Traffic Prioritisation for Warzone on PC with a VPN Connected

lukeh182

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a way to prioritise my PC's traffic while playing Warzone with the anit-bufferbloat while I have a VPN connected.

Without the VPN I can just pop in the ports for Warzone and it prioritises my PC every time but as soon as I connect my VPN to a nearby city, it doesn't seem to recognise those ports anymore.

I've looked into the hybrid VPN and connected my external VPN to the router, also adding those same ports the "dont run these ports through my VPN section" however, still didn't recognise my PC with that "red light" not coming on.

Very frustrating not having warzone on the recognised games list..

Everything works perfectly when my VPN is disconnected but as soon as I turn it on, even a Zoom call on another device gives me lag and packet bursts. All with 100mbps!

If anyone knows the way around this, it would be much appreciated!

Thank you.  

Hi @Netduma Liam,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I'm trying to run the game traffic through the VPN while also having it prioritised with the anit-bufferbloat. If that is even possible??

No I did not disable the VPN client on the PC while the hybrid VPN was enabled.

I guess a quick-fix for this issue is just have the sliders set to 70% and "Always" enabled. Am I correct in saying that? Although, having Traffic Prioritisation and "Auto-Enable" would be preferable while my personal VPN is enabled.

Please let me know if there is a possible solution for this.

Thank you!

• Administrators

So no essentially it won't be possible to prioritize the game while connected to the VPN. The reason being you are no longer interacting with the game on those ports. The VPN is interacting with the game on those ports but then the VPN will be communicating with you using different ports.

Yes using Congestion Control will still eliminate lag for you when set that way but as above you can't prioritize. This is why we generally advise not connecting to a VPN when gaming as it also adds that extra hop to the game server and adds additional latency which is what the router is made to fight against.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, lukeh182 said:

Copy.

Thanks for letting me know!

It's a bit weird but I seem to enjoy playing at 35ms rather than 15-19ms and the VPN is the only way I can achieve that with all the servers located here in Sydney!

Thanks again

If that's what works for you then that's great!