If it were me I would be thinking it’s a hardware fault if only one firmware works and you can’t update or downgrade it without corruption. 

Another strange question but if say you left it off for say 12 to 24 hours I wonder if it would end up corrupted when you go to try it.

ok, i understand.  i suppose I technically have done your last suggestion w/o trying.  as in I had put .56 on and setup normally.  powered off and unplugged for the rest of an evening and overnight as I slept and went back to it in the afternoon.  is that essentially what you're suggesting?  

Yep that what I was suggesting.

Well it kind of boils down to you can’t change the firmware. It’s a case of leaving it as it is or thinking it’s time for a replacement. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

I’ve  linked the above, it’s how some apply firmware on a corrupted NG router. Can’t hurt to try, ive never used it though but it’s popular. 

Update:  unfortunately, the nmrpflash was unsuccessful, both on windows and linux.  

However, I thought i would try a different PC.  well, i went back into my bag of tricks and flashed a version of factory-to-ddwrt.img and did a factory reset in the dd-wrt GUI.  i then enabled Telnet, accessed ddwrt via Telnet and erased some nvram, other configs && reboot.  dd-wrt restarted, i opened 192.168.1.1 and issued a new login and password.  then finally, i installed Newfie's first suggestion, Tftpd64 and flashed XR500-V2.2.1.10, because out of all the available official firmwares from Netgear, it was the smallest size closest to apparent Tftp 30MB flash limit.  it was 31,973KB.  so it was successful!  now I am currently running official netgear DumaOS v2.2.1.10.  I ran through initial setup to verify all was working and it is.  

My follow up question would be to ask for opinions on being that i was able to get a version other than .56 to stick, what upgrade procedures should I take to get to .114?  after i setup the dumaos initially on .10, I went into admin>backup>erase to restore defaults.  it rebooted, but I stopped there and wanted to come here and ask how I should proceed.  

Thanks again.

The fix to nrmp flash not working is to immediately spam the command again, so it will fail or give a tftp request error, immediately enter the command again, I copy and paste. Have you tried using these commands: nmrpflash -i net10 -f XR300-V1.0.3.34_10.3.27.chk Replace the firmware name with whatever file you are using. But it will say timeout something and just immediately copy and paste the command again, be quick. Always works for me when I am switching between firmwares like tomato to dumaos etc. As always with firmware updating, have nothing connected to the router except powerbank obviously, and your computer connected to the router in lan port 1, not wan port. Then set yourself a static ip address as well as a dns even though the dns server isn't necessary and try again. This is another command you can try, as always, replace the chk with the name of your firmware: nmrpflash -v -i net10 -f XR300-V1.0.3.34_10.3.27.chk -t 10000 -T 10000 -A 192.168.1.1 -a 192.168.1.1 . If you changed your gateway address from 192.168.1.1 to another, then replace that as well.  Edit: I didn't read that you have solved your issue but I will leave this up incase this can help anyone else!

9 hours ago, MangaGurl said:

Update:  unfortunately, the nmrpflash was unsuccessful, both on windows and linux.  

However, I thought i would try a different PC.  well, i went back into my bag of tricks and flashed a version of factory-to-ddwrt.img and did a factory reset in the dd-wrt GUI.  i then enabled Telnet, accessed ddwrt via Telnet and erased some nvram, other configs && reboot.  dd-wrt restarted, i opened 192.168.1.1 and issued a new login and password.  then finally, i installed Newfie's first suggestion, Tftpd64 and flashed XR500-V2.2.1.10, because out of all the available official firmwares from Netgear, it was the smallest size closest to apparent Tftp 30MB flash limit.  it was 31,973KB.  so it was successful!  now I am currently running official netgear DumaOS v2.2.1.10.  I ran through initial setup to verify all was working and it is.  

My follow up question would be to ask for opinions on being that i was able to get a version other than .56 to stick, what upgrade procedures should I take to get to .114?  after i setup the dumaos initially on .10, I went into admin>backup>erase to restore defaults.  it rebooted, but I stopped there and wanted to come here and ask how I should proceed.  

Thanks again.

Good work!

So now you're running .10 after a factory reset, correct?

Realistically, you should be able to update the firmware using the GUI like all other users can, if your troubleshooting does not enable you to do this, I'd still suggest pursuing the RMA route as Newfie mentioned.

• 2 years later...

Guys is there anyone that can please help me. I’ve tried everything and I’m not the most clued up technologically. My XR500 has a constant amber light tried everything with nmrpflash with the commands above but I just get “no response after 60 seconds. Bailing out” 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Wiseco said:

Guys is there anyone that can please help me. I’ve tried everything and I’m not the most clued up technologically. My XR500 has a constant amber light tried everything with nmrpflash with the commands above but I just get “no response after 60 seconds. Bailing out” 

Where is the amber light exactly on power, internet etc? Are you able to access the interface?