new member.  trying to remedy my issue with my XR500 netgear nighthawk router.  my router is apparently bricked itself AFTER factory firmware upgrade was initiated.  step-by-step that led to my current situation...

I pulled the XR500 out of closet after my previous router stopped working.  I booted up the XR500 to see that it still powered on, etc.  I had forgotten my previous gateway and WiFi login credentials, so I reset the XR500 by holding the reset button in for 30 seconds, then releasing and allowed the router to cycle through and boot back to initial settings.  It did just that and I setup the router as new.  I was successful in everything with fully functioning internet and WiFi connections, etc.  I used the router for about a week before I had some time to go through the dumaOS GUI and explore it and noticed there was a firmware update available.  My current fully functional firmware WAS v2.3.2.56.   The firmware update suggestion was for v2.3.2.114.  I accepted the firmware upgrade via the dumaOS dashboard and clicked apply.  It initiated the download and installation and I was alerted in the dashboard that the connection was lost due to the router rebooting and would reconnect after restart was completed.  I waited for about 15 minutes and noticed that the router was not accessible through the default gateway or ping via cmd prompt.  I went to the router and noticed that the power led was a steady AMBER color and no other leds were lit.  I turned the power switch off, then back on and waited for the cycle but it led back to the AMBER power light w/ no other leds lit.  I then plugged a ethernet cable into a LAN port to try and connect to the gateway and ping via cmd prompt and was unsuccessful.  This is where I am at currently.

So basically the firmware update/upgrade from v2.3.2.56 to v2.3.2.114 bricked my XR500.  Barring any intense or lengthly steps, is my XR500 able to be fixed?  Thanks for any prompt reply.

For reference:   I'm running Windows 10 PRO v.21H1 with all current updates. My router:  Netgear Nighthawk XR500.  

Edited by MangaGurl
personal info included.

thanks, Newfie.  I followed your instructions to the T, in my opinion, and my router still will only power on to steady AMBER light lit with no other leds illuminated (I also confirmed that the led light switch was on and not off).  I included the screenshot of the "completed successful" 0 block restransmitted window after clicking PUT.  I waited the 4 minutes, plus 6 more, to give the router time to load firmware.  Please advise of any other options.  I really need router functions at this point and cannot afford the purchase of a new one.  Thank you.  

p.s. perhaps you have the capabilities to check and confirm the MD5 hash and total block sizes with the firmware file I used (v2.3.2.114.zip) from the links in your initial reply.  Yes, I extracted the .zip with 7-Zip.  I also TESTED the archive prior to unzipping - no errors.

Untitled.1.jpg

You didn't install the firmware using wifi did you by any chance? Just with you saying you had a "connection interrupted" message, that would imply that's why.

Thanks, BIG_DOG, but I did NOT use WiFi.  I was connected to the router from my main PC with ethernet cable signed into the XR500 gateway with credentials I assigned at setup, went to the settings and firmware update section.  The message I'm referring to "connection interrupted" was not the exact message as I was going by memory of what was displayed.  It was essentially telling me that the "router lost connection because it was restarting AFTER the updated firmware was downloaded and applied."  So when the router turned itself off to apply the upgrade, the connection was briefly lost, but when it did not reconnect after waiting nearly 15 minutes, that is when I went to investigate further and when I discovered the power light only on a steady AMBER.  

11 minutes ago, MangaGurl said:

Thanks, BIG_DOG, but I did NOT use WiFi.  I was connected to the router from my main PC with ethernet cable signed into the XR500 gateway with credentials I assigned at setup, went to the settings and firmware update section.  The message I'm referring to "connection interrupted" was not the exact message as I was going by memory of what was displayed.  It was essentially telling me that the "router lost connection because it was restarting AFTER the updated firmware was downloaded and applied."  So when the router turned itself off to apply the upgrade, the connection was briefly lost, but when it did not reconnect after waiting nearly 15 minutes, that is when I went to investigate further and when I discovered the power light only on a steady AMBER.  

Could you perhaps try using Windows TFTP instead?
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Thanks for your follow-up, Netduma Liam.  I suppose I could try the alternate Windows TFTP, but if you look at my reply post to Newfie's suggestion, you can see that the screenshot I took of the completion was technically successful according to the details of instructions - mainly the end result windows displaying, "0 block retransmitted."  So I am kind of pessimistic of getting a resolution with yet a 3rd alternate flash method.  Can you, Newfie or someone else research the details of the final MD5 hash w/ the *.zip file from reply post screenshot?  Is it relevant at this point?  Thanks again.

• Administrators

The MD5 hash only confirms that you've upgraded using the official file, you can follow this guide to check it if you wish to but as you would have downloaded it from the official source it's not needed in my opinion: https://www.simplehelp.net/2021/06/10/how-to-match-an-md5-hash-with-a-file/

While connected via ethernet to the router open command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter, then post the results here please.

