in for at least 30 minutes if you're actively using it - it will time out quickly if you don't use it but its open.

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There is no setting for this unfortunately, it should stay logged in for at least 30 minutes if you're actively using it - it will time out quickly if you don't use it but its open.

I guess there is no real need for a setting, just that I find the timeout a bit short when I am on the internet researching stuff at the same time.

18 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

google drive is better. The files are stored off site and can be assigned a private download or share link. Alternatively if you want to be "more professional" as you put it then buy a good quality NAS such as as QNAP or Synology. 

I do have a Synology NAS, but I am very wary of my ability to configure the NAS and the router correctly! With the USB it  would be simple. Two settings and it's done, with the added advanteage that there would be no data on the USB stick that would be a worry, except of course the web interface is just horrid. With the NAS I am afraid of doing something wrong and making my network more prone to hacking or opening up something to the internet that shouldn't be...