Netduma Liam, I enabled TFTP in Windows and but was unable to get the cmd "TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 PUT code.img" -- it just timed out with error.  Router was pingable @ 192.168.1.1.  PC connected to router was assigned 192.168.1.9.  I noticed something that may or may not be an issue.  I checked the bottom of my router for the physical MAC address to compare with the output of "arp -a" command that listed MAC addresses and associated IP's.  the output that was odd was my 192.168.1.1 was assigned to MAC that was the same as the sticker underneath the XR500, but the last TWO hexadecimals were different.  xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7D is printed on my router, but "arp -a" showed xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7E 

I tried "arp -d 192.168.1.1"  and then "arp -s 192.168.1.1 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-7D" and it completed without an error.  re-ran "arp -a" and it showed that 192.168.1.1 was now with ..7D.  Cleared all cache, cookies, etc., changed ip4 settings under network adapter back to retrieving ip and dns automatically, disabled the network adapter, rebooted computer, enabled network adapter, re-assigned static IP to 192.168.1.9/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1, tried to flash again via Windows TFTP with no success.  Repeated previous steps and tried to flash with tftpd64 to no avail.  

Probably going to recycle the router and purchase a new, second-hand one.  Thanks.  

• Administrators

What was the exact tftp command you entered? - You said code there, does that mean you did the exact name of the file or put code? On command prompt did you change to the directory where the file was?

apologies for the confusion, Netduma Fraser.  Yes, I used code.bin as generic value for reference, but I actually used XR500-V2.3.2.114.img and I was CD'd into directory of .img file.  And I am curious why different admins reply to my inquiry always seemingly with another question.  I understand troubleshooting, but the flashes that were apparently a success in terms of no visual errors and the router rebooting itself after saying the firmware upgrade was successful, only to not turn back on doesn't seem to me it was anything I did or did not do.  But I am only a customer and not support rep. Again, thank you.

• Administrators

Ah okay thank you, just wanted to be sure. Liam covers mostly Mondays, weekday mornings and early afternoons and I cover the rest so that's why you'll see responses from both of us depending on when you post. Also given that you mentioned you had the router in a closet that seems to indicate you may have had some issues or problems previously and that you were unable to refund or replace it hence why you put it away so we just want to make sure that we cover every avenue as we do with everyone to see whether we can bring it back to life. 

The MAC addresses won't be affecting that and it's normal that it can change very slightly like that. What do you actually see at the moment when trying to access the interface via the IP address in your browser, does it show anything at all?

UPDATED FIX -  I was able to get the XR500 back to working again.  

I decided to start from scratch.  I went to Netgear XR500 support page and D/L every available firmware starting from v2.0.0.28 to v2.3.2.114, as well as the BETA v2.3.2.120.  I started TFTP'ing from beginning and essentially flashed every firmware.  The only one that stuck and functioned normally was v2.3.2.56.  All the others took the firmware, but after auto reboot to apply, just stayed at steady amber power light.  From the only functioning firmware *.56 web gui, I tried to update past and future FW's but none started.  So my last TFTP of *.56, I am leaving.  No auto FW updates for me.  

Any insight as to why only v2.3.2.56 is the only FW it will run?  Thanks again for all your replies.

13 minutes ago, MangaGurl said:

UPDATED FIX -  I was able to get the XR500 back to working again.  

I decided to start from scratch.  I went to Netgear XR500 support page and D/L every available firmware starting from v2.0.0.28 to v2.3.2.114, as well as the BETA v2.3.2.120.  I started TFTP'ing from beginning and essentially flashed every firmware.  The only one that stuck and functioned normally was v2.3.2.56.  All the others took the firmware, but after auto reboot to apply, just stayed at steady amber power light.  From the only functioning firmware *.56 web gui, I tried to update past and future FW's but none started.  So my last TFTP of *.56, I am leaving.  No auto FW updates for me.  

Any insight as to why only v2.3.2.56 is the only FW it will run?  Thanks again for all your replies.

Well done! It's very odd that only .56 will stick though. Did you factory reset between installing .56 and trying to upgrade again? If not I'd certainly suggest this as it means you can then start from a clean slate before the next upgrade.

apologies for the delay, Netduma Liam.  before each upgrade, I did factory reset in the DumaOS GUI after setting my initial preferences and running initial setup.  Still it only seems that .56 is the only firmware that'll run.  I do want to upload a few text docs from some telnet cmds I was able to copy.  they are named for the command used - dmesg, nvram show and cat /proc/mtd for partitions.  Perhaps you or someone else can determine if there is enough info to deduce the issue with my router.  Thanks.

dmesg-XR500.rtf nvram-XR500.rtf partitions-XR500.rtf

If there’s a problem in the software resetting from the UI may not clear it. To factory reset it’s always best to use the rear pinhole method which you hold in for around 20 seconds.

Did you at any point point use the rear pinhole or have you only reset using the UI function?

If it’s not updating past that one you mention and no others stick it could be pointing to a hardware issue on the memory side. As it’s not a known issue and is unique that kind of points towards a fault sadly. 
by rights you should be able to update without corrupting the memory and if it’s a problem with low level code it’s pointing towards the NVram. 

Strange question but is the power supply the original one?

3 minutes ago, MangaGurl said:

would a serial flash, perhaps, be an option?

Should not need to open up and flash that way, I can’t see it solving the issue to be honest. 

I take it any attempt to update it at the moment just ends up corrupting the router still?

1 minute ago, MangaGurl said:

correct, anything newer than .56 corrupts.

Was there an issue before hand as you stored the router?

What happens if you downgrade the router to the previous version via manually downgrading, does this still crash it out?